sharetrader
Page 54 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 444505152535455565758641041545541054 ... LastLast

Yes Vodafone can make things difficult. Dropped them this week and then cancelled Sky Tv which i understand is billed by the day.

I think these businesses have to change and quickly. The speed of change is now so fast that it is really difficult for these companies to keep up and old fashioned lock in deals won't keep customers forever.

Ha, everyone loves their "sky was mean to me so I dropped them" stories.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Yes, therein lies the conundrum. SKT is likely and quite able to milk the declining customer base for many years yet and/or reinvent itself with online media distribution/broadcasting and consequently as a shareholder there could still be years of tasty dividends albeit perhaps offset by a declining vested capital base.

However for customers the experience is expensive and inconvenient and for their online customers it is also expensive, largely unreliable and very narrowly focused. Savvy customers are already ex-customers and sourcing their viewing elsewhere, it seems likely this will continue and perhaps even accelerate as more and more accessible diverse content becomes available quickly, cheaply and easily accessible via the internet competition.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    I love my "Vodafone paid me to cancel" story more.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger_Danger View Post
    Unreal. Tried to cancel Sky in one of my houses. Didn't really mind the expense, was happy to keep it, but have literally been able to use it due to rain fade problems.
    Irrespective of the customer service, the rain fade was probably the LNB (the pointy bit of your dish). They tend to deteriorate over time. Mine was the same. As luck would have it, the Sky folk came and upgraded the box and they replaced the LNB at the same time. Works great now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
    Irrespective of the customer service, the rain fade was probably the LNB (the pointy bit of your dish). They tend to deteriorate over time. Mine was the same. As luck would have it, the Sky folk came and upgraded the box and they replaced the LNB at the same time. Works great now.
    Yup. I'm sure it was an easy fix, a little customer service and I'd have stayed.

However...I'm not a technophobe, just real busy and not price sensitive.

Now I have been researching alternatives, I get where the young people are coming from - if you're ok with the morality of it, there seems no real reason to pay for content in 2016 or probably 5 years ago.

The long term outlook for Sky seems certain death, but I agree they'll keep their cashflow up for a while due to inertia.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Yup. I'm sure it was an easy fix, a little customer service and I'd have stayed.

However...I'm not a technophobe, just real busy and not price sensitive.

Now I have been researching alternatives, I get where the young people are coming from - if you're ok with the morality of it, there seems no real reason to pay for content in 2016 or probably 5 years ago.

The long term outlook for Sky seems certain death, but I agree they'll keep their cashflow up for a while due to inertia.
    This is a good example of some old fashioned customer service, lol
    https://www.google.co.nz/url?url=htt...bpubcOHAUV9tfQ

Update : My Sky gear is now sitting in a box waiting to go back. Astonished at how far the tech has come since I last bothered fiddling. Thousands of channels and everything else one could want. The money is better spent on a UFB connection and a VPN than with Sky - you'll literally get better support from FAQ's written by teenagers, too.
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Membaa

Update : My Sky gear is now sitting in a box waiting to go back. Astonished at how far the tech has come since I last bothered fiddling. Thousands of channels and everything else one could want. The money is better spent on a UFB connection and a VPN than with Sky - you'll literally get better support from FAQ's written by teenagers, too.
    So true and with the savings from abandoning your Sky subscription you're well ahead, covering UFB unlimited data, even with say a Netflix and/or a Lightbox subcription, or even the occasional FanPass fee to watch the Super15 quarters, semi's and finals (which works very well by the way, some small kudos to Sky).

This trend of enlightenment to what the internet offers and consequent decline in loyal subscribers paying way over the odds for a lousy Sky broadcast subscription of a few channels that no one watches anyway, surely paves the way to declining shareholder value and return on investment.

Sky is currently a case study in being the disrupted monopoly. While it is not all over for them by any means due to their enormous subscriber base, there is also little evidence that they want to invest to disrupt the disrupters.

We abandoned Sky a couple of months ago and now watch everything by streaming using Kodi. We've found that our viewing pattern has completely changed. Instead of looking at what is available tonight, we have this vast library of TV and movies to choose from. It varies from programs like NZ: Mystical Islands narrated by Sam Neil which screened on BBC last week to all the old Dad's Army programs.
    Now, the problem is finding out what's out there to watch, rather than having to watch what Sky thinks is good for us.