sharetrader
Page 541 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 414414915315375385395405415425435445455515916411041 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,410 of 14173
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    South Africa pulling its teams out of the SANZAR competition is not going to strengthen SKY’s rugby offering. Or NZ rugby for that matter.
    I disagree. I think a trans-Tasman tournament with the addiction of a pacific island team could be a better tournament.

Hardly anyone wanted to stay up or get up early to watch the Hurricanes play the Sharks in Pretoria. The time zones were always a problem.

There have been mumblings about this happening for years now. But the cash kept rolling in from broadcast rights etc so there was never any pressure to change. COVID has now forced that change.

Super Rugby Aotearoa was a huge success for Sky TV. I think a South Pacific tournament has plenty of potential.

And with SA leaving to explore other opportunities in the northern hemisphere, it may prove another opportunity for Sky to renegotiate how much it needs to pay for rugby. I don’t know if they actually can - just musing out loud.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I disagree. I think a trans-Tasman tournament with the addiction of a pacific island team could be a better tournament.

Hardly anyone wanted to stay up or get up early to watch the Hurricanes play the Sharks in Pretoria. The time zones were always a problem.

There have been mumblings about this happening for years now. But the cash kept rolling in from broadcast rights etc so there was never any pressure to change. COVID has now forced that change.

Super Rugby Aotearoa was a huge success for Sky TV. I think a South Pacific tournament has plenty of potential.

And with SA leaving to explore other opportunities in the northern hemisphere, it may prove another opportunity for Sky to renegotiate how much it needs to pay for rugby. I don’t know if they actually can - just musing out loud.
    I see the competition as being a lot weaker than it was. The power house that is Australian Rugby is hardly appealing. For me anyway.
    Although the way they are treating us at the moment.....I hope we obliterate them...and walk away from the last game.

I see this as positive and easier to sell commercially due to times from SA. Super Rugby has been dead for years. A new comp with a Pacifica Team and Revitalized Aust. teams will be good all round.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greekwatchdog View Post
    I see this as positive and easier to sell commercially due to times from SA. Super Rugby has been dead for years. A new comp with a Pacifica Team and Revitalized Aust. teams will be good all round.
    I guess the Aussies can hire some NZ and SA players to bolster their strength.

super rugby be worse of now and only accelerate the demise of the all blacks brand as europe rugby becomes the more competitive competition
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    super rugby be worse of now and only accelerate the demise of the all blacks brand as europe rugby becomes the more competitive competition
    I would hazard a guess the number of viewers watching rugby continues to decline ...maybe quite significantly

Not good for long term outlook for Sky
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    I would hazard a guess the number of viewers watching rugby continues to decline ...maybe quite significantly

Not good for long term outlook for Sky
    Yes....agree with both of you. Exactly what I was getting at.

Update from Sky about SA rugby

While the implications of the SARU decisions are yet to be fully discussed with New Zealand Rugby and its SANZAAR partners, Sky continues to have the right to broadcast all premium rugby content, including the likes of the upcoming Bledisloe Cup and The Rugby Championship matches, in New Zealand under the ongoing SANZAAR arrangements.

https://www.nzx.com/announcements/360645

Advanced Member

Additionally....one would think it would become increasingly difficult to tie the ALL BLACKS to the Australasian / Pacific competition. I don't think this augurs well for the future strength of the AB's, NZ Rugby....or SKY.

Would there really be any competition? Or just ABs and AUS dominating... SA rugby is also looking at moving teams into the top 14, which will be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    Additionally....one would think it would become increasingly difficult to tie the ALL BLACKS to the Australasian / Pacific competition. I don't think this augurs well for the future strength of the AB's, NZ Rugby....or SKY.