sharetrader
Page 57 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061671071575571057 ... LastLast

That is the problem right there. Sports fans will pay $80 for the service but would watch little else. The value of everything else is about $10 at the very top so it makes the cost of the sports channel $70 + $10.

This business model is dying so its just a matter of time until things get divided up. i.e. last year I watched premier league football for $20 a month for the duration of the football season. If Sky have got this back, then unlike Ratkin, I will not be paying $80+ per month to watch one game of football per week. Sometimes you need to protest and if more people did, change would happen sooner.

Advanced Member

Sorry for cluttering up this thread with investment talk but I see BlackRock, some small operation out of the US, has recently increased its stake in Sky.

Guru

Revenue same, net profit after tax down 14.4%, no special.

https://www.nzx.com/companies/SKT/announcements/287931

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Revenue same, net profit after tax down 14.4%, no special.

https://www.nzx.com/companies/SKT/announcements/287931
    Damn, up 3% today and moving further away from my stoploss trigger. This is my most troublesome share and i keep hoping it will give me an excuse to push the button but, like today, refuses to cooperate.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...enue-flatlines

Discussing the changes sweeping through the industry, Fellet said the internet-television services that Sky competed against were "priced too low to be commercially viable".
    Netflix, which has almost 100 times as many subscribers as Sky around the world, was "significantly less" profitable than Sky with a profit margin of just 1.9 per cent, he said.

And they wonder why subscribers are wandering away from the price gouge that is their service...

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Damn, up 3% today and moving further away from my stoploss trigger. This is my most troublesome share and i keep hoping it will give me an excuse to push the button but, like today, refuses to cooperate.
    I think this is the first post I've seen where a holder complains that his shares have increased in value!

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    I think this is the first post I've seen where a holder complains that his shares have increased in value!

I think they only existvto annoy me. Like today. They say the future is fibre to settop boxes streaming 4k. Bull**** on three counts. Fibre is already obsolete. Who wants a set top box - its all Tablets and laptops nowadays. And 4k is for knobs who will sit 3m away from their 42 inch lcd screen.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I think they only existvto annoy me. Like today. They say the future is fibre to settop boxes streaming 4k. Bull**** on three counts. Fibre is already obsolete. Who wants a set top box - its all Tablets and laptops nowadays. And 4k is for knobs who will sit 3m away from their 42 inch lcd screen.
    Don't tell gummint that UFB is obsolete, they'll be looking to waste more of our money on the next tech. 42inch, you need to upgrade, more like 50 or 60 inch. Friend just upgraded to 55inch 4k, so I'll pass on your msg. We were 4m away. To be fair I might have said something similar to him. :-)

I was underwhelmed by CEO comment that they were happy OTT hadn't cannibalised their subscriber base. I would have hoped they would try to incorporate it into the subscriber base and grow before someone else cannibalises the subscriber base for them.

Im interested to know what yout think has made fibre obsolete? And I would rather watch sport on a decent sized TV than a laptop or tablet any day of the week. Content will be delivered over the internet thats for sure, the cable supplying the connection is irrelevant other than the speed constraints.