sharetrader
Page 59 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263691091595591059 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good marketing story! It's the same reason why we need to purchase the latest smartphone with higher resolution, bevelled metal edges, faster processor and the ability to multitask 20 app's at once and pay $1200 for a device that costs $200 to make – marketing spin.

Yes some of the markups on smartphones here are shocking!

I just got me a Chinese smartphone - Xiaomi Mi5 for NZD $350
    Google this phone for reviews - Specs are comparable to the big brand flagship phones currently out.

The only thing is nobody really sells them direct here in NZ.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story? which mobile phone manufacturer is making 83% gross margin on their phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Nasi Goreng View Post
    Don't let facts get in the way of a good story? which mobile phone manufacturer is making 83% gross margin on their phones?
    Exact estimates of cost to manufacture vary slightly, but none the less it's Apple in this case. Hence why they hold $16b in cash & equivalents.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 29-08-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Ah - but there is Netflix I hear you say. Well it streams 4k at around 14mps (which is a whole lot less than Bluray1080 at 48mps) which means you are getting content with substantially sacrificed audio and colour quality

But luckily for me the two other parts of the brain trump the eye. So people are on the 4000k bandwagon which means SKY can trumpet these advances and dimwits think its is a great thing and the share price goes up.
    Your not comparing apples with apples there Bluray uses H.264 and Netflix UHD content uses the H.265 encoder wich is significantly better.

I remember mentally noting that the merger would be off once the Sky price sank towards $4. Here's an article saying that the merger is now definitely OFF!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opin...-for-rejection

Interesting to see that the "Games of National Significance Bill" which also could be called the SKY Killer bill has been drawn from the ballot and will be debated. Basically most of the important SKY sports content (rugby, league, cricket, netball even trotting that involves NZ) would be mandatory free to air - you can see the list here -

https://www.parliament.nz/resource/e...598cb9d667ba5c

No idea if this has legs in terms of getting passed, normally I wouldn't think it would, but with JK on the way out, could be just the populist type bill that opportunist politicians from across the spectrum get behind as its not like there is much love lost with Sky and the public so lots to gain and little to lose.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JAX View Post
    Interesting to see that the "Games of National Significance Bill" which also could be called the SKY Killer bill has been drawn from the ballot and will be debated. Basically most of the important SKY sports content (rugby, league, cricket, netball even trotting that involves NZ) would be mandatory free to air - you can see the list here -

https://www.parliament.nz/resource/e...598cb9d667ba5c

No idea if this has legs in terms of getting passed, normally I wouldn't think it would, but with JK on the way out, could be just the populist type bill that opportunist politicians from across the spectrum get behind as its not like there is much love lost with Sky and the public so lots to gain and little to lose.
    Look at that list of sports that would have to be given free. That really would be the end of SKY as that is (I believe) the only reason people still have SKY (I have it purely for the rugby, cricket and tennis) and Netflix offers the rest.
    Is it good for the country for such a bill to pass? At $1000 per household I do not think it is but as you say JAX, who knows with the political environment at present.

look at all the taxpayers that fund sport one way or another who cannot enjoy watching it because they cannot afford sky tv
    one step ahead of the herd

Veteran novice

The list of games doesn't include allrugby, cricket etc although it seems to cover the most important - to NZ - contests. I don't see it as being the end of SKY although it would make a serious dent in their revenues, offset somewhat by the lower programming costs for the sports involved.

Disc: Not holding.
    Last edited by macduffy; 08-12-2016 at 03:37 PM.