sharetrader
Page 60 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364701101605601060 ... LastLast
    Veteran novice

The list of games doesn't include all rugby, cricket etc although it seems to cover the most important - to NZ - contests. I don't see it as being the end of SKY although it would make a serious dent in their revenues, offset somewhat by the lower programming costs for the sports involved.

Disc: Not holding.

People may want it free to air, who is going to pay for it- taxpayers of course, plus unless there is a dedicated channel(s)(may not be as it is mostly Finals only looking at the list), you will get plenty of bleaters saying that it is pushing out , 'insert your favourite programme here', as well would they keep adds out during the game - at least the same as sky does now?? etc.
    yes it would affect sky as we know it unless the govt paid sky to show it free.
    Though, as has been pointed out before from memory, Sky own OBC who do the actual filming of the majority of games in NZ don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    The list of games doesn't include allrugby, cricket etc although it seems to cover the most important - to NZ - contests. I don't see it as being the end of SKY although it would make a serious dent in their revenues, offset somewhat by the lower programming costs for the sports involved.

Disc: Not holding.
    It would make a very serious dent, and whilst it might reduce some costs, I actually think it would seriously effect its ability to bid for other unaffected sports (eg English Premier League, PGA etc) which could cause futher pain should it be lost to competitors. In this day an age noone really signs up to Sky for the movies or the History channel - all of this is easily found elsewhere - they are highly dependant on sports if you ask me.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by JAX View Post
    It would make a very serious dent, and whilst it might reduce some costs, I actually think it would seriously effect its ability to bid for other unaffected sports (eg English Premier League, PGA etc) which could cause futher pain should it be lost to competitors. In this day an age noone really signs up to Sky for the movies or the History channel - all of this is easily found elsewhere - they are highly dependant on sports if you ask me.
    It might not make such a big dent in Sky revenues, in fact it may increase revenues if the government broadcaster pays Sky for the rights to broadcast certain nationally significant sports free to air. This assumes that the sports (rights holders) will only select one distributor. It seems unlikely to me that the government broadcaster would compete with Sky for rights to distribute sports content. This approach would also be less likely to disenfranchise existing Sky customers.

Are they going to force SKY to produce/film/etc all the ABs games to give to the FTA channels too? Who else in the country is going to get that setup going around the country in dozens of venues without spending a ton?

Poor old Sky, subscribers down and possibly it's last hope, a merger with Vodafone, is in doubt.

I guess in time Sky could just fade away. At least small Mom and Pop companies like Amazon and Netflix will have a better chance to prosper.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 14-12-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    Poor old Sky, subscribers down and possibly it's last hope, a merger with Vodafone, is in doubt.

I guess in time Sky could just fade away. At least small Mom and Pop companies like Amazon and Netflix will have a better chance to prosper.
    Lol, funniest thing I've read for ages ... small, hilarious.

Writing is on the wall for Sky, slow glide to oblivion unless they find a transition pathway from the status quo set top box subscriber model to internet delivered content distribution. A mighty hurdle as their industry is being 'disrupted'.

What that does to the P&L and balance sheet in the meantime, who knows but it won't be pretty.

Monster swings with SKT over the last week to get us back to where we started at on Monday.

I rarely gamble these days The share market provides more than enough thrills and spills.

And the world's largest asset manager continues to build a stake. Some smart people gambling? Or a lazy investment that pays a steady div for a few more years as it shuffles along?

Skt shed it's 15 cent dividend yesterday and recovered that amount in minutes. Good times.