sharetrader
Page 608 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1085085585986046056066076086096106116126186587081108 ... LastLast
Results 6,071 to 6,080 of 14173

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I don't think many people will move over to Sky Broadband unless the packages are compelling. Especially if you are happy with the performance of your current provider (no outages etc).

I was chatting to my mom on the weekend - my parents are long time Sky TV customers (20 years +). Her fibre is with Spark. I casually mentioned that Sky are probably going to contact her early next year with some attractive packages that includes internet.

Her answer was a flat no: Spark do a great job for her internet and she wouldn't want to switch.

Of course, if Sky make an offer she can't refuse then her stance might change - but her initial reaction was 'no'.

I fully expect Sky Broadband will be successful over time - but they need to prove that their service is reliable, fast...and that the bundles are worthwhile in terms of savings.

I would be in the same boat as your parents. My main email is also with spark (@xtra.co.nz) - Never got into a web based email in the distance past and makes it pain now to move emails for everything I am subscribed to, though I suppose would get rid of some I don't particularly want :-)- so it makes it hard to change. Would have to be quite compelling. From what I have seen some of the packages are good even without broadband, so no great need to change for sake of $5-10.
    Anyone know if you can keep the email with spark if nothing else with them- well still may have a prepaid mobile - 3 phones and a landline at present, but thinking about ditching the latter as most calls are just someone selling something, wanting donations or scams

Meant to add, as others have said, would wait a while in any event to see how it goes
    Last edited by Jay; 02-11-2020 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added last sentence

I don't think many people will move over to Sky Broadband unless the packages are compelling. Especially if you are happy with the performance of your current provider (no outages etc).

I was chatting to my mom on the weekend - my parents are long time Sky TV customers (20 years +). Her fibre is with Spark. I casually mentioned that Sky are probably going to contact her early next year with some attractive packages that includes internet.

Her answer was a flat no: Spark do a great job for her internet and she wouldn't want to switch.

Of course, if Sky make an offer she can't refuse then her stance might change - but her initial reaction was 'no'.

I fully expect Sky Broadband will be successful over time - but they need to prove that their service is reliable, fast...and that the bundles are worthwhile in terms of savings.
    What about new home owners looking to get a package for an affordable price?

Advanced Member

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LEMON View Post
    What about new home owners looking to get a package for an affordable price?
    The initial plan is to go after the satellite subs. There are over half a million of them, and they need more rewards. Most of these customers have been incredibly loyal to Sky over many years.

But then there are the many possibilities to include Broadband and streaming packages for brand new customers.

Broadband with 'free' NEON, Broadband + Sky Sport NOW, Broadband + Sky GO for those who still like the wider entertainment Sky offer.

There will be no other Broadband provider who can offer anything close to what Sky can in terms of fast internet and entertainment bundles.

As has been noted by some other posters, we just need to wait and see how well the roll out is executed. I think Martin and the team are going to do very very well on this - there has been a huge amount of customer research.

Advanced Member

ComCom Logic 101:

Sky with TV trucks = Monopoly.

Sky without TV trucks = Monopoly.

Just dump the farking trucks on the side of the road...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    ComCom Logic 101:

Sky with TV trucks = Monopoly.

Sky without TV trucks = Monopoly.
    Given the comcom didn't approve of the idea of Sky merging with Vodafone (and becoming a telco powerhouse) they should block Sky from launching a Broadband offer.

Shaking up the industry and offering consumers sharper pricing and faster internet speeds is clearly going to be a very very bad thing.

Down right anti-competitive!

Advanced Member

Given the comcom didn't approve of the idea of Sky merging with Vodafone (and becoming a telco powerhouse) they should block Sky from launching a Broadband offer.

Shaking up the industry and offering consumers sharper pricing and faster internet speeds is clearly going to be a very very bad thing.

Down right anti-competitive!
    According to ComCom logic they should have blocked Spark from entering the sports broadcasting market as has pushed up broadcasting acquisition costs and made it harder for other local broadcasters to acquire sports content.

Just lol, this is total la la land.

Advanced Member

What ever the ComCom rules, it just ends up being worse for consumers...

Now you got to folk out $49.99 per month to get both the Rugby and Cricket. And that's a special one off deal!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    What ever the ComCom rules, it just ends up being worse for consumers...

Now you got to folk out $49.99 per month to get both the Rugby and Cricket. And that's a special one off deal!
    All I know is that the more fragmented the market becomes, the more attractive Sky looks as an aggregator.

Spark seem to be more pragmatic about sports rights under new leadership - another strong woman showing the way...

It would take an enormous amount of money to get the amount of content they would need for Spark Sport to become the sports plaform of choice in NZ. They would have to pay so much money to acquire Rugby, NRL, Netball, Tour de France etc that there is no way at all they would make any money off it. Their broadband margins are already slim...so what would be the sense in it?

This is where Vodafone have been much smarter. Once comcom blocked Plan A, they were happy with Plan B - wholesale arrangement with Sky for all of their content. Vodafone get to offer their customers cheaper Sky (bundles cost the same, but no MySky) as a value-add yet they do not have to get involved in expensive content negotiations. I see they are now also doing new things in partnership with Sky like offer Sport channels only for $39.99 per month.

NZ just isn't big enough to have multiple companies divvying up the Sports rights.

I am just not sure how this ends for Spark Sport.

Do they continue bidding for mainstream content, paying massive costs to get the rights from Sky and just hope that one day in the future they might make some money (which would only happen if they bankrupted Sky somehow and then could take advantage of lower content costs in the future? Maybe?)

Do they limp along and see out the NZ Cricket deal and then can the whole thing? I think that was for 6 years?

Or do they get to the point that they sell the content rights to Sky and wind down the platform?

It will be very interesting to see how this unfolds!