sharetrader
Page 63 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667731131635631063 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bucko View Post
    finally the wake up call for Sky to start innovating? do they have enough time left though..
    SKY TV reminds me of grandpa who although a lovely fella never really tried to change his ways and just slowly withers towards his inevitable death. There's still time to management to be bold but they better start soon.

Guru

Minimoke, you should be happy, you finally hit your stop loss, couple of days after getting your divvy!

Quote Originally Posted by bucko View Post
    finally the wake up call for Sky to start innovating? do they have enough time left though..
    Nope they (SKT) left it far too long.
    Media player boxes running Kodi are all that are required.

Guru

Just from a very superficial viewpoint, and no disrespect to John Fellet, but I have often wondered how a guy who is has been at Sky since 1991 as COO or CEO (that's 26 years) and in his 60's is still CEO and running the show. Rapid technological change and heavy disruption - is he the best person to guide the ship and foresee where the business is going and guide it through? Do you need a younger/more digital or internet savvy person running the cutter??

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Just from a very superficial viewpoint, and no disrespect to John Fellet, but I have often wondered how a guy who is has been at Sky since 1991 as COO or CEO (that's 26 years) and in his 60's is still CEO and running the show. Rapid technological change and heavy disruption - is he the best person to guide the ship and foresee where the business is going and guide it through? Do you need a younger/more digital or internet savvy person running the cutter??
    My understanding was that JF had some very good connections into successive governments which kept the regulators at bay for many years - not what you know but who you know (and can influence). The proposed merger with Vodafone appears to have pushed the boundary too far

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpynuts View Post
    Nope they (SKT) left it far too long.
    Media player boxes running Kodi are all that are required.
    Except that someone - perhaps not in NZ though - needs to be a subscriber to the programmes you want to watch in order for those plugins to work.

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Only disappointing for SKT shareholders.

Overall good news for New Zealand public, which is exactly what comcom is supposed to focus on
    Perhaps in the short term it is good news, however in the medium term is it likely that a dominant international player will instead supplant Sky. The ultimate future of the industry depends upon how far the disintermediation trend goes.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 23-02-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Perhaps in the short term it is good news, however in the medium term is it likely that a dominant international player will instead supplant Sky. The ultimate future of the industry depends upon how far the disintermediation trend goes.
    I agree with the second sentence and see content being sold directly by the producer to the customer ie. no forced bundling (eg to get sky sports you have to buy all the sky basic channels). No idea on timing though, maybe gradually over the next 10 years? Perhaps buying content in a similar way to the app shop for smart phones, but with regionalised pricing to reflect different value in each market.

And this means I do not see the first sentence as being likely to dominate, but it would be another niche for subscribers who prefer that someone else does the leg work

Kind of like how travel agents still exist. We can all book direct with airlines and hotels and save some money, but some people just prefer to use a travel agent

FYI I see Sky Sport as a production company, so SKT has in my view a reasonable future, albeit in a different niche than their current mixed model of being a content producer and a content bundler

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    Minimoke, you should be happy, you finally hit your stop loss, couple of days after getting your divvy!
    Yep - they are finally gone!

Now to see if there is any potential phoenix that might encourage me to get back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Except that someone - perhaps not in NZ though - needs to be a subscriber to the programmes you want to watch in order for those plugins to work.
    Incorrect.