sharetrader
Page 66 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970761161665661066 ... LastLast

The parallel importing was to do with Netflix, where you are paying Netflix and Netflix has the licence in the US or wherever you are VPN'ing from.

Who's paying Kodi/whoever to watch the All Blacks on their Kodi box? No-one. Is there a free licence for the content? No. And if there was a free licence, did it allow for a person receiving it to then re-broadcast it worldwide? No.

And even if you are paying someone via Kodi, are they officially licensed in some capacity to have the All Blacks and to transmit it to you? No.

All illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    And even if you are paying someone via Kodi, are they officially licensed in some capacity to have the All Blacks and to transmit it to you? No.
    All illegal.
    And with no money (or consideration in general) being exchanged, it is also not a viable long-term model.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    The parallel importing was to do with Netflix, where you are paying Netflix and Netflix has the licence in the US or wherever you are VPN'ing from.

Who's paying Kodi/whoever to watch the All Blacks on their Kodi box? No-one. Is there a free licence for the content? No. And if there was a free licence, did it allow for a person receiving it to then re-broadcast it worldwide? No.

All illegal.
    We can go round in circles but these IP rights are not black and white. Your position is that there is no grey but yet there is no actual case law that supports your absolute assertions.

You show me where the licence terms are for TV1, TV3, Prime or for that matter any FTA Freeview terrestrial or Satellite service and where those receiving that service
    actually actively agrees not to copy, record, disseminate, reproduce, or transmit any content thereby broadcast and I will agree with you about legality because it would be a breach of contract.

But the fact is, there isn't and never has been a licence agreement with the FTAs - not disputing content from a subscription service where someone did have to actively agree to abide by the providers' terms but a plain old FTA simply doesn't have those agreements probably ever since we got rid of the annual TV licence fee.

You forget that there are transmissions of live AB games FTA particularly in Australia - simply because under antisiphoning rules they must be FTA - so you tell me where the broadcaster of an Australian FTA specifically contracts with any viewer about not passing it via a KODI box. Nah, I can't see an agreement there either.

The exclusive rights is a contract between the content provider and SKY for that exclusivity in distribution - the FTA in Australia is obliged under their rights to attempt to stop redistribution but it is not in breach for them if someone watches that content in NZ after taking reasonable steps to prevent it.

What was with the drop? 10c drop but no announcement

As much as I think Sky TV is in trouble over the long term, $3.60 is starting to look tempting given they have a monopoly over pay for view sport and that looks to remain for a long while yet.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    As much as I think Sky TV is in trouble over the long term, $3.60 is starting to look tempting given they have a monopoly over pay for view sport and that looks to remain for a long while yet.
    The Robot: Danger, Will Robinson!
    The Robot: Warning! Warning! Alien spacecraft approaching!
    Dr. Smith: We're doomed!

Attachment 8722

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    The Robot: Danger, Will Robinson!
    The Robot: Warning! Warning! Alien spacecraft approaching!
    Dr. Smith: We're doomed!

Attachment 8722
    Are you politely suggesting I don't try and catch this falling knife baa_baa? I have to say I'm tempted, but I shall resist for now! The interim report was pretty dismal reading.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    Are you politely suggesting I don't try and catch this falling knife baa_baa? I have to say I'm tempted, but I shall resist for now! The interim report was pretty dismal reading.
    Yes you could say that. There is a wealth of opinion on this thread, it would be worthwhile scrolling back a dozen or more pages and reading the story of SKT's woes.

Regardless of all that wisdom, consider that the chart I posted is Monthly 'closing price'. SKT has been in a severe SP down trend for almost three years, it is way below the 20 months moving average (that is an approximation of a 400 day moving average), and is now well below the last gasp 78.6% fibonacci from the GFC lows. It is a truely very seriously ugly SP chart.

JMHO, that SKT has yet to re-invent itself, while its content sourcing is still very capable, it's content distribution is woeful and as long as subscribers (who are imo being ripped off) are declining, one can only expect the FA of the company to wane also.

Eventually if they don't fix the content distribution (increasing eyeballs, wallets and revenue for the whole value chain), the content sources will seek other distributors. SKT are seriously exposed to content distribution disruption as well, as content sources can mount their own online content distribution easily at relatively low costs, cutting out the intermediary (Sky).

SKT is farming an apathetic legacy subscriber base, which is fine as long as they are growing 'online' subscribers faster than they are losing legacy 'set top box' subscribers, but they're not. At this stage it looks like SKT are broken and in a low glide to oblivion.

Even Skodafone is a dead duck, even though it is less than obvious how a long term sub-distributor (Vodafone) would have made that much difference to Sky revenues just because the ownership model changed.

There is nothing in the FA or the TA now that would encourage me to go anywhere near buying (or holding) SKT.

Just be patient, they might sort it out some day even if it's a few years away. They still have a very large legacy subscriber base, though their challenge is to retain it and convert it progressively, without sustained losses, to online distribution.

If or when SKT demonstrate a reversal of fortunes, the market will recognise that and respond with an up turn in the SP. Until then, there are better (and worse) companies to invest in and one should expect SKT to stay in a sustained SP down trend.

Until that happens, stand back, enjoy the show and learn as we watch a once proud company either destroy itself, or reinvent itself. There is no middle ground.

Yes you could say that. There is a wealth of opinion on this thread, it would be worthwhile scrolling back a dozen or more pages and reading the story of SKT's woes.

Regardless of all that wisdom, consider that the chart I posted is Monthly 'closing price'. SKT has been in a severe SP down trend for almost three years, it is way below the 20 months moving average (that is an approximation of a 400 day moving average), and is now well below the last gasp 78.6% fibonacci from the GFC lows. It is a truely very seriously ugly SP chart.

JMHO, that SKT has yet to re-invent itself, while its content sourcing is still very capable, it's content distribution is woeful and as long as subscribers (who are imo being ripped off) are declining, one can only expect the FA of the company to wane also.

Eventually if they don't fix the content distribution (increasing eyeballs, wallets and revenue for the whole value chain), the content sources will seek other distributors. SKT are seriously exposed to content distribution disruption as well, as content sources can mount their own online content distribution easily at relatively low costs, cutting out the intermediary (Sky).

SKT is farming an apathetic legacy subscriber base, which is fine as long as they are growing 'online' subscribers faster than they are losing legacy 'set top box' subscribers, but they're not. At this stage it looks like SKT are broken and in a low glide to oblivion.

Even Skodafone is a dead duck, even though it is less than obvious how a long term sub-distributor (Vodafone) would have made that much difference to Sky revenues just because the ownership model changed.

There is nothing in the FA or the TA now that would encourage me to go anywhere near buying (or holding) SKT.

Just be patient, they might sort it out some day even if it's a few years away. They still have a very large legacy subscriber base, though their challenge is to retain it and convert it progressively, without sustained losses, to online distribution.

If or when SKT demonstrate a reversal of fortunes, the market will recognise that and respond with an up turn in the SP. Until then, there are better (and worse) companies to invest in and one should expect SKT to stay in a sustained SP down trend.

Until that happens, stand back, enjoy the show and learn as we watch a once proud company either destroy itself, or reinvent itself. There is no middle ground.
    Thanks Baa that's just the rationale I needed to make my head think straight again! I'll be staying away

They still have a very large legacy subscriber base, though their challenge is to retain it and convert it progressively, without sustained losses, to online distribution.
    This week, I returned my last decoder, went into the drop off point at lunchtime, there were 3 people ahead of me in a line, the guy eventually took it, he was very efficent, a process well practiced, I said are are you always busy, he said busier than we have ever been, especially in the last few months, it has gone through the roof - he went and put the old decoder literally in a pile next to other stacks in a room, of what looked like must be a hundred plus? he said SKY come and pick them off him a couple of times a week - his business collecting boxes as a sideline to the main point of the store - presumably for a fee - appeared to be booming. The boxes with all the cables etc are quite large and bulky - surprisingly so, makes me wonder where they are storing them all. Must be a large warehouse somewhere if they lost 50k customers alone last year.

If you look at all of those at the average revenue of ~85 a month and say there was a hundred there - thats 100k pa revenue lost from one place - with multiple dropoffs a week.. That would have to be a bit troubling, so yes they have a big base, but if its not growing its sure being whittled away.

The guy ahead of me in the line, as he was walking out - said. Sell your SKY Shares..... indeed.
    Last edited by JAX; 04-03-2017 at 10:54 AM.