sharetrader
Page 681 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 1815816316716776786796806816826836846856917317811181 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,810 of 14173
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    so about a billion shares issued in the last year
    I need to keep up with the programme... but I did enjoy my time off over the last few weeks ;+)

so thats 1.14 cps putting it only on a PE of just under 14
    not too bad ....
    I reckon there is some life in the beast yet.

I think most were hoping the earlier version was the case

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    NZRU is worth $13 billion but their revenue comes from Sky which is worth only $250m.

Considering NZRU are broke and Sky still has very generous cash flows I am somewhat surprised that the market currently says nz rugby is worth ~8 times sky tv.

Perhaps we are just doomed to be poor! 😅

Reading public comments - it seems most are very negative to Sky yet they love the programs. Maybe it is time Sky rebrand or do the merger or just close shop. Or maybe with a woman now leading the ship she may just may be able to change the public's view on SKY and get this dog back up above water.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Reading public comments - it seems most are very negative to Sky yet they love the programs. Maybe it is time Sky rebrand or do the merger or just close shop. Or maybe with a woman now leading the ship she may just may be able to change the public's view on SKY and get this dog back up above water.
    I want Ogg to replace Handley ASAP.

You watch Sky’s market cap rocket to $2B as he coordinates all of these international buyers who would no doubt fight to the death to get control of Sky...

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    A bit like Telecom - "Telecom bad! Because... reasons!"

Changed name to Spark - still bad sentiment, but they still have ~half of the market share.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    I want Ogg to replace Handley ASAP.

You watch Sky’s market cap rocket to $2B as he coordinates all of these international buyers who would no doubt fight to the death to get control of Sky...
    We don't need anymore people on the payroll!

Things must be going good if Handley has been thrown out. There's no way he would have walked from the job as it was likely his main source of income and most reputable occupation. He's been given the boot, most likely by Sophie.

Advanced Member

Where do you get that from - the article says the proposed entity would be worth $2 Billion US dollars total. 15% of that would be $300 million US dollars.

"NZ Rugby's entity has been tentatively valued at US$2 billion ($2.79b NZD)."

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Where do you get that from - the article says the proposed entity would be worth $2 Billion US dollars total. 15% of that would be $300 million US dollars.

"NZ Rugby's entity has been tentatively valued at US$2 billion ($2.79b NZD)."
    Looks like the article has been edited. It did say $2b for a 15% stake.

Here's an older version that has the quote:

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/sp...-billion-deal/

Sky News UK now suggests a 15 per cent stake could be sold for an estimated $2 billion.
    A $2 billion total valuation is high-ish but seems about right.

Advanced Member

Looks like the article has been edited. It did say $2b for a 15% stake.

Here's an older version that has the quote:

https://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/news/sp...-billion-deal/

A $2 billion total valuation is high-ish but seems about right.
    Ah that makes some sense.

Important to note that if this entity does in fact come to fruition, there is some increased danger for Sky of this entity easily being able to raise capital and perhaps starting an OTT service that goes directly to consumers once the current broadcast deal expires (when nearly all consumers are comfortable with internet delivered content).

Looking at it from NZ rugby perspective, I dont see why they would continue letting resellers take a large chunk of the profit from virtually the only sport most kiwis are willing to pay for when going direct to consumer is incredibly easy now (whereas in the past you had no other choice but to go through a broadcaster).
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 14-01-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    Ah that makes some sense.

Important to note that if this entity does in fact come to fruition, there is some increased danger for Sky of this entity easily being able to raise capital and perhaps starting an OTT service that goes directly to consumers once the current broadcast deal expires (when nearly all consumers are comfortable with internet delivered content).

Looking at it from NZ rugby perspective, I dont see why they would continue letting resellers take a large chunk of the profit from virtually the only sport most kiwis are willing to pay for when going direct to consumer is incredibly easy now (whereas in the past you had no other choice but to go through a broadcaster).
    This argument has been litigated on this thread for the last 10 years.

Yes, this is why the stock is down 90%.

However, the reality is that third party media aggregation continues to play an important part in the industry.

Point in case, Sky's recent multi year content deal with Discovery, in which Discovery recently launched it's own OTT service but resigned anyway. If you look at Discoverys earning statement you will see a large part of their revenue comes from resellers.

It just comes down to valuation. Does Sky's current market capitalization justify the long term risks as a reseller of content. I have one think that there's a comfortable cushion with the clean balance sheet and EBTIA earnings. The kicker is Sky's branding and market awareness in NZ. It's a household brand and part of history.

I'm in it for a merger/takeover and don't see Sky as a stand only business past 2025.