sharetrader
Page 70 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071727374801201705701070 ... LastLast

Sky wonder why they have no customer loyality then they do things like this

Funnily enough, I was looking forward to noting that for the very first time in my life I have given some money to Sky - for a fanpass during America's Cup coverage. They have just exceeded my pricing squeal point however.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cyclist View Post
    Funnily enough, I was looking forward to noting that for the very first time in my life I have given some money to Sky - for a fanpass during America's Cup coverage. They have just exceeded my pricing squeal point however.
    I really do understand why so many people, including friends of mine do the "free" streaming thing. So many providers outside of NZ so even though Duco (boxing example) squeal they can do nothing about it. A mate of mine (professional) pretty much streams everything he and his wife watch for free. Sure quality is a little less but there are some pretty good ones out there. That includes sports and movies/series. SKY will not last another 5 years with their current model.

No one - Sky, Netflix, etc. - can compete with "free" services. But let's face it, those "free" streamed services are being fed from customers who have legitimate access to the content.

What part do the professional sports play in all of this? How much are they charging for rights? I suspect a very pretty penny.

We are now also seeing groups hacking streaming providers and attempting to extract ransoms (e.g. last week's Netflix v The Dark Overlord incident). How much will this cost the new players in the industry, and what is the likely impact on subscription fees?

The whole industry is in a state of turmoil.

Time to watch less TV.

Guru

How is that when you get a pass this is what you get on your statement...

Fan Pass Nz London W30Rg Gbr
    $19.99

How much is Sky NZ actually getting?

Sky have waited far too long to get a move on, Fellet does not fill me with much optimism about the future of Sky.. as great as he is, I dont see him leading the way forward for Sky for the next 5-10 years.

Membaa

The thing that doesn't make sense, to me at least, is that they're saying openly that the FanPass service isn't working out ... that has to mean it's not making a profit.

But the response seems weird to cut out the daily and weekly passes, justified obliquely by saying sports distributions cost us a lot money and we reckon you numbnuts will fall for ... a denial of short term subscriptions to watch a game or a week of skysports, by paying an even higher monthly rate than our set-top-box subscribers, without access to any of the other Sky movies and 50+ other channels? What! Have they got rocks in their head? Who approves this sh1t?

The attraction of FanPass is to online streaming viewers who are prepared to pay for a quick fix (daily) or a week of sports, and previously until this price rort, a month of sports. Denying those subscriptions immediately disenfranchises current Fanpass users, and eliminates the revenue. Whoa, incredible isn't it?

So it looks like a gamble, or self inflicted suicide by a thousand cuts, on their stumbling bumbling entry into online streaming services.

What makes more sense would be to create an array of subscription types, and offer up all Sky channels online (using the Fanpass platform which actually works well). For example, pay for a game, or a movie, or a show, pay for a week of anything, or two weeks, or a month, or buy 3 months or 6 months, or a year. Feast on our content and here's the price.

But no. They've bascially reverted to the set-top-box subscription model, with higher costs and fewer services, and are trying to pitch that to the fast paced, low attention span, click here click there, internet viewer. Seems an invitation to the illegal viewers, who don't pay a cent, but won't be denied their game of footy.

It's doomed I tell ya, doomed! Seems to me they're the numbnuts.

An ex-Fanpass subscriber.
    BAA

Membaa

Sky TV slashes Fan Pass sports service

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...sports-service

Fellet needs to go, immediately.

What a ridiculous move. It's almost like they're deliberately trying to drive their customers away to the free streams.