sharetrader
Page 78 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879808182881281785781078 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ohpark0119 View Post
    I'm a wee pissed off at sky.

Disc: an investor....
    i would be too looks like it wants to go lower. im not a holder but a soon not to be sky payer so guess thats another customer lost, i would be interested in returning if they had pick and pay options for channels but with the arrogance of sky wont hold my breath from this dinosaur.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i would be too looks like it wants to go lower. im not a holder but a soon not to be sky payer so guess thats another customer lost, i would be interested in returning if they had pick and pay options for channels but with the arrogance of sky wont hold my breath from this dinosaur.
    Stubborn bastards need to change

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    sky should offer buddles of skinny options and then give customers the option to top up their plan with channels not included in their skinny package.
    Agree, buy what you want when you want it, nothing more nothing less. Interesting if I'm correct, there's no objection from anyone here to paying for Sky content. Just object to paying for content that isn't and won't be consumed. Sky really are demonstrating a profound ignorance of the internet content consumption, I guess it's that they are mired in an old school commercial model that just simply can't compete, so they perpetuate the tired old worn out model for as long as they can stay profitable and solvent. A slow glide to oblivion.

I would say SKY will be in panic mode soon , customer numbers dropping at the pace they are mean they will be outbid for content in the future which will perpetuate the decline in customer numbers and sky know this hence there all out advertising blitz ( why does a monopoly need to do this? think about it ) its in a terminal decline under its current model.
    one step ahead of the herd

How may channels are their in the basic package, lots, Mainly watch about 3 or 4 of them, occasionally a few others, Plus sport, ditched the movies as hardly ever had time to watch them.
    Pick and choose options would be much better

There must be only about 3 people that watch some channels!
    Last edited by Jay; 08-06-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling

The one saving Grace is their sports coverage is fantastic. Fanpass could of big much bigger at the old price point if they promoted it more. I think they were worried they'd lose full subscription customers to the service.

I think sky needs to move quickly, however it seems like they're wanting to hold onto things like the Lions to keep their customers. How long can huge sporting events go on for? Eventually there's going to be a year with no world cups that people are hugely interested in and subscriber's will fall sharply. Seems like there just waiting for that to happen before changing their approach?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    The one saving Grace is their sports coverage is fantastic. Fanpass could of big much bigger at the old price point if they promoted it more. I think they were worried they'd lose full subscription customers to the service.

I think sky needs to move quickly, however it seems like they're wanting to hold onto things like the Lions to keep their customers. How long can huge sporting events go on for? Eventually there's going to be a year with no world cups that people are hugely interested in and subscriber's will fall sharply. Seems like there just waiting for that to happen before changing their approach?
    Sky probably betting on the merger approval with no plan for future

The Lions Tour came up and they probably didn't see the uptick in satellite subscribers like previous major events (assuming they intend to watch it via Fan Pass instead, which makes them less money), so they basically shut down Fan Pass so that people would be forced to buy the satellite service instead. They basically killed their most promising new product for some new subscribers for 6 months.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

I got rid of Sky a few years ago...don't miss all the endless repeats of The World's Deadliest Catch.. (how many times do you need to watch someone dredge up a few crabs from the ocean floor?)
    I would however pay for just a Sports Package. ..Do like the Rugby League..go the Warriors, but until Sky gets with the new world they won't be making any money out of me..I won't be investing any money with them ethier

Banned

Neil Campling of Northern Trust with a bit of insight into the World Wide fall off in popularity of major sports broadcasting

Premier League football suffered the biggest drop in viewing on Sky TV for at least seven years, raising questions over the popularity of live sports as well as the sustainability of a lucrative source of funding for English clubs.

Average viewing on Sky’s live TV channels fell 14 per cent over the past season even after it paid two-thirds more to show the matches under the latest three-year deal with the Premier League at about £10m per game......

....We see the BARB data as the latest in a long line of statistics which suggest the viewing trends of live action sports is going the same way as other forms of linear TV.....

....The Champions League final coverage over the weekend in the US saw flat viewership versus 2016 but down 18% from 2015. (Source: SMW). Major League Baseball, on Fox, over the weekend was down 19% in ratings and 16% in viewership from last year. (Source SBD)

Weekend NASCAR Cup Series racing fell 16% in both ratings and viewership YoY. (Source: SMW). The Champions League final in the UK, averaged just 2.8M TV Viewers (Source: The Times). The only ray of light has been in the NHL Stanley cup finals in which the surprising run of the Nashville Predators has captured interest ....

ports programming represents an outsized source of costs but has historically been seen as an important lever for subscriptions and distribution. ESPN has long been considered to be the biggest beneficiary of the cable TV bundle. The sports “must have” content has enabled ESPN to negotiate ever higher rates with cable TV providers and then insisting that it’s content be in all of the channel bundles regardless of whether the consumer wants the channel is now faced with falling ratings, accelerating subscriber declines and surging content costs. Whereas others now see this position as an unwanted and unfair “ESPN tax” on their PayTV bundle. The rise of skinny bundles, cord cutting, cord shaving and alternative OTT technologies will likely continue to pressure the Live sports TV industry. We’d much rather invest in the next generation of sports; namely eGaming and eSports.

Personally these days I'm only interested in my own team's matches plus just the highlights from the rest of the league, be they playing soccer, cricket or rugby. Maybe it's over saturation and dislike of the huge payments made to the 'stars' that's turning me off to some extent.