sharetrader
Page 866 of 1418 FirstFirst ... 3667668168568628638648658668678688698708769169661366 ... LastLast
Results 8,651 to 8,660 of 14173
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    Just lol

This is a loss leader for Disney not Sky!

Disney+ growth has slowed so now they're back with these lame partnership deals.

Disney channel will be back on Sky shortly. Disney+ will eventually just be for new releases and popular content.
    not in a million years, disney is all in on disney+, and spent billions of dollars buying out existing distribution contracts with cable companies to remove their content early from the pay tv platforms, there is zero chance they will do a 180 on that effort.

Sky is paying disney in this deal, not the other way around (disney has these deals all over the world, just like Netflix does as well - see sparks broadband Netflix deal). It’s impossible for this to be a loss leader for Disney, every new subscriber is 100% margin accretive for them. Whereas sky has to pay disney for every new broadband customer that takes up this offer.
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 09-06-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    not in a million years, disney is all in on disney+, and spent billions of dollars buying out existing distribution contracts with cable companies to remove their content early from the pay tv platforms, there is zero chance they will do a 180 on that effort.

Sky is paying disney in this deal, not the other way around (disney has these deals all over the world, just like Netflix does as well - see sparks broadband Netflix deal). It’s impossible for this to be a loss leader for Disney, every new subscriber is 100% margin accretive for them. Whereas sky has to pay disney for every new broadband customer that takes up this offer.
    Yes, sky are probably paying Disney ~9/month for subscriber. So they are in effect giving up their broadband margin for 12 months to attract new customers.

Disney+ is here to stay - maybe Sky can do a co-exclusive deal in the future to get some content back on the sky box. Maybe not.

Either way, this is good news I think. Keeps the relationship with Disney alive and Sky do need to be bold/aggressive to get the broadband numbers up. I would also like to see some kind of a partnership with NETFLIX soon.

If we look after our customers with great content, service and attractive pricing then we should have no issues hanging on to them in 12 months time.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    Why would Sky pay $9 to Disney when they could give away Neon for free instead?

This deal is weird the more I think about it.

The only way this deal makes sense is that Sky mergers with Vocus, and then the deal is offered to all of their customers.

Seems as if Sky is becoming more of a a "broadband company" with Pay TV is an add on extra.
    sky are already giving a $30 broadband discount to skybox subscribers - who I’m guessing wouldn’t see much value in Neon? (If they have soho/movies content via skybox already that is. In fact giving them neon would cause those skybox customers to possibly cancel movies/soho subscriptions seeing as they are getting it for free through neon anyway).
    Last edited by LaserEyeKiwi; 09-06-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LaserEyeKiwi View Post
    sky are already giving a $30 broadband discount to skybox subscribers - who I’m guessing wouldn’t see much value in Neon? (If they have soho/movies content via skybox already that is. In fact giving them neon would cause those skybox customers to possibly cancel movies/soho subscriptions seeing as they are getting it for free through neon anyway).
    Agreed - NEON is of limited value to the average sky box sub (who can stream all of their sky content on Sky GO now if they prefer streaming. Very good service now that you can Chromecast. Only 1.5 star rating on the App Store though! Some very negative comments but I have had zero issues with it and find the UX pretty good).

Sky need to keep adding more and more value to their customers as part of their proposition as an aggregator. I think the Disney sub will be much more attractive to a wide range of people than having NEON as an add-on to the Sky Box.

If they can get a deal with NETFLIX then they could give new subs the choice of 12 months of Disney+ or NETFLIX.

6 95 1:10:58 pm 17 2,204,553 $374,774 Off market
    7 94 1:10:28 pm 17 1,368,647 $232,669 Off market

Ogg you must be close now

Sky Tv logo is different on the sharesies website, I looked it up the now black triangle sky logo and all I can find is under consideration in 2014, im not a kiwi so I don't know if this has always been a common logo here in NZ or they have recently changed to a old design idea?

IS anyone actually buying and selling? Massive offmarket orders and then tiny on market trades which I always thought was Bots or the Sharesies crowd. But seriously if sharesies who buys $1 worth of shares?

It seems this is already a logo, I was just curious as I thought if they are redesigning their logo what does this mean for a TO etc. NVM guys I should look more closely before commenting again

How does one do off market trades?

Guru

I like how Chris still 'makes it up' whenever he has a gap in his knowedge.

From the article:

Former Sky TV chief executive Martin Stewart favoured a major telecommunications play, with his company dealing directly with Chorus. He also said a Sky mobile phone service was "only a matter of time".
    Under new CEO Sophie Moloney, the mobile ambition has been quietly shelved, and Vocus (owner of Orcon, Slingshot and Flip) has been brought in as a middle man - lowering costs and risk, if also eating into margin.
    Well, actually Martin was the one who set up the whole Vocus deal - not Sophie. No doubt she was heavily involved in the negotiations but the deal was very much done under Martin's direction.

Also not sure about mobile being "quietly shelved". I think Martin is right that it is only a matter of time...he never put any dates on it, and Sophie will want to focus on embedding the broadband service before another major product launch.

If no merger/takeover is on the cards then it will be interesting to see what Sky do in the mobile space. Partner with Vocus for a virtual network or go with 2Degrees for their superior mobile offering?