sharetrader
Page 93 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 43838990919293949596971031431935931093 ... LastLast

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...s-broker-warns

Seems quite conservative considering they lost 33k to year end June 2017. I'd expect more losses in the current FY.

I'm a bit surprised truth be told this one has gone up lately. Whats the chances on sub $2 in 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by value_investor View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...s-broker-warns

Seems quite conservative considering they lost 33k to year end June 2017. I'd expect more losses in the current FY.

I'm a bit surprised truth be told this one has gone up lately. Whats the chances on sub $2 in 2018?

Very surprised people are still buying this one too ...

Guru

They have bounced off the bottom of about $2.45 (dead cat?) from early December but both Kiltearn and BlackRock have built up their stakes in recent times. Both around 13%.

Personally, I'd like to see them up their divvy - they can afford it and have the cashflow to do it.

Life's not all bad for Sky TV. They still have a massive customer base, Neon is pretty good and New Zealanders love their sport. Hard to see any growth, but if they keep Rugby which is looking fairly likely they can pay out strong divies for a while yet.

I certainly wouldn't buy but at this level I do understand why some people would. They really do need to adapt and build some customer loyalty though. They have to be one of the most disliked companies in NZ.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    They really do need to adapt and build some customer loyalty though. They have to be one of the most disliked companies in NZ.
    And that is the crux of the issue......people love to hate them. It is as bigger issue as technology change.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Talking with a former colleague who now works at Sky TV, the content providers have pushed Sky to initiate action or they will enforce clauses in the content distribution agreement contracts to terminate them.

While I agree that this trivially circumvented, there are other pressures being brought to bear.
    The content producers are overplaying their hand in my opinion.

If they throw their toys out of the cot who are they going to get to distribute and pay for their content in New Zealand?

Busted and broke free-to-air television which is reduced to disgorging reality TV shows day and night or the 300ib gorilla Netflix.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

Advanced Member

As more and more people switch to huge large screen smart TVs the decline will continue. Netflix, Amazon, Hula and you tube just one button click away, it becomes harder and harder to justify a subscription for sky. They do not help themselves by continually replaying ten year old reruns of shows.
    Have lost count of how many times I have seen certain episodes of QI or would I lie to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    The content producers are overplaying their hand in my opinion.

If they throw their toys out of the cot who are they going to get to distribute and pay for their content in New Zealand?

Busted and broke free-to-air television which is reduced to disgorging reality TV shows day and night or the 300ib gorilla Netflix.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    The whole industry needs to change, but that's not something that will occur overnight.

I would also posit that a internationally dominant Netflix would be equally bad for consumers, especially if the Apple take-over rumours eventually have truth to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyALD View Post
    Life's not all bad for Sky TV. They still have a massive customer base, Neon is pretty good and New Zealanders love their sport. Hard to see any growth, but if they keep Rugby which is looking fairly likely they can pay out strong divies for a while yet.

I certainly wouldn't buy but at this level I do understand why some people would. They really do need to adapt and build some customer loyalty though. They have to be one of the most disliked companies in NZ.
    SKT profit to revenue ratio is much better than Netflix!

Netflix Net profit (2016) $USD186.68M
    Sky Net profit (2016) $NZD147.1M (2017) $NZD116.3M

Not so different aye!

I'm still not going to buy SKT!

5.3 million net subscriber additions to bring the company’s total number of streaming members to over 109 million. http://fortune.com/2017/10/16/netflix-q3-earnings/

Netflix is pouring all extra revenue growth into content. More content = more subscribers. More subscribers = more revenue which will be used to generate even more content and growth.

Sky on the other hand is generating strong cash flow now but losing subs.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/96015124 - Sky TV loses 33,880 satellite subscribers

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    SKT profit to revenue ratio is much better than Netflix!

Netflix Net profit (2016) $USD186.68M
    Sky Net profit (2016) $NZD147.1M (2017) $NZD116.3M

Not so different aye!

I'm still not going to buy SKT!