sharetrader
Page 98 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108148 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 3304
  1. #1941
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Playa View Post
    I really hope Sky survive this,a lot of people knock them but they have been a great platform for watching sport for many years.
    I think their FY20 results will still be decent enough. If you think about it, the clamp down for sport really started in earnest mid March.

    So they had already earned most of what they were going to earn for FY20 (which reports to June). There will be subscriber losses from this for sure, but they will have reatined many Sport existing subs by offering some freebies for the next few months.
    And they do have a lot of replays and other features on at the moment for old matches - they have a large catalogue and some of the stuff could be worth a watch for nostaligia sake.

    Assuming things can go 'back to normal' within the next few months, FY21 should be decent enough. The Sporting codes will want to get back to it ASAP (they need to start earning again!) and fans will be hungry for it too.

    I see the SP did a big yo-yo yesterday. Up 30% only to crash back down to 19c. To suggest that the entire business could theoretically be purchased for $83M baffles me.

    But you can probably all tell from now - it doesn't take ahelluva lot to baffle me!

  2. #1942
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    471

    Default

    they would have quite a large catalogue of product on the rugby channel that they could start showing on sky sport.Perhaps a 4 week pass would be popular given the current 4 week isolation period starting tomorrow.Perhaps i'm wrong but I do see this as an opportunity for Sky to reach out to new and old customers,with good specials,and offers to keep people occupied, especially the kids who could well be driving their parents nuts fairly quickly.

  3. #1943
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    they would have quite a large catalogue of product on the rugby channel that they could start showing on sky sport.Perhaps a 4 week pass would be popular given the current 4 week isolation period starting tomorrow.Perhaps i'm wrong but I do see this as an opportunity for Sky to reach out to new and old customers,with good specials,and offers to keep people occupied, especially the kids who could well be driving their parents nuts fairly quickly.
    I don't know about that. Unless one is a rugby "tragic" I think old games quickly pale - how many 2005 Lions tour games are enough? Personally, I've cancelled Sky Sport for the meantime, although SKY are slow to react to my cancellation. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and blame circumstances.

  4. #1944
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Loved some old contents that we missed previously. Nothing much to watch anymore. Some entertainment freebies are good but not enough. Sky may look for alternative ways of engaging young people, e.g. a sports channel for online play.

  5. #1945
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Back up 30% now. What a ride, lol.

  6. #1946
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    Back up 30% now. What a ride, lol.
    Crazy times!

  7. #1947
    Senior Member airedale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Above the high tide mark.
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    In a statement to the NZX today, Sky says that it has offered domestic customers a range of options during this period. This domestic customer has not heard anything from them. Has anyone else?

  8. #1948
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    In a statement to the NZX today, Sky says that it has offered domestic customers a range of options during this period. This domestic customer has not heard anything from them. Has anyone else?
    Yeah, they are meaning free movie channels to those that had the sports channels and cant watch sports.

  9. #1949
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    In a statement to the NZX today, Sky says that it has offered domestic customers a range of options during this period. This domestic customer has not heard anything from them. Has anyone else?
    Do you subscribe to Sky Sport? Only sport customers have been impacted...so they are the ones being offered some free add-ons if they keep their sport sub going.

    I have Sky Sport NOW and as of yet have not heard anything. Not sure if they will add any kind of subsidy for me yet.

    I pay so little I don't really care at this stage tbh.

    Not like Blackcap! Christ Almighty! A hundy a month! Not only would I expect free movies, but I would also expect Martin Stewart to lick my bloody ass for that!


  10. #1950
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post

    Not like Blackcap! Christ Almighty! A hundy a month! Not only would I expect free movies, but I would also expect Martin Stewart to lick my bloody ass for that!

    Haha!!

    I am quite enjoying the selection of movies from the 7 channels. Have the MySky and been taping some of the ones on offer. So plenty to do during the 4 weeks, although I think markets will keep me pre-occupied most of the time.
    Thanks again to Sky for coming to the party. Just in the nick of time as far as I am concerned.

  11. #1951
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Hit 30 on the ASX today. Seems like there's more demand and less supply over there.

    Was hoping to average down, but should I average up?

  12. #1952
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Sky offers customers 'holidays' from Sport packages until July 1

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/120625303/coronavirus-sky-offers-customers-payment-holidays-on-sport-packages-until-july-1


    " A very small number have ended up with a pause on their Sky Sport subscription, although we're finding the majority of customers are very keen to have Sky at the moment while they're at home and looking for entertainment."
    "Almost everyone is keen to keep their Sky services at this time, given the huge range of content we are offering during the lockdown period, and there will be more to come."

  13. #1953
    CEO Butch Analytics Ltd winner69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    26,951

    Default

    I see Sky are starting an Olympics Channel

    That’s cool
    “Just consider that maybe the probability of you being wrong is higher than you think.”

  14. #1954
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default

    The bond market seems to think they might go bust. SKT020 bonds due for repayment 31/3/2021 now trading at 40% yield. Thoughts?

  15. #1955
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morphs View Post
    The bond market seems to think they might go bust. SKT020 bonds due for repayment 31/3/2021 now trading at 40% yield. Thoughts?
    I think what happened was that the market cap dropped below the total value of the bond level, which triggered automatic algorithmic selling.

    Also, with the exception of Friday, volume has dried up, making it difficult to make a market, thus causing volatile pricing.

    There's definitely uncertainty, but I don't think the market is (not yet anyway) thinking Sky will go bust.

  16. #1956
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by morphs View Post
    The bond market seems to think they might go bust. SKT020 bonds due for repayment 31/3/2021 now trading at 40% yield. Thoughts?
    Well, clearly those who are selling their bonds for such a low price (thereby pushing up the yield so fantastically) are worried that Sky won't be able to repay the $100M in a year.

    At this time I don't think you can look to market behaviour and 'price action' in the financial markets for any kind of sense though.

    After all, on Monday the market said Sky TV was only worth about $80M (only a little more than Sky paid to purchase RugbyPass!). By Friday the market said Sky TV was actually worth $130M (an increase of 62.5%) - even though nothing had really changed.

    I am pleased that Sky seem to have limited the subscriber losses. I can see how existing customers would be keen to keep their existing packages if they can get more entertainment channels 'on the house' for the next 3 months. When things go back to normal, some customers may even choose to continue to subscribe to those extra packages if they enjoyed the content.

    A friend of mine who subscribes to Sky Sport NOW received an email with a promo code from Sky to get 3 months of NEON for free due to coronavirus.

    Still waiting for my email with promo code.

  17. #1957
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    I think what happened was that the market cap dropped below the total value of the bond level, which triggered automatic algorithmic selling.

    Also, with the exception of Friday, volume has dried up, making it difficult to make a market, thus causing volatile pricing.

    There's definitely uncertainty, but I don't think the market is (not yet anyway) thinking Sky will go bust.
    They are now trading at a 50% yield. Interesting times. Plenty available at 50% as well. Does that mean the market is giving SKY about a 50% chance of folding? Sounds about right actually. At 30 cents per SKY share that is probably pricing in a 50% probability of collapse. If SKY were to survive then the SP should be above the 60's. IF you were going to enter into SKY what would be the best instrument now?
    Really enjoying my free movies though. Good on you SKY.

  18. #1958
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    903

    Default

    I wonder if they will still sell OSB.

    That would give some extra cash and also reduce OPEX moving forward.

    Their ability to produce live local events is no longer a competitive advantage. Or a very narrow one.

  19. #1959
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    903

    Default

    https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/news/2020/0...siness-lending

    Hopefully these measures will make the possibility of Sky working with the banks to ensure it can use banking facilities to repay the bonds a real possibility.

    As I have mentioned before, I think a capital raise at this point in time would be far too destructive to current shareholders who can't participate.

    For the record, should Sky do a discounted rights offer - I would personally be in a position where I can fully participate. And, no doubt, it would probably be to my financial advantage to do so.

    However I have a genuine concern for the poor b@stards who have paid north of, say, $1.50 a share... and have supported the company over the years yet would be absolutelty decimated by a capital raise with the SP being so low if they don't have available funds to participate.

    I don't feel like I really 'win' if my business partners lose so heavily.

  20. #1960
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kerikeri
    Posts
    1,472

    Default

    You are of course assuming that Sky survive MistaT.
    They were already under pressure prior to the virus issue with other providers chipping away at their Sport offering.
    No live sport.
    People with no/lowered income will need to carefully assess where they spend their $’s.
    Most I think will consider they need broadband.
    But SKY with no live sport.....not so sure.
    Especially with so many lower cost options. Netflix DISNEY YouTube etc.
    Not for me.




    Quote Originally Posted by mistaTea View Post
    https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/news/2020/0...siness-lending

    Hopefully these measures will make the possibility of Sky working with the banks to ensure it can use banking facilities to repay the bonds a real possibility.

    As I have mentioned before, I think a capital raise at this point in time would be far too destructive to current shareholders who can't participate.

    For the record, should Sky do a discounted rights offer - I would personally be in a position where I can fully participate. And, no doubt, it would probably be to my financial advantage to do so.

    However I have a genuine concern for the poor b@stards who have paid north of, say, $1.50 a share... and have supported the company over the years yet would be absolutelty decimated by a capital raise with the SP being so low if they don't have available funds to participate.

    I don't feel like I really 'win' if my business partners lose so heavily.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •