sharetrader
Page 99 of 1417 FirstFirst ... 498995969798991001011021031091491995991099 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCross View Post
    Like many of the older (over 35) generation we, and my partner especially, don't wish to have to mess around with streaming smartphones and casting to google every time we want to watch a programme. Instead we are more than happy to very easily record programmes to SKY's HD and watch at our leisure. No technical degree required - just a few button presses.

So just for balance, not everyone hates SKY. (and I'm not a holder except via ETFs).

Just a great pity that it wasn't allowed to amalgamate with VOD and become a proper modern commercial Kiwi media company.
    The new TV’s simplify all that Blackcross. Ad free Netflix is right there on the remote. YouTube easily accessed via apps. Yes, I was the same, especially for my wife. We’ve added a Freeview box with a hard drive to record in a similar way to Sky any of the Freeview stuff we want to watch.

All good. Interestingly, in the media rich world we now live in, we are watching less TV overall. But what we do watch we are much more selective about.

Cheers, RTM (>60yrs)

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    The new TV’s simplify all that Blackcross. Ad free Netflix is right there on the remote. YouTube easily accessed via apps. Yes, I was the same, especially for my wife. We’ve added a Freeview box with a hard drive to record in a similar way to Sky any of the Freeview stuff we want to watch.

All good. Interestingly, in the media rich world we now live in, we are watching less TV overall. But what we do watch we are much more selective about.

Cheers, RTM (>60yrs)
    Curious what brand you chose mate and where you bought it and price, hope you don't mind sharing.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Curious what brand you chose mate and where you bought it and price, hope you don't mind sharing.
    You cant go past the Tivo - something SKY ought to have looked at.

Cheers, RTM (>60yrs)
    It would be nice to be able to attach a USB drive to the TV to record Freeview directly to that instead of needing to buy a Freeview box (when the TV is also Freeview compatible).

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/hotdea...-recorder.html
    We've got an older model of that, but it's only 500GB and cost us $888 on special 7 years ago, but it is still 100% mint. If / when it dies we would buy another.
    Plus the TV we've bought since can record to hard drive + all the on demand apps + we have lightbox (free through spark), netflix, and amazon prime. We have more TV and movies then we could ever possibly watch, all without Sky.

when spark release there new media channel upgrade , sky might lose more subscribers. spark probably seriously looking at bidding for sport too i reckon the more sky reveunes fall
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

No...don't mind sharing at all. I LIKE electronic toys.
    Bought a fairly up model Panasonic TV. Certainly wasn't a budget driven decision. It's great. Only slight ? I have is it is not Android...which is good....but the "operating system" is Firefox. The developers of this have stopped supporting / refining this. So now down to support from Panasonic, so not sure how this will go into the future. Freeview box is SatBox S8200 1TB Hard drive...seems adequate. Tuner in TV is just terrestrial, so in the far north get our TV signal via the old SKY satellite and the Freeview box.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/hotdea...-recorder.html
    We've got an older model of that, but it's only 500GB and cost us $888 on special 7 years ago, but it is still 100% mint. If / when it dies we would buy another.
    Plus the TV we've bought since can record to hard drive + all the on demand apps + we have lightbox (free through spark), netflix, and amazon prime. We have more TV and movies then we could ever possibly watch, all without Sky.
    Yes....we have an older version of this....unfortunately not great up North as it only likes Terrestrial Freeview signal. And then that gets a bit messy from then on.

Also note: don't think you get Freeview in HD via the satellite version

No...don't mind sharing at all. I LIKE electronic toys.
    Bought a fairly up model Panasonic TV. Certainly wasn't a budget driven decision. It's great. Only slight ? I have is it is not Android...which is good....but the "operating system" is Firefox. The developers of this have stopped supporting / refining this. So now down to support from Panasonic, so not sure how this will go into the future. Freeview box is SatBox S8200 1TB Hard drive...seems adequate. Tuner in TV is just terrestrial, so in the far north get our TV signal via the old SKY satellite and the Freeview box.
    Thanks. Got a little bit on an inertia problem about doing anything right at the minute which I'm blaming on the lovely and charming Claire Danes. Sky gave complimentary access the other day to Soho and I see she's headlining the 7th season of Homeland at present, one of my all time favorite shows. Will review how much I am prepared to let Sky continue to plunder my account for each month at the end of the latest Homeland season.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine