sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MarketMaker 5.3

Default MarketMaker 5.3

A new thread!
    Well there isnt anywhere else relevant and I just wanted to comment on MarketMaker (CMC's trading platform) and its upgraded version 5.3

Like its predecessor its got a huge print on the PC system but is stable enough in itself. Memory hog alert! and not just RAM or pagefile altho definitely those but at a very low system resource level. I have found this seems to give other applications issues - or arent I supposed to have 15 windows open in my default layout?

It takes a veritable age to start up too even with my dual core processor. It wasnt quite so bad in the previous version and is kind of annoying.

Some new features in the order placing are most welcome however. OCO's are much easier to place. I havent experimented with If Dones yet, but the whole layout is more intuitive around the new order window.

Prices can now display in Fade, Flash or neither, depending on how attension seeking you want price movements to be. And charts now can be set to use bid or offer.

There are a few more graphs properties available, I particularly enjoy pottering with the Point and Figure, but theres also Kagi, Renko , Three Line Break, and Heikin-Ashi with scale types of Linear, Log, and Reference.

Indicators are abundant, ADX, ATR , DMI, CMO, RSI, TRIX, Pivot Points, etc etc
    SuperTrend was there before but is a useful trailing stop type indicator. I hadnt noticed Ichimoku before either so will surely spend some time with that cloudy magic now.

I've also discovered (again most of them may have been there before) drawing tools that include Fib Retracement, Fib Fan, Fib Arc, Gann Arc , Gann Lines , along with Speed lines AND Andrews pitchfork. Wow I dont need to do the calculations anymore.

So all in all some of the major limitations have been fixed except for the lack of a trailing stop mechanism.
    One day maybe.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Peat, what are your 'running costs' associated with MarketMaker?
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

nothing...
    one must have an open account with CMC (min NZ1000) but there are no data feed charges or anything like that.(except for ASX quotes where the ASX charges so CMC obviously must recoup)

but I pretty much only trade forex where u pay thru the spread. so no running costs for me.

You memtion that it is a bit of a drain on your system. What are the specs of your cpu?

As with most computing issues its not the CPU thats the issue, but memory or RAM. I have a gig of RAM and it uses 3/4 or more of that - which is quite unbelievable but thats how it is.
    Even that wouldnt be too bad normally but as I said running it seems to make other applications fail with random error messages due to low system resources. Even in my experience as a computer engineer this is unusual, but I can live with it by not multitasking so much or shutting down MM if I need to. But I can run IE7 as well so it doesnt completely turn the computer into a 1 operation machine.
    So yeh you will need a good chunk of memory to run this programme. but memory is cheap these days , imo everyone should have a gig.

One final question, what made you decide to move to CMC? What makes them preferable to your previous broker? (if you had a previous one).

Thanks in advance
    Steve

I had blown my previous a/c [xx(][xx(][xx(] with GFT based in CHicago and it was a huge hassle transferring money to them so when I regrouped I looked for a local broker. And after using CMC for over 6 months now I have had no problems with them.

Thanks Peat, you have been very helpful

Hi peat,

this is probably an irrelevant question to you since you trade forex, but do you know how to create a volume bar chart and the on-balance volume indicator?

XC
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

no sorry , I cant say I do.
    I had a quick look on some stock charts but couldnt see them. I just use findata for looking at vol graphs.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....