sharetrader
Page 197 of 840 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247297697 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 8393
    IMO

One rule dont allow anyone else in that car if you're prepared to take the risk.All the best safety wise and maximas merrimas to you percy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Having already owned one I know what a great car they are.Drive well,4 doors,with a good boot.
    I had a 2005 ,done just over 120,000kl,was just getting a bit loose.
    On recent holiday, I had one that had only done 85,000 kl.Drove a lot nicer than mine one.A lot tighter.
    Then saw this one advertised on Trade Me,19,500 kl for $6,000.Ended up buying it for $5,500 plus on road costs.
    Told the secret is to change the oil AND filter every 5,000 Kl.Gave my old one to one of the daughters.
    I think it should last me 10 years or more.A fantastic car.
    Nice one Percy, I'm still driving my 1994 Suzuki Vitara, just clocked 320000k, a few battle scars on the exterior etc. Changing the oil every 5000k along with filter is not necessary, every 10000k is just fine for maximum engine life ,unless you do all your driving on gravel roads towing a trailer.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Nice one Percy, I'm still driving my 1994 Suzuki Vitara, just clocked 320000k, a few battle scars on the exterior etc. Changing the oil every 5000k along with filter is not necessary, every 10000k is just fine for maximum engine life ,unless you do all your driving on gravel roads towing a trailer.
    Percy needs a car like that for his books. Believe you me. I've seen him open the boot and the books fall out but he knows where each book is :-)

The Kid

Still driving my 1999 Totyota Hilux just racked up 400,000 km a couple of weeks ago. Done nothing to it apart from regular maintenance. Was going to upgrade to a new Ford Ranger a few years ago, like a lot of my mates did, but put the $$ into the sharemarket instead

IMO

Appropriate thread.Turners say no safety rating at all for your Hilux IAK. Good luck.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Appropriate thread.Turners say no safety rating at all for your Hilux IAK. Good luck.
    The fact that it's a 1999 model with 400000k on the clock proves it's impeccable safety record.
    Last edited by couta1; 16-12-2017 at 01:27 PM.

The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Hey, it's got safety belts what more do you need? lol.

Not sure if you've seen Top Gears' "killing a Toyota" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk

The Kid

The fact that it's a 1999 model with 400000k on the clock proves it's impeccable safety record.
    Indestructible hilux + an exceptional driver = Safety

I'll just put this out there. I continue to be amazed by people with a seven figure portfolio, (some of whom I count as my friends) that drive around in really old cars with a one or no star safety rating. I know many of them that do this which continues to strike me as a strange phenomenon. What is it about the relentless pursuit of wealth accretion that drives them to make this apparent illogical choice ?
    Tens of thousands of people in N.Z. every year wish they had bought a stronger safer car when they are involved in an accident. Okay maybe some think that they're a really good driver and they won't be involved in an accident but what about the other person hitting you. Maybe they don't value their own safety much but even then even harder to explain is that these people are happy to see their kids, (who might be driving around their grandkids as well) and or their partner drive around in a vehicle with a very poor safety record. Surely this is illogical for an investor with substantial means to acquire a safer vehicle for their family ?

Turners have a great website. I went on there and there's lots of cars that are not on trade me and its not difficult to buy a good used vehicle with a four or five star safety rating for circa $15K. Safety ratings are generally listed with each vehicle listing. Yes a better car will depreciate more than some old dunger that's almost depreciation proof, (but will that kill you or make a material dent in your portfolio value ?) but yes you, your partner, your kids and your grandkids are FAR more likely if involved in a serious accident to come out materially better off than they would in a cheap old vehicle with a poor crash test record. The road toll of several hundred is only the very tip of the iceburg.

My brother runs a panel beating shop and tells me there's literally tens of thousands of bad accidents in N.Z. per year many of which result in serious / moderate injury.
    I don't understand why the accumulation of money should be put ahead of one's loved one's safety and I put my money where my mouth is and bought Mrs Beagle a lovely new 2017 Honda Civic this year, (5 star safety rated on course). $26,500, actually it was a demo done a few thousand km's and comes with a five year warranty. Should easily give ten years trouble free very fuel efficient running.
    Its too late after you've had a serious accident to wish you'd made a more common-sense allocation of funds to a safer vehicle for your family.
    One of my clients swears his Audi saved his life when involved in a head-on accident...he now replaces it every 7 years or so with the same model whenever Audi update it.
    No point being the richest man in the grave is there ?

Why is it some people spend ages and ages deciding on portfolio allocation to maximize their future wealth accretion but make seemingly illogical choices when it comes to allocating a decent amount of capital to some thing so important as their own their families safety when they can so obviously afford a safer solution ?
    Are they letting their possibly "insatiable" desire to accumulate wealth run rough-shod over their own families safety ?
    Just a thought...Money is like sea water, if that's your only security you'll never have enough, don't ask me to quote chapter and verse but its in Proverbs somewhere.
    Is a more balanced approach to valuing one's families safety a more common sense approach ?... after all it doesn't cost a small fortune to drive a much safer vehicle.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-12-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Something I am sure we have all noticed is many people with large amounts of wealth actually live very frugal lives. They may simply not want a flashy new car or maybe they havnt really considered the safety aspect. Friends of mine were in a car accident recently, rolled three times doing 100km on the open road and walked away with minor injuries. They were told the safety features of their car saved their lives. So you make a very valid point Mr Beagle