sharetrader
Page 198 of 840 FirstFirst ... 98148188194195196197198199200201202208248298698 ... LastLast
Results 1,971 to 1,980 of 8398
    percy

Once you are in the position to buy a new Merc, the desire to own one greatly diminishes.
    Last edited by percy; 16-12-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Once you are in the position to buy a new Merc, the desire to own one greatly diminishes.
    One could write a whole page as to why someone with a seven figure portfolio may appear to be so frugal but there's no need ,as your one liner sums it up perfectly.

Advanced Member

Never been able to understand the desire to begin with..

[QUOTE=Beagle;696935]I'll just put this out there. I continue to be amazed by people with a seven figure portfolio, (some of whom I count as my friends) that drive around in really old cars with a one or no star safety rating. I know many of them that do this which continues to strike me as a strange phenomenon. What is it about the relentless pursuit of wealth accretion that drives them to make this apparent illogical choice ?

Its because wealth accreation is a game. This is true particularly of sharemarket investing. I think of it as being monopoly ,snakes and ladders, poker and many others all rolled up into one. My partner tells me that the only money that is mine is the money I spend and I think she is right. It is hard to break the habit and the sharemarket game is the best game in town.

I have a big portfolio, getting toward 8 figures. My wife says it is because she buys all the specials and she is correct.

The Kid

[QUOTE=Brain;696952]
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I'll just put this out there. I continue to be amazed by people with a seven figure portfolio, (some of whom I count as my friends) that drive around in really old cars with a one or no star safety rating. I know many of them that do this which continues to strike me as a strange phenomenon. What is it about the relentless pursuit of wealth accretion that drives them to make this apparent illogical choice ?

Its because wealth accreation is a game. This is true particularly of sharemarket investing. I think of it as being monopoly ,snakes and ladders, poker and many others all rolled up into one. My partner tells me that the only money that is mine is the money I spend and I think she is right. It is hard to break the habit and the sharemarket game is the best game in town.
    I love the game too. I run my own business, love my work and earn well. My end goal is to get into a position where my portfolio sustains a dividend stream ($50K) for my retirement (in another 15 - 20 years or so). BTW if we go out as a family we take my partner's Toyta Corolla 2008 which has a 5 star safety rating. Personally I feel safer in the Hilux - other vehicles can see you better (& tend to avoid you) and it never gets much faster than 100 km.

Quote Originally Posted by IAK View Post
    Hey, it's got safety belts what more do you need? lol.

Not sure if you've seen Top Gears' "killing a Toyota" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
    They are tough all right but that is the problem. The only crumple zone is your chest when it hits the steering wheel.

Advanced Member

Could not agree more. I do see many people however who don't live by this model and spend and borrow throughout their lives. I can't live with debt over my shoulders, as I need to pay it back and feel uncomfortable until it is paid back (mortgage which I paid off in 9 years). The ones who spend it don't hesitate to mention to me "you only live once". My thinking is that these people can't be happy and content with their lives. That is not a fact, just my way of thinking.

The possession of the thing is the end of the entertainment. That is what I have learned though out life so far.
    Last edited by Ggcc; 17-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.

The Kid

Quote Originally Posted by freddagg View Post
    They are tough all right but that is the problem. The only crumple zone is your chest when it hits the steering wheel.
    True, even worse for pedestrians lol. Still, It’s a lot safer than riding a motorbike or a bicycle.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freddagg View Post
    During 1990, went off the top of the Akatarawa road after a small truck travelling in the opposite direction forced us off coming around a blind corner(Those who know that road will know how bad it is) and rolled over and over a half a dozen times before landing roof down in the river, was driving a very solid 1974 Toyota corona at the time. The roof was caved in within a few inches of our heads, if we had been in a modern high safety rated car,we wouldn't be alive today as the roof would have been crumbled into our heads.Sometimes old and solid is better.