sharetrader
Page 199 of 840 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249299699 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 8393

Default Topical

Full front page of the Herald today N.Z. has 352 deaths on the roads this year - highest in 7 years. In the blink of an eye http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11955958

Food for thought - Suppose one of your kids or your partner is one of the many thousands of people seriously injured on the roads next year.
    What good is your share portfolio to you as you visit them in hospital and look at them suffering serious injuries, knowing that you could have done something about it and ensured they were driving a safer vehicle and that probably the effects of their injuries may have been materially less severe with a safer vehicle ? How do you live with yourself if your partner of child is maimed for life or killed ? In the print edition of the N.Z. herald it is reported that the pastor that was killed in this accident was going to preach a message the following Sunday. Her partner had to do it. The Message was about being grateful for what God has given us.

Maybe at this time of year after a great strong year in the sharemarket it might be time to pause and reflect from the game and do a stock take on the bigger picture.
    If as my Uni professor suggested "Investment is simply deferred consumption" perhaps it makes more sense not to live life so frugally we take untoward risks with our loved ones lives ?

Percy brought up the Mercedes thing because he knows I used to own one but the reply seems like such a trite rebuttal.
    The fact is Mercedes-Benz invented a lot of the safety systems we take for granted in cars today like ABS brakes, (ABS) Dynamic stability control (DSC) crumple zones e.t.c e.t.c. but also without wishing to overstate the completely obvious you don't need to buy a Mercedes-Benz to enjoy the peace of mind that these modern safety systems confer.

Apologies for dragging the tread off on a tangent and I will leave it at that other than to note that sadly I see Trade Me no longer seems to feature the ANCAP rating for vehicles in the rating section for each listing but lists the fuel economy rating, apparently this is more important, go figure ? Good to see Turners on their website still features ancap ratings where available for their listings. Good on them for making such valuable information available.

If you would like more information on ANCAP ratings please refer to this link. http://rightcar.govt.nz/
    Useful information about how modern safety systems protect their occupants in the tab here http://rightcar.govt.nz/protection-during-a-crash.html
    Information about how modern safety control assistance systems assist drivers to stay in control and avoid an accident in the first place is in this tab http://rightcar.govt.nz/staying-in-control.html
    My hope is that those investors on here who are in the fortunate position to be able to afford one of the safest cars available would at least read the links in this thread to gain an understanding of how modern safety systems work so that they can make an informed decision next time they replace one of their loved ones vehicles.
    Best wishes for safe motoring this festive season.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

[QUOTE=

Percy brought up te Mercedes thing because he knows I used to own one .

I was actually thinking of a friend of mine,who owns a Jag and his wife owns a very new and expensive Merc.
    She was backing out of their garage and damaged her exterior mirror.My friend asked me how much I thought it would be to repair it.I said $1,300 and he said $1,800.Ended up over $2,000.!
    He said that Merc were dam expensive and the cost of repairs were out of this world,and his Jag was better value..So I took it Mercs were very expensive to buy new,so quoted a Merc.
    I was thinking of him and his wife,not you..

They're expansive to buy and expensive to fix, no question about that but plenty of Japanese manufactures make 5 star safety rated cars, that's my main point and some as cheap as $20 - $25K brand new. Each to their own Percy, I got sick of seeing my kids take risks with their lives and our grandkids lives with 20+ year old unsafe cars so I did something about it a few years ago and got them sorted with much better ones. Cost me $8K for my daughter for a four star rated car and she eventually repaid $6K of it and I wrote the rest off. $13K for my stepdaughter and her and her boyfriend also repaid most of it. Didn't make much of a dent in my portfolio.
    They're the ultimate beneficiaries of all my hard work so I don't see much harm in ensuring they get some small benefit from it now.
    My daughters often go out together and take all three of our grandkids with them. The thought of all five of them being wiped out in an accident in a dodgy old unsafe car was too much for me to bear and forced my hand.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Bigger Cars Are Safer Than Smaller Ones
    New small cars are safer than they've ever been, but new larger, heavier vehicles are still safer than small ones. It's a matter of physics: Bigger and heavier is safer than smaller and lighter. Large vehicles weigh more and have longer hoods and bigger crush zones, which gives them an advantage in frontal crashes.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/a...arge-cars.html

And after all that you popped your wife into a Civic Beagle ? What do we read into that ?

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    New small cars are safer than they've ever been, but new larger, heavier vehicles are still safer than small ones. It's a matter of physics: Bigger and heavier is safer than smaller and lighter. Large vehicles weigh more and have longer hoods and bigger crush zones, which gives them an advantage in frontal crashes.

And after all that you popped your wife into a Civic Beagle ? What do we read into that ?

I would not read into it that much. I guess what he was meaning was the amount of cars out there that were vintage cars, but not actually classed as vintage cars. We all get the idea of safety, but you can do only so much. I have had friends who were caught in an accident without seatbelts and were told by the authorities that had they worn seatbelts they would have died. When it is your time it is your time. Just be cautious and patient and maybe leave early, abide by all the road rules and all the commonsense rules and hope to get to your destination in one piece. Heading off topic here so I apologise. Last post on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post

That the once humble Honda Civic of 1972 has over ten generations morphed into a medium sized car and indeed does have decent front and rear crumple zones, see attached link https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...797f22bce72095 Its the largest medium sized car she feels comfortable driving. I also bought her a fire engine red one for high visibility...why take chances with a black or dark grey one ? Oh look, for those that can't bear to make a dent in their portfolio you can finance one for only 1.7%
    Disc: The hound does not hold Honda shares or have any association with Honda N.Z. lol

Also except from your link you kind provided
    Older 'Tanks' Are Not Safer Than Smaller New Cars
    Some people contend that older cars were built like tanks, making them safer than new cars. It's not true.
    A large 10-year-old vehicle that does not have side airbags or electronic stability control (ESC) would not fare as well in an accident as a small vehicle from today equipped with modern safety equipment and collision avoidance technology, said Becky Mueller, senior research engineer for IIHS. ESC greatly reduces the chance of a vehicle rollover, which is particularly important for top-heavy trucks and SUVs, according to IIHS.
    What is more than a little sad is that according to Turners the average age of the N.Z. vehicle fleet is 14 years and cars that age generally do not have the very helpful new technology of dynamic stability control, often referred to as electronic stability control.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-12-2017 at 06:34 PM.

Advanced Member

Finance not an issue...could sell some Turner’s shares. Like Beagle, no shares in Honda, currently driving 2005 CRV NZ new I was lucky enough to find with 30,000km on the clock, prior to that a couple of Accords. Love em and don’t consider safety at all when buying cars.

Investor

Some decent accumulation going on today, almost 500k volume.

percy

My divie is in my bank a/c already.l

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    My divie is in my bank a/c already.l
    Your just beat me by few secs, was about to post the same. Looking forward for a positive update in the new year.