sharetrader
Page 12 of 840 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112512 ... LastLast

quote:Originally posted by dsurf

also - no cash - no div - yield goes down - sp goes down - very simple formula
    Fair enough but from your quote above you can see how I thought that you considered that cash was a problem for them.From your above comment aren't you saying that the SP will fall as a consequence of "no cash"?

KJ - The "no cash" does not relate to solvency - I am not suggesting that. It means less funds for re-investment, lower EPS, lower div's etc

The herald article today quoting St Lawrence sums it up well below.

'Flight to quality' tipped to hit all but best finance companies
    5:00AM Thursday July 19, 2007
    By Adam Bennett

St Laurence managing director Kevin Podmore.
    Higher interest rates mean the "flight to quality" following the Bridgecorp collapse will hit finance companies harder than the three failures last year, says finance group St Laurence.

[b]Bridgecorp's receivership has sparked fears that other finance companies will suffer a squeeze on funding as investors divert money to safer havens such as top tier finance firms and banks, as was seen following the collapse of Provincial Finance, National Finance 2000 and Western Bay Finance last year.

Now it can be argued that DPC is a top finance company - however the public are not well informed and think wrongly that Rod Petrovich is involved with DPC. It is not all the publics fault - BKBurger did sell 20% to Petrovich in such a badly promoted deal that the media have been all over it. This deal is why DPC SP has halved.

Is DPC entering buying territory - Not yet - too much bad sentiment re: finance companies.

Will VIK step up and bail them out - No too busy bailing out BIO!!!

Guru

The smoke is clearing as to why this stock has had selling pressure recently. It's BK exiting the scene
    So the power base is now down to two, Hugh Green and StLaurence.

This is good news for DPC and I never thought I would be thanking BIO for anything ever again...just goes to show how quickly times can change in the life of an investor.

Quote from NZ herald 3rd Aug:-
    Keen observers of listed finance company Dorchester Pacific have noted cornerstone shareholder Viking Capital has been selling stock on market. Trading at just $1.30 yesterday, Dorchester is well below the levels at which Viking first bought in (above $2). The strategic importance of Viking's 9 per cent stake has diminished since the other big shareholders, Hugh Green and St Laurence Group, bought out Bridgecorp back in April to lock up control. If Viking's Brent King ever had serious designs on recapturing Dorchester (which he originally founded) he must have well and truly given up on them now.

Dorchester is in the middle of a share buyback so most likely everything Viking sells is going back to Dorchester and further strengthening Hugh Green's control.

The selling may have something to do with helping out biotech company ICP BIO, in which Viking also has a 9 per cent stake.

Advanced Member

Update of chart on Page 5 of this thread :-

Share Collector

Phaedrus,

If you don't mind me asking, why do you choose to draw support there? It doesn't seem like a particularly meaningful level, since it is over 4 years ago and only touched once. I can't find any particularly combination of number crunching that suggests this particular level either. What am I missing?

Why not go back to the long period 6-7 years ago where support was around $1?

Advanced Member

I'm trying really hard to offer some vestige of hope to the poor sods that have been holding this stock over the last 3 years as the downtrend has progressed. What with a falling OBV, falling Stochastic and falling QStick oscillators, it's difficult to find any hopeful possibilities at all at this point.
    I would agree with you that the $1 support level is probably more meaningful, but these shareholders have been through a lot. One thing at a time - let's see if this one holds or not before worrying about the next.

Direct broking are reporting a yield of 6.2% for DPC

1$ SP looking very good. I for one would rather earn 8% in the bank at minimal risk.

I feel for all the DPC staff who took up the offer to buy shares when the price was over $2.50

Guru

WOW down to $1.15 what ahuge drop[ from $2.60, wonder what Hewui Greene thinks of this

I wering if their counting unpaid acrrued interest as revenue??