sharetrader
Page 214 of 840 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224264314714 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,140 of 8391
    percy

From Turners newsletter.
    "More than 50 years of providing New Zealanders with great second hand cars."
    Number one for brand awareness.
    Most trusted.
    Last edited by percy; 06-04-2018 at 09:36 AM.

percy

Lovely big fat fully imputated divie in my bank.
    Even better they are paid quarterly.
    Last edited by percy; 20-04-2018 at 03:29 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3t...ature=youtu.be

A very long video that I was initially very reluctant to invest an hour watching but now I have there are some important possible future considerations for the vehicle and energy industries.
    For those that are prepared to invest the time they will gain an interesting insight into how things might develop for these two industries.
    I think the widespread ownership of cars will change only very slowly but I liken this industry to being the opposite of the retirement industry which has long term tailwinds.
    I'd rather invest in an industry with long term tailwinds than long term headwinds.
    Craigs analyst just returned from an overseas visit to the U.S. to look at trends in EV's and its impact on Z, behind the paywall article on NBR had this to say in terms of his expectations for EV uptake in N.Z....(he didn't comment on reducing numbers of EV's due to possible widespread utilization of driverless EV's) but reckons
    By 2025 25% of sales of new cars will be EV's, by 2030 60% will be EV's.
    Long term I think if we get self driving car approval for N.Z. roads by the mid-late 2030's the cost to hire driverless EV's which will be abundantly available as taxi's will mean many people simply won't own a car, they'll hail a driverless taxi because its cheaper than the total cost of ownership.
    Already there are survey's out that show young people are more attached to their mobile phone than their car...
    This is an industry in long term systemic decline in my opinion.
    For those that think electric cars with proper range are some far distant future prospect, perhaps it might be time to think again...
    https://www.hyundai.co.nz/hyundai-kona-electric 450 km's range and here in July 2018.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-04-2018 at 12:22 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I went shopping for a car in the weekend. Overall was very disappointed with Turners. The cars were all quite old and over priced and I was in their Penrose store for almost an hour and not one representative said hi to me, which is surprising given how many staff were working. Ended up buying a second hand car directly from Honda which was in very good condition and a better price. The service was also excellent and I felt very important even though I wasn't buying new.

Bit of a different experience at Honda Newmarket isn't it ! They even have a concierge at the front desk so as to direct you to the appropriate department / person upon arrival. I bought a demonstrator Honda for Mrs Beagle last year from the Newmarket branch. Enjoyed a very good haggle over the price even though they say you can't haggle on a new one I took a dogged approach on one of their demo's. First class service once the haggling was over.
    Was back there in February getting the first service done and the Managing Director of Honda N.Z. introduced himself to me as I was waiting in the customer lounge. Really good bloke, we had a good chat about changes in the motoring industry. Upmarket shopping experience at a very fair price would be my summation of Honda Newmarket. I'd even go so far as to say that Honda's sales / service experience goes close to rivalling the service across the road at Auckland Mercedes-Benz branch except they charge you an arm and a leg for their cars and their after sales service over there
    To be honest I wouldn't even consider going to Turners Penrose. I know its a bit of a dowdy place and they don't sell the sort of cars that I'm in the market for from time to time.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-04-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Bunnings stores have a conceirge of sorts at the entrance as well

Just thought you would be interested
    Last edited by winner69; 23-04-2018 at 03:57 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Hahahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

Just thught you would be interested
    LOL and I've found them quite good at directing you to the correct aisle...saves a LOT of time in their gargantuan sized stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3t...ature=youtu.be

A very long video that I was initially very reluctant to invest an hour watching but now I have there are some important possible future considerations for the vehicle and energy industries.
    For those that are prepared to invest the time they will gain an interesting insight into how things might develop for these two industries.
    I think the widespread ownership of cars will change only very slowly but I liken this industry to being the opposite of the retirement industry which has long term tailwinds.
    I'd rather invest in an industry with long term tailwinds than long term headwinds.
    Craigs analyst just returned from an overseas visit to the U.S. to look at trends in EV's and its impact on Z, behind the paywall article on NBR had this to say in terms of his expectations for EV uptake in N.Z....(he didn't comment on reducing numbers of EV's due to possible widespread utilization of driverless EV's) but reckons
    By 2025 25% of sales of new cars will be EV's, by 2030 60% will be EV's.
    Long term I think if we get self driving car approval for N.Z. roads by the mid-late 2030's the cost to hire driverless EV's which will be abundantly available as taxi's will mean many people simply won't own a car, they'll hail a driverless taxi because its cheaper than the total cost of ownership.
    Already there are survey's out that show young people are more attached to their mobile phone than their car...
    This is an industry in long term systemic decline in my opinion.
    For those that think electric cars with proper range are some far distant future prospect, perhaps it might be time to think again...
    https://www.hyundai.co.nz/hyundai-kona-electric 450 km's range and here in July 2018.
    Outstanding presentation, very worthwhile to watch. Cheers for posting.

Not sure though, this is only relevant for TRA shareholders. What Tony Seba describes is a major disruption for the car industry (production, sales, maintenance - i.e. highly relevant for anybody who have an interest in any of them), for the energy industry (gentailers, but as well for oil exploration and distribution - ZEL). Sounds like he solved as well (not just the) Auckland traffic gridlock as well as the housing crisis in NZ. Unlimited space to build new houses into all these parking lots. Just turn them into social housing.

Food for thought - and yes, this might not be the time to buy a new car given that he predicts the change over for 2021 (give or take a couple of years), with everything being over for the ICE by 2030 - Jeez, this is only 12 years from now.

Obviously - if your old car gives up before the self driving revolution reaches your home town, better buy a good second hand car from TRA

I seriously think he has a point - and no point arguing over a year or two. Short term however I think this might even boost their (TRA & Co) business (last man standing strategy), but yes - long term they better think about adapting their business model - as should anybody else connected to or living off the car industry, infrastructure or power industry.

What Tony didn't mention though is - what are we going to do with the avalanche of unemployed professional drivers, mechanics and last not least car salesmen moving within the next 5 years or so onto the dole?

Interesting times, indeed ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 23-04-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Just want to credit Forest for sending me that link.
    As you say there are implications for other listed companies.
    Not sure I agree with his timing on ICE extinction for N.Z., he is talking U.S. prices and out national fleet is 14 years old on average.
    Craigs analyst just got back from a U.S. trip and he's predicting 60% new EV sales by 2030, I think he is a bit low on that and the real number is somewhere between 60% and 100%.
    The other thing is he's talking lithium ion batteries and their cost curve downwards. New technology batteries such as solid state batteries with 3 times the energy density could be here by the mid 2020's and be a game changer in terms of range, cost and performance so maybe new sales of ICE vehicles will be all done and dusted by 2030 ?
    No question we are on the cusp of a MAJOR change in the vehicle industry.