sharetrader
Page 263 of 840 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263264265266267273313363763 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,630 of 8391
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Yep, that’s them.

TRA still better than TDs I said

Bit worried about the police challenging the club’s liquor license.
    Surprised any of them have any money left to invest.!
    Police are most probably doing it for "health and safety" reasons,at all times having the club members' best interests at heart...….lol.

Don't they have an ex police commissioner as club captain?.

One thing that hasn't really been discussed much on here and something I discussed with management after the road show presentation is the seasonality of sales. A huge amount of business is done in spring and winter is the low period. Its always been this way and wondering why I asked management for an explanation.
    People feel more confident in spring and are more comfortable shopping for vehicles as the weather warms up.
    Might explain the present weakness in SP, just the winter doldrums, (he says hopefully, clutching at straws for possible explanations)

Anyway on a brief read of the annual report yesterday I reminded myself that organic growth is a gradual thing and Rome wasn't built in a day. Essential ingredients with all investing is the requirement for perseverance and persistent patience. I call this the rule of the 3 P's.

Its a little similar to the old army saying of the rule of 7 P's which is also a good one for business. Prior proper planning prevents p### poor performance.
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-08-2018 at 08:39 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    [FONT="] yep politicised misinformation, but thats typical of the national party ,a great example being judith collins fake news snippet ,with a new low ,adding the prime ministers name to the fakery, anything goes with them ala trump, sad hole they are in and its getting deeper.

"Elsewhere in the world, firms would kill for the favourable conditions that business enjoys in this country. New Zealand is running a surplus, has remarkably low levels of government debt, enjoys historically low interest rates, has excellent terms of trade, has a currency rate increasingly favourable for exporters…. This country also has a government willing to pick up an unequal share of the tab – by OECD standards – of the private sector’s own research and development costs ; it operates a benign tax regime on capital gains, has relatively low labour costs subsidized by welfare payments by the state, has help available from the state for the cyber security risks facing business, has low unemployment, low inflation and a coalition government that’s committed to fostering global trade… Add it all up, and the positive factors for business could hardly be rosier. [/FONT]

On top of all that, the coalition’s Families Package and Winter Energy payments are about to inject hundreds of millions of dollars into the retail sector of the economy. What more help can those in business possibly want, or need? Why don’t these bold buccaneers of commerce show a bit of the pluck and self-reliance that they expect of everyone else? In effect, most of them are behaving like a five year old at a birthday party that isn’t getting everything its own way."
    Good post and you make a convincing case.
    Here however is a very good counter argument https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12104190
    How does one plan in business with so much policy about to be made up at some unknown stage in the future by the 100+ working groups ?
    The issue I believe is that Labour are creating so much uncertainty around future policy they are casting a shadow of doubt over the entire economy and decision makers looking at decisions around expansion or capex are basically throwing up their hands in the air and saying with so much doubt perhaps its best we are prudent and do nothing.

Of course little of this is of any relevance to "Johnny" flush with funds from the new families package and getting another $200 per week subsidy for his family from others who will be down at Turners getting a better car.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    I think the lack of business confidence is unconscious biases coming into play e.g. National = good, Labour = bad, men competent and women incompetent.
    Labour sending us into a recession? National sent a lot of people into recession, especially people who don’t own their own home. People being homeless, living in cars is something you associate with recessions and depressions not a healthy economy. And those who are renting are struggling to pay soaring rents. So officially the stats may say it is not a recession but many are really struggling financially.
    Off topic but I agree National should have done more to spread the benefits of the growth in the economy. Perhaps immigration could have been curtailed more so that house prices and rent are more realistic but this is a problem in many expensive cities in the world. Try renting a good house in Zurich, New York or London for example. I think if I was a young person facing Auckland's systemic rental cost and transport issues I would throw my hands up and say its too hard and shift elsewhere. Napier or Nelson spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    One thing that hasn't really been discussed much on here and something I discussed with management after the road show presentation is the seasonality of sales. A huge amount of business is done in spring and winter is the low period. Its always been this way and wondering why I asked management for an explanation.
    People feel more confident in spring and are more comfortable shopping for vehicles as the weather warms up.
    Might explain the present weakness in SP, just the winter doldrums, (he says hopefully, clutching at straws for possible explanations)

Anyway on a brief read of the annual report yesterday I reminded myself that organic growth is a gradual thing and Rome wasn't built in a day. Essential ingredients with all investing is the requirement for perseverance and persistent patience. I call this the rule of the 3 P's.

Its a little similar to the old army saying of the rule of 7 P's which is also a good one for business. Prior proper planning prevents p### poor performance.
    Good point Beagle.

I went shopping with my daughter last year for a car (currently in her third year at University). We were looking at cars in January for several reasons:

- Daughter was able to spend the time looking at cars and making a decision before returning to Uni and her job
    - I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but in Auckland there are pockets of car-yards in certain areas (Wairau Park, Otahuhu, Manukau) and walking from one car-yard to the next in the cold rain of winter is unpleasant
    - And of course you're spending a lot of time looking at cars outside. Who wants to do that in miserable weather?

Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear

Might be Craigs clients jumping ship due to perceived pricing power weakness
    Last edited by RupertBear; 10-08-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Might be Craigs clients jumping ship due to perceived pricing power weakness
    You can't explain the irrational, just accept it as a market fact and relax.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL180...confidence.htm
    Some people reckon this business confidence thing is male white businessmen who voted National behaving like 5 year olds and having a tantrum....or could they be right and Labour are sending us down a rabbit hole into a recession ?
    The traffic when travelling from central Auckland to the airport for a 5pm/ 6pm flight is much quieter than it used to be. I remarked on this to the taxi driver yesterday evening whom said there was much less business to the airport these days. I interpreted this as fewer businessmen in their Corporate Cabs rushing to meet business flights - I see this as supporting a slow down of NZ business whatever one's political persuasions (i.e. even if you voted for the CoL).

percy

Business confidence down.
    The workers confidence up.
    Ask yourself who buys cars under $15,000.
    Then work out who sells cars under $15,000.
    Last edited by percy; 10-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtech View Post
    Good point Beagle.

I went shopping with my daughter last year for a car (currently in her third year at University). We were looking at cars in January for several reasons:

- Daughter was able to spend the time looking at cars and making a decision before returning to Uni and her job
    - I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but in Auckland there are pockets of car-yards in certain areas (Wairau Park, Otahuhu, Manukau) and walking from one car-yard to the next in the cold rain of winter is unpleasant
    - And of course you're spending a lot of time looking at cars outside. Who wants to do that in miserable weather?
    Nobody unless they have too. I think the other thing is that when test driving cars one doesn't really want to be driving in filthy weather conditions. You really want nice dry roads so you can evaluate a vehicle 's handling properly by pushing it a bit and wet greasy roads in winter don't really fit with that agenda either.

Just thinking out loud. Lower currency and spring just around the corner. Could it be that we're looking at price rises ahead for used cars as we head into the peak spring selling period ? Noticed an article on CNBC this morning about how firm used car prices are in America. Good for the value of Turners existing stock ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-08-2018 at 02:50 PM.