sharetrader
Page 317 of 840 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321327367417817 ... LastLast
Results 3,161 to 3,170 of 8391
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Having two directors based in Singapore seems a bit silly to me. Aside from the travelling and communication issues, this is a country where most people don't own a car and where there is almost no second hand car market.

Maybe they will have some insights into the Australian expansion and the insurance business but is this enough? What do they know about the credit risk of Turners working class customers in Wellington, Hawkes Bay or Auckland?

Good question for the next AGM, someone ask a director when the last time they bought a second hand car was (either for themselves or someone else).

Maybe Winner is right and the focus will be on taking the company private or selling it?
    The current share price leaves the company ripe to be taken over.in my opinion..
    Last edited by percy; 01-10-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Do you have any research / information on gender as it relates to thinking competence? Perhaps you would like to see ATM's CEO on the Board.
    Gender diversity is an antidote to group think. Devil’s Advocate – that won’t work! or Angel’s Advocate – what could make it work?

http://www.fireitupwithcj.com/core-c...ncies-of-women
    "Many women see the world through a Relational lens of relationship and demonstrate competencies of “connecting the dots” systems thinking, multi-tasking, and sharing information to create new information.

Many men see the world through an Individualistic lens of status and independence, that give us traditional competencies of prioritized, linear thinking, focus on one thing at a time, and sharing information only as needed.

The everyday practice of playing Devil’s Advocate is the ability to poke holes and find faults using deductive reasoning to bullet proof an idea. As one Individualistic Executive of a local space agency said to me, “We do science here, Devil’s Advocate is science.”

Point out that you bring another competency, Collaboration or Angel’s Advocate, to build on an idea with “what could make it work” and “what else is possible with the idea,” using inductive reasoning. You frame a competency that is otherwise invisible, unarticulated and unrewarded.

The first time I did an exercise to practice both Devil’s Advocate and Angel’s Advocate, two men who had been working on an environmental engineering problem together, came up with a solution they had not thought of before. This drove home, to me, just how foreign Angel’s Advocate collaboration can be."

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Gender diversity is an antidote to group think. Devil’s Advocate – that won’t work! or Angel’s Advocate – what could make it work?

http://www.fireitupwithcj.com/core-c...ncies-of-women
    "Many women see the world through a Relational lens of relationship and demonstrate competencies of “connecting the dots” systems thinking, multi-tasking, and sharing information to create new information.
    Depends on your lens

If you use the Ravens Progressive Matrices (which looks at abstract logical reasoning using a non-verbal test) you now get men and women scoring essentially the same. With some difference coming from nationality.

The Board is correct in looking for "thinkers".

If you go down the Male / female route your risk (without assessment) picking up a low scoring female and a high scoring male. Or vice versa.

The trouble of course with Ravens (and this is where I may get into trouble) is research suggests there is differences between ethnicities / races. For example a study using British with a mean score of 100, white americans scores 98, Mestizoe scored 98.3 and native Mexicans scored 83.3. So, arguably you dont want diversity based on race / nationality.

So what does this mean locally. One piece of local research shows Maori score lower (0.55 standard deviation) than European on verbal reasoning and 1.79 standard deviations on numerical business analysis*See "Ethnic group differences in cognitive ability test scores within a New Zealand applicant sample")

When you start sticking labels on things this "diversity" thing turns into quite the rabbit hole.

Good sign for you Turner ‘investors’ — my neighbour (and probably his bowling mates) have sold the rest of their Turners shares (at a loss)

They’ve topped up on OCA. Some of them had a look around Village in the Park and were impressed so think Oceania is the bee’s knees of retirement villages. I told him it was actually an Arvida village ....bugger
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Good sign for you Turner ‘investors’ — my neighbour (and probably his bowling mates) have sold the rest of their Turners shares (at a loss)

They’ve topped up on OCA. Some of them had a look around Village in the Park and were impressed so think Oceania is the bee’s knees of retirement villages. I told him it was actually an Arvida village ....bugger
    Thanks W69.
    Fantastic news.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    The current share price leaves the company ripe to be taken over.in my opinion..
    They say it’s undervalued by the market. If they are a retail

One comment Byrnes made the other day was that those shareholders who have held for some years have done really well. Think he mentioned the word rich as well.

Another reason to think that maybe some exit plans being worked on by some big shareholders

Could be the next Get out of Jail Free card on the NZX

They say it’s undervalued by the market. If they are a retail

One comment Byrnes made the other day was that those shareholders who have held for some years have done really well. Think he mentioned the word rich as well.

Another reason to think that maybe some exit plans being worked on by some big shareholders

Could be the next Get out of Jail Free card on the NZX
    I think that was a very poorly considered remark as the shares have woefully underperformed the NZX50 for many, many years. In fact one needs to consider that as far back as 6 years ago in Nov 2012 on an adjusted basis for the subsequent 10:1 share consolidation the shares were trading at $2.70. How any director could be proud of the SP performance is beyond my comprehension. Sure some may have done okay if they bought in post GFC days nearly a decade ago but that's ancient history and deserves to stay in the past not something directors have any right to crow about now in my opinion.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Maybe he could reflect on how well the share price has done since listing on the Big ASX market.

I didn’t finish the sentence ...distracted

They say one reason for being undervalued is that TRA is seen as retail

If seen as retail currently fair value

If seen as an integrated automotive financial services group probably fair value as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think that was a very poorly considered remark as the shares have woefully underperformed the NZX50 for many, many years. In fact one needs to consider that as far back as 6 years ago in Nov 2012 on an adjusted basis for the subsequent 10:1 share consolidation the shares were trading at $2.70. How any director could be proud of the SP performance is beyond my comprehension. Sure some may have done okay if they bought in post GFC days nearly a decade ago but that's ancient history and deserves to stay in the past not something directors have any right to crow about now in my opinion.
    That’s the Dorchester view .....maybe some (insiders) still see it as Dorchester with a car yard attached

Maybe that’s why the market ‘undervalues’ them