sharetrader
Page 327 of 840 FirstFirst ... 227277317323324325326327328329330331337377427827 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,270 of 8398
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Trading my fuel guzzler V8 today for something that's still very nice and grunty but ~ 40% more efficient. Would have gone electric but Jaguar are determined to severely price gouge early adopters of the I Pace. I suspect there's hordes of people out there with the warmer weather and record fuel prices out and about doing a similar thing to what I'm doing. Funnily enough Mrs Beagle wants a double cab ute...I'm doing my best to try and dissuade her.
    No intention of selling my resonably fuel efficient big block which does between 4.5-5k per liter of 98, besides I only do around 2000k a year in it tops so doing the planet a big favour, dang that's only 38k/week on average.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    "Utes are categorised as a commercial vehicle exempt from FBT, unlike a passenger car.
    And if you buy the ute as a business, even if you don’t need to cart around tools or livestock, you can also reclaim the GST."
    "In that same year (2017)we bought nearly 37,000 double cab utes almost all of which were diesel-burning gas-guzzlers."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    [FONT="]"Utes are categorised as a commercial vehicle exempt from FBT, unlike a passenger car.[/FONT]
    And if you buy the ute as a business, even if you don’t need to cart around tools or livestock, you can also reclaim the GST."
    "In that same year (2017)we bought nearly 37,000 double cab utes almost all of which were diesel-burning gas-guzzlers."
    Yeah I just bought a Ute recently. A 2.5L gas guzzling Nissan Xtrail. But I need something that can tow the caravan. It is also 4 wheel drive so that works nicely out on the farm and when doing wheelies on the river bed (sometimes need the 4wd if you get stuck) and out in the boggy paddock. Great fun.

IMO

Really interesting and pertinent.You could set up your own personal Bog Blogg

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Why does she want a ute - is due to it being the "in" vehicle to have or so she can put the grandkids in the ute part and won't be able hear them moan about not being there yet :-)
    LOL something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    No intention of selling my resonably fuel efficient big block which does between 4.5-5k per liter of 98, besides I only do around 2000k a year in it tops so doing the planet a big favour, dang that's only 38k/week on average.
    But I am sure you would agree with that sort of fuel consumption they don't make a good everyday car, especially in Auckland traffic
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    "Comprehensive motor insurance' has traditionally meant 'fire, theft and accident' cover, both for your vehicle and whatever vehicle(s) you might contact in a collision. However, given the breadth of motor vehicle insurance available today, there are plenty of things that 'comprehensive insurance' does not cover. An extended warranty/repair contract when buying a second hand vehicle is perhaps the most significant. It is into this policy gap that 'Autosure' was launched. The genesis was the Japanese car import business that started in the early 1980s without manufacturer blessing!

There was some discussion at the presentation about the cost of vehicle repairs. Since acquiring 'Autosure', Turners has found that the 'mechanical breakdown' policies on Japanese sourced vehicles were subsidizing the 'mechanical breakdown' policies on European sourced vehicles. Upon realizing this, Turners has directed Autosure to raise the premiums on European vehicles and reduce those on Japanese vehicles to better reflect the risk. A particular example given was of a Mercedes Benz wing mirror. One audience member guessed what he thought a fair price would be and doubled that figure for his 'price guess'. The true answer was three times his price guess IIRC! Anyway, it came out that Turners fully underwrites the Autosure costs themselves,
    Turners 'Autosure' is given a bollocking in the Oct/Nov 2018 Consumer magazine. Some quotes from the article 'Taken for a ride'..

"Mechanical Breakdown Insurance is heavily promoted."

<snip>

"While the insurance holds little value for consumers, it is likely to be a tidy earner for car dealers and insurers. Policy exclusions and claim caps mean the situations in which insurers have to pay out and the amount they pay are heavily ring fenced."

The exclusions mentioned apparently include 'design faults' and anything considered the result of faulty repairs. The cap on each repair can be as low as $2,000 and policy holders must still pay an excess for any claim. Not covered area vehicles battery, shock absorbers , exhaust system, catalytic convertor and brake pads. That sounds fair enough as these are 'wear and tear' parts. But also not covered are airbags, drive belts, seat belts, as well as audio systems and keys. Manual clutches are not covered, but it seems automatic transmissions are (? ).

Oh yes and if your servicing is done at a garage not recommended by Autosure, then your warranty is void as well. And it doesn't cover pre-existing faults either. Lots of ways here for Autosure to slip out of the payment on policy net.

"Autosure is provided by DPL insurance (Turners Automotive Group owned) , with DPL being behind three if the six policies we reviewed including Turners own brand cover and Marac Insurances offering" (that is Heartland retailed I think).

We shareholders look to have the best end of any 'Autosure' deal?

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 07-11-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

percy

We shareholders look to have the best end of any 'Autosure' deal?

SNOOPY
    Agreed.
    The same sort of issues could be said for medical insurance,travel insurance, and as most ChCh residents will tell you, home insurance.
    When taking out any insurance policy you need to understand what the policy covers.
    Buy a new vehicle and the warranty is usually only valid if maintance/service has been done by an approved dealer's service deptarment.
    A good number of vehicle buyers will find "Autosure" a peace of mind insurance.

ps.I was really peeved off I did not take the extended waranty the shop salesman tried to talk me into when I brought a new computer a few years ago.Offcourse the computer gave up the ghost two months after the manufacturer,s waranty expired.Cosumer do not like extended warantys either.
    Last edited by percy; 07-11-2018 at 01:27 PM.

But also not covered are airbags, drive belts, seat belts, as well as audio systems and keys. Manual clutches are not covered, but it seems automatic transmissions are (? ).

Oh yes and if your servicing is done at a garage not recommended by Autosure, then your warranty is void as well. And it doesn't cover pre-existing faults either. Lots of ways here for Autosure to slip out of the payment on policy net.
    Nothing in the least bit unreasonable in there - especially as they are likely to be covered by the CGA anyway

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Nothing in the least bit unreasonable in there - especially as they are likely to be covered by the CGA anyway
    Its not so much whether the policies are unreasonable or not. We could argue their value either way. Its whether they are seen to be reasonable or not, and I think these situations not only draw customer pushback and destroy brand reputation but also attract regulation - all of which means they are unlikely to remain as profitable as they were.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Its not so much whether the policies are unreasonable or not. We could argue their value either way. Its whether they are seen to be reasonable or not, and I think these situations not only draw customer pushback and destroy brand reputation but also attract regulation - all of which means they are unlikely to remain as profitable as they were.
    Only amongst those who read Consumer Magazine - who I only rate a bit more highly than those who watch Fair Go.