sharetrader
Page 584 of 840 FirstFirst ... 84484534574580581582583584585586587588594634684 ... LastLast
Results 5,831 to 5,840 of 8398

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Add to that the performance of its "parent" company. I guess the one good thing one can claim about Dorchester Pacific is that it survived at all, but it destroyed on the way probably 90% of its shareholder values.

Clearly not a good track record, but for sure this time it will be different.
    Of course it will ...time for a Tui lol
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Fair observation for the time period mentioned. Have any massively underperformed the NZX50 for a 7 year period ?
    TRA was (adjusted for the share consolidation some years back) $3.30 on 31/12/2012
    I think 7 years is a pretty long period to use as a measurement yardstick and objectively this stock has been an extremely poor performer over a very long period of time.
    I think its clear this company has nothing in common with the pedigree stocks you mentioned above, all of which really have been great performers over the long run.
    All are best of breed in their sector.
    Turners are the best used vehicle dealers in NZ.[best of breed]
    New and relocated sites are trading at "gangbuster" levels.
    Further sites will continue their growth.

Banned

Add to that the performance of its "parent" company. I guess the one good thing one can claim about Dorchester Pacific is that it survived at all, but it destroyed on the way probably 90% of its shareholder values.

Actually Dorchester was the only finance company where I got back most of my money(About 90% from memory) all the rest I got toasted.

percy

Hugh Greene appointed Paul Byrne to Dorchester, as it had been run into the ground by Brent King..His hard work together with Baker's involvement meant Dorchester survived.Paul Byrne's work with Dorchester Properties 3rd rate properties was incredible.All unit holders were repaid.
    This is the second or third time [and the last] I have pointed this out to you.
    If you want another round with Brent King you can,by buying GEN shares.[You deserve each other]..lol.
    Last edited by percy; 03-10-2019 at 04:07 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Actually Dorchester was the only finance company where I got back most of my money(About 90% from memory) all the rest I got toasted.
    Thank Baker and Byrne.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Thank Baker and Byrne.
    Had nothing to do with Baker but I cant speak highly enough of my dealings with Paul Byrne.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Had nothing to do with Baker but I cant speak highly enough of my dealings with Paul Byrne.
    Yet so many posters ,who have had no dealings with Paul Byrne ,have posted negative comments on this thread about him.

IMO

Yep ,and as for the 7 year itch comparison , backwards looking does not a good investor make. Anyone been holding that long, fair enough, certainly not me. TRA one of the few stocks to go up today for me.Great chart. Yield hunters?

Best use of long term price comparisons in my opinion is within the same sector group. This gives a good handle of the merits of one business model compared to another within the same industry.

Eg Compare RYM $4.55 on 31/12/2012 to MET $3.10 on the same day to see which model works the best over time and the answer is crystal clear.

On that subject its probably worth noting that Colonial Motors was $3.80 on 31 December 2012 and closed at $8.91 today.
    Compares to TRA's "growth" from $3.30 approx. 7 years ago to $2.64 today. I think that speaks for itself but of course TRA Directors will tell you they are refining and changing their business model...but they've been doing that for a while now and the results speak for themselves. We know they like to pay themselves very handsome directors fees so the extraordinary bad share price performance begs the question of what other corporate excess is buried deep in their accounts ?

CMO's performance no doubt helped by very reasonable directors fees which probably sets the tone for considerable other reasonableness within the company.

Crystal clear over a decent period of time with both examples above, which business model's work best.
    But I'm just a silly bean counter that actually likes to quantify and measure things over time and the resident experts foretelling of stupendous growth ahead will no doubt choose to believe that going forward the results will be different. Of course they will...what could possibly go wrong ...or could it be that the used vehicle market in N.Z. is notoriously difficult and just an extremely tough industry with razor thin margins and no barriers to entry...
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-10-2019 at 07:48 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

IMO

Its totally irrelevant to my time frame . Im happy with my investment and income ATPIT. Im not reccoing it , pumping it or continually dumping or down ramping it. People who do that raise questions, whats their agenda here.One thing i know for sure its not philanthropy ;so what is it?