sharetrader
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: DGL

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    one would expect our new minister of foreign affairs to display the appropriate levels of diplomacy to calm the waters...........??? or would one......

Aye .. but wasn't the last bullfrog on the lillypad mostly asleep in residence ?

Trading a bit lower lately. See the MD has resigned, which is a bugger. Jim sure does go through them.... results are out 24/2, say it will be another cracker. Sauv is humming at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-bobby View Post
    Trading a bit lower lately. See the MD has resigned, which is a bugger. Jim sure does go through them.... results are out 24/2, say it will be another cracker. Sauv is humming at the moment.
    MD had been there quite a while I think. I did quite well on these selling this time last year and buying back a couple of months later! They are a good company IMHO, steady growth. Look forward to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    MD had been there quite a while I think. I did quite well on these selling this time last year and buying back a couple of months later! They are a good company IMHO, steady growth. Look forward to see the results.
    And the results look good to me. Onwards and upwards, steady growth as always.

And the results look good to me. Onwards and upwards, steady growth as always.
    Main effect of Covid seems to have been to reduce all the entertainment and travel related expenses! Maybe there is a lesson here for management - not one they would be keen to hear though.

DGL not much regarded on this forum. Interesting to compare the performance of DGL with one of the ST hotshots, say HLG. I first bought into both about eleven years ago (2010).

Bought DGL for around $1.60 and HLG for around $3.40. The dividend yield (according to direct brokers) is currently 5.3% for HLG and 1.1% for DGL. That gives me a current yield on my original investment of about 12% for HLG and 10% for DGL. So, roughly comparable there but of course I would have picked up a lot more income from HLG than DGL over the eleven years. On the other hand my capital invested in DGL has increased by about 10x whereas my capital in HLG has gone up by a bit over 2x.

As a long term investment there doesn't seem to be much doubt which is the better company?

DGL not much regarded on this forum. Interesting to compare the performance of DGL with one of the ST hotshots, say HLG. I first bought into both about eleven years ago (2010).

Bought DGL for around $1.60 and HLG for around $3.40. The dividend yield (according to direct brokers) is currently 5.3% for HLG and 1.1% for DGL. That gives me a current yield on my original investment of about 12% for HLG and 10% for DGL. So, roughly comparable there but of course I would have picked up a lot more income from HLG than DGL over the eleven years. On the other hand my capital invested in DGL has increased by about 10x whereas my capital in HLG has gone up by a bit over 2x.

As a long term investment there doesn't seem to be much doubt which is the better company?
    Of course that is just the time period I've been invested, other periods might tell a different story? Looking at the companies in another way, fairly clear which company has the better moat. Anyone can sell clothes (have done it myself actually many years ago). Wine is a different kettle of grapes. Takes time and money to establish wineries in the right area. Takes years of promotion to develop a premium brand. I would say the moat around DGL is a mile wider and a mile deeper than the ditch around HLG.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Interesting, and well done Biscuit.

My [dividend reinvested] calculations say that DGL has provided a compound 24.5% pa return whereas HLG whilst has achieved a mere 16.6% over 10 years.

Pity I never invested. It is ironic that I have always regarded this wine maker as an illiquid stock .
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    ...Pity I never invested. It is ironic that I have always regarded this wine maker as an illiquid stock .

LOL, yes and the wine is a little-over rated too IMO.

Of course that is just the time period I've been invested, other periods might tell a different story? Looking at the companies in another way, fairly clear which company has the better moat. Anyone can sell clothes (have done it myself actually many years ago). Wine is a different kettle of grapes. Takes time and money to establish wineries in the right area. Takes years of promotion to develop a premium brand. I would say the moat around DGL is a mile wider and a mile deeper than the ditch around HLG.
    A very different story. Last 5 years HLG v DGL shows HLG has outperformed and the chart attached excludes dividends and we know HLG have consistently paid twice annual massive fully imputed dividends so overall inclusive of dividends HLG has absolutly thrashed DGL. HLGVDelegates.jpg
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-02-2021 at 04:04 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine