Quote Originally Posted by NeverQuestion View Post
When housing is the main investment in this country it is not hard to see why... Given the massive returns in the last few years you would be hard pressed to find a better investment.

The problem is that you now have a generation forced to borrow for higher education and facing the fallout of the GFC which has meant that high paying jobs and wage increases each year are no longer a thing.

I'm 29 and have seen only 3 wage increases in the last 7 years.. I work long hours and have clocked over 40 hours overtime this month alone!

But because of my Student loan the government takes a considerable percentage of my overtime and regular pay that never arrives in my bank account...

On top of that If I try to take a weeks pay in the hand then again a considerable percentage of that is immediately taken for my Student loan.

Easy to dismiss this with the "I remember the mortgage on my first house ..." .. How about start with 40K in debt and a housing market that forces you to pay $550,000 for your first house

Now start on 40K a year and have no support from your parents who also rent and struggling to make ends meet..

On top of that now throw in the huge threat of Interest rate hikes on a $550,000 mortgage you paid for a house falling apart.

This is what screwed means for the current generation (I'm not asking for a handout just a chance in my own country to own a home) .

"Oh but it has always been hard" whatever, go back 4 years and your see places in Auckland for 350 K.

No one cares about our generation and it will come back to bite them when we find our voice....
I Agree ...at 38 I've been lucky enough to have been able to buy property much cheaper when I was in my early 20's as I never got a Uni loan as I left school at 17 and started full time employment ....IMHO gave me a great headstart on mates that spent many years at Uni to come away with huge debts (my wife still has a small amount to go).... still I don't have the Qualifications so moving away from my hard labour job as I get older isn't going be as easy to get a good paying white collar job >>>

You can really see the divide going to spread from the richer families to the average-lower incomes struggling ...as large inheritances pass downwards to smaller families(than the past) .... I know of many very wealthy families with just one kid ....!!!