sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Commercial property syndicates

Anyone invested past or present in property syndicates?

Invested solely in growth index funds currently but want to invest in something I can take a little more interest in.

Seems like everyone has a horror story in the media or my aunties and uncles that’s bought in them in yesteryear but not sure if this relates to the current state of things.

Also considering syndicates in farms or orchards as that’s my career background.

Note I’m not wholesale investor status.

The experts tend to suggest you are better of just buying shares in Listed property companies as you get more diversification (ie they own a number of properties whereas property syndicates tend to own just the one property) and they are far easier to exit from if you need to. Of course those with long memories will remember Robt Jones Holding's and Ollie Newland's Landmark which burnt a lot of investors.

Quote Originally Posted by epower View Post

Invested solely in growth index funds currently but want to invest in something I can take a little more interest in.

Seems like everyone has a horror story in the media or my aunties and uncles that’s bought in them in yesteryear but not sure if this relates to the current state of things.

Also considering syndicates in farms or orchards as that’s my career background.

Personally, I'd be avoiding any of these types of investments till a later date.. interest rates likely to head even higher .. recession could lead into depression ..
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by epower View Post

Generally they are promoted as having "Forecast returns of. . . ". I don't know how well they go at reaching those forecast returns.

I guess you could have a look around Syndex at what's on offer on the second-hand market, and at what premium/discount to issue price.

Personally I'm not interested due to lack of diversification and lack of liquidity.

epower ……this could interest you

https://www.chrislee.co.nz/taking-stock
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

PFI ...going back a bit I recall Gareth Morgan amongest others was a director.
    I believe for over 20 years PFI had a return for shareholders...averaging about 10 percent compounding.The top performer.
    Major shareholders I believe have remained loyal.
    And I believe PFI is the only listed property entity that hasnt changed its name since inception.

Quote Originally Posted by troyvdh View Post
    PFI ...going back a bit I recall Gareth Morgan amongest others was a director.
    I believe for over 20 years PFI had a return for shareholders...averaging about 10 percent compounding.The top performer.
    Major shareholders I believe have remained loyal.
    And I believe PFI is the only listed property entity that hasnt changed its name since inception.
    To be honest most of the property companies returns over the last decade have been solid rather than spectactular. Argosy and Precinct share prices are pretty much where they were a decade ago while Kiwi is down a bit - so the return has essentially been the dividends. Goodman share price has doubled in that period but their dividend is pretty low. Looking back over 10 years I am guessing PFI has been the pick of the bunch.

Anyone got an idea where average commercial yields are at?
    I know there are a lot of variables, location, term, tenant etc. But just a ballpark.
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Daytr View Post
    Anyone got an idea where average commercial yields are at?
    I know there are a lot of variables, location, term, tenant etc. But just a ballpark.
    TIA
    Listed companies seem to be getting yields on around 6% on quality properties. Yields are higher for the lower quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Listed companies seem to be getting yields on around 6% on quality properties. Yields are higher for the lower quality stuff.
    Thanks. Pretty much where I thought it would be. Could be a good time to start looking at commercial property ahead of rate cuts.