sharetrader
Page 282 of 282 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282
Results 2,811 to 2,815 of 2815
    Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    Remember how many years landlords could have interest deductibility. Labour was the one who introduced the legislation to stop deductability and used that money to spend elsewhere. Just a different way to look at it. Otherwise I am for deductibility for landlords, you just punish tenants by giving landlords more costs. We need landlords
    Interest had always been deductible but instead of addressing inflation targeting and monetary policy and 30 years of lower and lower rates and central banks constantly stepping in to save the over indebted speculators, Labour stopped interest deductibility. What I did like was that interest remained deductible if you were actually building new supply as I agree with you we need houses although I am not sure if I agree we need landlords instead of homeowners though.

You could argue that tenants are not likely to benefit from the interest deductibility being reintroduced. So you punish tenants by giving landlords more costs but benefit landlords by reducing them. Heads you lose tails I win.

A strong argument for encouraging home ownership in my opinion and working toward a more equal society instead of a feudal one.

There's not much use in deductibility for new builds because there's no profit, I pitched to Chris Bishop that they could incentivise new builds by removing ring fencing for a short period like 5 years but they can't afford it.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatestben View Post
    There's not much use in deductibility for new builds because there's no profit, I pitched to Chris Bishop that they could incentivise new builds by removing ring fencing for a short period like 5 years but they can't afford it.
    So what is the problem? Are rents too low or house prices too high? Or a bit of both?

Why are houses so expensive?

Why would anyone invest on a gross yield less than 5% unless they knew they could make it up through inflation and leverage and that interest rates would be suppressed by the RBNZ to boost asset prices.

Why would anyone have negative gearing unless they knew they could make it back through capital gain. The govt guarantees at least 2% but has managed a lot more a year on housing traditionally. At least since the late 1980s anyway.

Is targeted inflation and the wealth effect really helping the average NZer?

Does removing the ring fencing make building houses cheaper or is it more like a subsidy to landlords to encourage investment a subsidy that is not available for home owners.
    Last edited by Aaron; Today at 11:05 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Interest had always been deductible but instead of addressing inflation targeting and monetary policy and 30 years of lower and lower rates and central banks constantly stepping in to save the over indebted speculators, Labour stopped interest deductibility. What I did like was that interest remained deductible if you were actually building new supply as I agree with you we need houses although I am not sure if I agree we need landlords instead of homeowners though.

You could argue that tenants are not likely to benefit from the interest deductibility being reintroduced. So you punish tenants by giving landlords more costs but benefit landlords by reducing them. Heads you lose tails I win.

A strong argument for encouraging home ownership in my opinion and working toward a more equal society instead of a feudal one.
    Not everyone can or wants to own a house and I know many that never want one. Too much restricted, as they want to be able to live the way they choose. Plus do you really want houses to go down to $400,000, if so that is the only way people will get into houses in this current market. It will destroy more than 50% of home owners retirement plans.

Look at what it costs to build a house and look at the property value. Sections are selling in Napier for a minimum of roughly $350,000 and most of these sections have conditions. Building on there is roughly $3000-3200 per square metre for a basic spec home. Older homes should be less to buy than new homes, for similar houses but not by $400,000-500,000, maybe $200,000.

I own 2 houses freehold and I want to sell both eventually to buy one house, but it has to be at a price I want. I got what I did by sacrificing 25 years of my life to work 7 days per week. People can do the same, although I agree it is tougher today. I am 48
    Last edited by Ggcc; Today at 04:34 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    Not everyone can or wants to own a house and I know many that never want one. Too much restricted, as they want to be able to live the way they choose. Plus do you really want houses to go down to $400,000, if so that is the only way people will get into houses in this current market. It will destroy more than 50% of home owners retirement plans.

Look at what it costs to build a house and look at the property value. Sections are selling in Napier for a minimum of roughly $350,000 and most of these sections have conditions. Building on there is roughly $3000-3200 per square metre for a basic spec home. Older homes should be less to buy than new homes, for similar houses but not by $400,000-500,000, maybe $200,000.

I own 2 houses freehold and I want to sell both eventually to buy one house, but it has to be at a price I want. I got what I did by sacrificing 25 years of my life to work 7 days per week. People can do the same, although I agree it is tougher today. I am 48
    Well done, I am not really advocating for people who do not want to crimp their lifestyle or make any sacrifice and expect home ownership.

Not sure where you got $400,000 from, even for me that seems a little low. If we took the average income of $53,040 or the median is better as this is $66,196 and assume both parents work at 5 times median income that is $661,960. I think historically 5 times income is expensive and even more historically we would be basing this on one wage. Amazing how inflation works on asset prices compared to wages over time.

Still $661,960 still sounds cheap compared to a $1mill average akld house only a couple of years ago.

Timing any market is tricky, who would have thought that selling your houses during a global pandemic was the best time. Appreciate why you want low interest rates and ezi money from the RBNZ, but I do not think it is good long term for NZ even though I can see how it would help your retirement plans.

What do you propose for NZ? historically low interest rates and historically high house prices? or perhaps negative rates to really get asset prices pumping (you may have a friend in Adrian Orr on that one as he is the only person I have heard mention such stupidity).

It might help your retirement but it shuts young people out of the market and imposes an inflation tax on the poor who do not benefit from all those lovely capital gains.

Good luck though hopefully a buyer will come along at a price you are happy with.
    Last edited by Aaron; Today at 05:42 PM.