sharetrader
Page 246 of 281 FirstFirst ... 146196236242243244245246247248249250256 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 2808
    Guru

I thought of this thread when I say this
    2021-10-18 13_58_22-Window.jpg

From this article
    https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1127...xes-or-cutting

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by arekaywhy View Post
    Miss-read your post it seems, my bad.

I do however think that the state should be a small entity, enforcing property rights, sure, but not infiltrating every facet of life.

For tax, I think you are right, it should be far simpler, with a flat tax, no exception, and some form of income exemption to a limit.
    Not possible to fulfill that order. An income exemption, whether a dollar limit or a percentage limit, immediately stops it being a flat tax.
    But keep thinking along those lines.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 18-10-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I thought of this thread when I say this
    2021-10-18 13_58_22-Window.jpg

From this article
    https://www.interest.co.nz/news/1127...xes-or-cutting
    If I read that chart correctly it looks a lot like intergenerational theft. Not only that but the next generation will pick up the tab for their national super and increased health costs.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    If I read that chart correctly it looks a lot like intergenerational theft. Not only that but the next generation will pick up the tab for their national super and increased health costs.
    It looks that way, doesn't it.
    As they say - the gap is probably a lot bigger now.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by arekaywhy View Post
    Miss-read your post it seems, my bad.

I do however think that the state should be a small entity, enforcing property rights, sure, but not infiltrating every facet of life.

For tax, I think you are right, it should be far simpler, with a flat tax, no exception, and some form of income exemption to a limit.
    I support a flat tax too. A flat tax on all gains, whether income or capital gains, with an annual tax free allowance.

I also think that NZ should have a pension scheme, which is tax deductible (up to a certain amount of contribution each year) and does not incur annual tax until distributions are made from it after retirement.

With respect to the state. It should enforce property rights, but it should also ensure that the property which has been afforded protection by the state (or society)be accumulated fairly or in a manner acceptable to society or“the state”. So product and environmental regulation is needed, along with marketing and employment standards.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 18-10-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    It looks that way, doesn't it.
    As they say - the gap is probably a lot bigger now.
    It is interesting how in 2018 wealth continues to increase until the age of about 75. Whereas in 2001 it started to decrease from the age of about 58 onwards.

So there will be more wealthier deceased estates or family trusts.

I guess back in the day earning income was relatively more important so that when someone retired, and had less income, their wealth would drop too. Whereas today wealth creation (and wealth maintenance in retirement) is much more reliant on the capital gains from exisiting assets (which to a great extent means residential property ownership in NZ).
    Last edited by Bjauck; 18-10-2021 at 05:20 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I support a flat tax too. A flat tax on all gains, whether income or capital gains, with an annual tax free allowance.
    As pointed out earlier, an annual tax free allowance prevents a flat tax. You cannot have both - impossible.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    As pointed out earlier, an annual tax free allowance prevents a flat tax. You cannot have both - impossible.
    No, every amount over the threshold would be taxed at a flat rate.

Especially important if you have no tax free threshold with respect to income/gains, we would need to look at GST as well. A continued flat tax regime on outgoings would need to be extended. So GST should be extended to asset purchases such as real estate and share purchases ( a stamp duty). To determine if you have an assessable capital gain, you could deduct the flat rate Stamp duty on the outlay in determining any gain.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 19-10-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    No, every amount over the threshold is taxed at a flat rate.

Otherwise if you had no tax free threshold, you would need either to do away with GST, or keep GST and introduce stamp duty at the same rate as GST on asset purchases such as real estate and share purchases.
    Yes, but that produces a progressive tax. Compare someone on 200k a year with the first 10k exempt with someone on 15k a year with the first 10k exempt - you work it out, but you will find they pay vastly different percentages. IOW progressive - not flat, but you knew that. You just forgot.
    I think a tax free threshold is possibly the best solution for the problems that any tax proposal has. I'm not necessarily against it. I am simply against using the misnomer 'flat-tax' when it is no-such-thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Yes, but that produces a progressive tax. Compare someone on 200k a year with the first 10k exempt with someone on 15k a year with the first 10k exempt - you work it out, but you will find they pay vastly different percentages. IOW progressive - not flat, but you knew that. You just forgot.
    I think a tax free threshold is possibly the best solution for the problems that any tax proposal has. I'm not necessarily against it. I am simply against using the misnomer 'flat-tax' when it is no-such-thing.
    Ok, I'll change it to single tax rate then, with tax free threshold, that is essentially what I think will be best for society, and the most fair way of robbing people at gunpoint