sharetrader
Page 78 of 281 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
    Guru

I would be happy if my girlfriend had not put an offer in on a house recently, and then told me after she had did it!!

Tin-foil Hatter

From the Herald yesterday:

------------------
    "Alistair Helm, the chief executive of realestate.co.nz, - the website owned by the major agents, says media stories have an immediate and significant impact on buyer and seller behaviour.

His study monitored seven websites - described as "the major portals and real estate company websites" over a two year period from January 2006 until the end of last month.

Helm says he has found a correlation between a fall off in traffic to these websites with negative media stories. "
    ---------------------

This imbecile pretends to be a researcher. With his knowledge of statistics, I'm sure he can move from a moronic profession to being a PhD.
    God - Please give us just one more bubble....

Tin-foil Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by patsy View Post
    From the Herald yesterday:

------------------
    "Alistair Helm, the chief executive of realestate.co.nz, - the website owned by the major agents, says media stories have an immediate and significant impact on buyer and seller behaviour.

His study monitored seven websites - described as "the major portals and real estate company websites" over a two year period from January 2006 until the end of last month.

Helm says he has found a correlation between a fall off in traffic to these websites with negative media stories. "
    ---------------------

I've also been studying the death notices in the printed media for two years. I've concluded that the media has an immediate and significant impact on the number of people dying. I have found a correlation between the number of deaths notices and the actual number of deaths. Therefore, the media is killing people.
    God - Please give us just one more bubble....

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd Crude View Post
    Buying houses or buying oil companies...
    Hum....

.^sc
    I had this debate with a friend of mine early this year... LOL. I am cashed up and bought some oilers and miners eg: NZO and PRC.. and he bought a rental property.

You guessed it!!! My NZO and PRC put on over 60% and yes, the property market continues to drop like a rock with dumbass realty agents tellijng everyone it is a good time to buy... ROFL HAHAHA..

The funny thing is people out there still thinks the property market is only going through a minor flat liner before it rallies again.. LOL. I am gonna pick up some really cheap property end of this year. There are properties selling below 2005 CV in good areas. Yippee.
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Advanced Member

SHREWDY, Ask your dad what he paid for the house, then the number of years he lived there, then the price its on the market. Come back to us with the percentage gain over the years, no need to quote prices. Then take into account if he rented plus the fact of the stability of owning rather than renting. He then had the opportunity of borrowing cheap money to play the market, or buy other properties. Why didnt he sell out, and play the market if the market is so good. Why is it you can borrow cheaper for property than you can for shares?. Hope your dad lets you know that property can be bought at a bargain price the same as shares, at any stage of the cycle. If your dad is selling to buy another house, then its in a similar market, so rise or falls in a falling market are in his favour.
    Takes longer to sell at a lower price but whats the rush?. When he is sitting in cash in a lower market whoopee doo. Macdunk

Aren't you talking about two different types of vehicles here. Surely the oil stocks are a short term speculative while the property is a long term investment? Let's not get confused about this.

Unfortunately there is no property crash on the North Shore. I might have to settle for an ex P-lab and clean out the place.

One of my friends bought a section right at the height of the property boom. She is now having difficulty with the mortgage. Guess what she does? No, she does not sell, but instead gets a second mortgage and plans to develop the property.
    Disclaimer: Do not take my posts seriously. They are only opinions.

AMR has sold all shares and is pursuing property.

Quote Originally Posted by AMR View Post
    place.

One of my friends bought a section right at the height of the property boom. She is now having difficulty with the mortgage. Guess what she does? No, she does not sell, but instead gets a second mortgage and plans to develop the property.
    WTF?? She is asking for trouble. I see mortgagee sale.
    Having got ourselves into a debt-induced economic crisis, the only permanent way out is to reduce the debt – either directly by abolishing large slabs of it, or indirectly by inflating it away.

Mackdunk,
    Sounds like yourve put a major assignment on my hands... bugger that...
    YES The historics look very good... I know the details, theres no point running you through them, I will only tell you about the present situation because Historics are insignificant... He willnot be rebuying any time shortly...

Your thought is comparable to EG, giving a presentation on New Zealand Oil now with company information of 3 years ago... Nobody invested gives a crap for what happened in the company back then... All investors care about in any market is what is going to happen now?
    where is the market headed?...
    should I get in or out?
    These are important questions you stay clear of...
    SO why do you give crap about historics?...
    I can answer this question...
    You have done very very well out of housing... so no matter what happens you are protected by your performance so you can at least come back when the market tanks and tell us "at least ive done well", its a protection mechanism you have which has done the newbie no good...
    eg, Its never a better time to buy than right now...
    Some of your advice has been quite damaging because you donot answer the important questions at hand for a newbie... this is not about finding a cheap house in any market... this is about finding a house for a newbie...
    We arenot businessmen here, we are first home buyers...
    big difference

You did the same sort of thing on NZO as with housing...
    You dont attack the issue at hand (NZO), you fight your way around it by saying what opportunity cost plays you invested in...
    what you could have otherwise done...
    this doesnot get to the main issue, which is NZO....
    will NZO perform or not... to be honest you never really said...
    all you said was last 5 years NZO did, 'blah blah blah'...
    You know NZO was a great stock, you never said it...
    You are doing exactly the same here...
    You are the man that people reading these threads take advice from,
    People and posters want to see what you have to say...
    You offer little help to those searching for answers...
    Ive asked you many times, you dodge the real questions potential investors want to know which is "what shall I do with housing NOW"....

forget about the past...This has little to do with The previous 5 years, previous 10 years, previous 20 years... or in your case, the previous 55 years in the market.......
    This is right here right now...
    The past looks good, the future looks good... These two things dont matter
    The present situation looks bad...
    You are stuffed if you cant change with the times...
    The Kid changed with the times, he sold almost everything...
    What have you done?
    I'll tell you what MD... dad would have got 615k about 5 months ago...
    Now hes asking 575k... He will probably get much less...
    First open home this weekend...
    Come down to the national convention, while you are here come check out the house... we are looking for an escape goat...

.^sc
    BITCOIN certified rat poop. NSA created, Expensive to send, slow, can only trade on cex, no autonomy, spaghetti code, has been hacked, accidental Backdoor brc20s whoops, no one building on it, alienated all cryptos against it, volume is fake, few whales control large supply... it will perform though

Advanced Member

Thumbs up

SHREWDY, You are wrong on a few points. Firstly with your father, if it was shares he had held for years would be silly to sell in a bad market. You now say he is selling property in a bad market, and say look i told you so. If you sell to buy in any market then the odds are in your favour. If however you are selling to get out the market, then that requires you to time the market. Getting back to your point of entering the market for the first time, you will find that with a little bit of homework getting yourself organized with finance in advance of any event, you will find a bargain in any market.
    I would suggest any potential first time home buyer, visit the bank or other lending agency to find out what they can borrow,against what deposit required.
    Do the homework, it costs nothing, then sit in at a few mortgagee sales with your hands firmly in your pockets until you learn something. I worked seven days a week after traveling the world with no family support to fall back on if it all went wrong to get started. I drove old bomb cars just to pay a mortgage when my mates were paying their cars off. I built my own kitchen cupboards bought a second hand stove and furnished my first house out a second hand shop. I shared my first house with work mates paying rent for a year before it all came right. It never is easy at the start, delaying it is not an option if you want to get ahead. Macdunk