sharetrader
Page 9 of 281 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

great stories JK, and YOTT
    U are a savage cat JK, a freak of nature... your sharemarket growth is highly comendable...
    so you are getting approximately 300% growth per year, wow, what have been some of your best picks?... im looking at 100% growth min this year... best pick I made in 06 was AED...also got 55% off ppp (annualised return) last year...

Property is a topic where it is very hard to change a set mind...If you are currently in property, then no doubt you have been successful... if you are successful at something then it is hard to see the other side... and the other side is that 1st homebuyers are priced out of the market... end of story

The whole idea of a business man is to find, cheap discounted assets, not expensive ones..

There is no relationship between past performance and future performance... a guaranteed return, or percieved guaranteed return...creates increased inflow of investment... which leads to over priced, over hyped assets...
    I have put 80% of my total wealth into australian dollars (ASX shares)... I dont want to hold NZ dollars when exchange rates and interest rates are unsustainably high... over the next 5-10 years its a guaranteed hedge against falling share prices...
    show me current guaranteed property investment going forward....
    currently I am a full time student, part time worker, mid time share growth investor...
    I study at Uni... consider myself savvy.... not savvy enough for Property i guess...
    [8D]
    .^sc
    BITCOIN certified rat poop. NSA created, Expensive to send, slow, can only trade on cex, no autonomy, spaghetti code, has been hacked, accidental Backdoor brc20s whoops, no one building on it, alienated all cryptos against it, volume is fake, few whales control large supply... it will perform though

quote:Originally posted by cantab

The thing I take from Sydney is that people are choosing to rent whereas investors are not buying rentals, accordingly the vacancy rate is now very low, about 2% and rents are rising strongly.
    Yes, the Sydney rental PE ratio may retrace fairly rapidly in the next few months as baby boomers flood the market with investment properties for sale to transfer money into their super funds before June 30 to take advantage of tax-advantageous transitional arrangements. House prices down, rents up. However I'm not sure rents are 'rising strongly' quite yet - the latest stats for Sydney indicate they're only up 3.4% for 06.

SEC

In simple terms residential property prices in NZ have risen at a far greater percentage per annum over the last 4 - 5 years than have wages and rents. To me, at some stage, either property prices have to stagnate for several years, but at the same time rents and wages would need to increase by economic growth, OR property prices need to drop about 20 % to bring everything back into line. The price increases appear to have been fueled mainly by more mortgage debt and there is only a certain amount people can borrow and service. Once everyone is "mortgaged to the hilt" the main driver for property price increases is gone.
    Hommel

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by Hommel

In simple terms residential property prices in NZ have risen at a far greater percentage per annum over the last 4 - 5 years than have wages and rents. To me, at some stage, either property prices have to stagnate for several years, but at the same time rents and wages would need to increase by economic growth, OR property prices need to drop about 20 % to bring everything back into line. The price increases appear to have been fueled mainly by more mortgage debt and there is only a certain amount people can borrow and service. Once everyone is "mortgaged to the hilt" the main driver for property price increases is gone.
    There is a very simple reason for the increase in property prices above the rise of inflation.
    1, Compliance costs for land developement.
    2,compliance cost for building.
    3, We now require an engineers report to cover minor problems.
    4, It costs double to have your plans drawn up which must show every last detail.
    5,If you are silly enough to think that the price of houses will drop, then good luck, try meeting the requirements to develope a new block of land and build on it.
    6,Not only have the costs gone up but to develop new land normally requires a certain ammount to be gifted back for parks etc.
    The price of houses will continue to rise at an ever faster rate. MACDUNK

Duncan I accept your point. I know people who have built new houses over the last few years and they are saying that building costs per m2 have gone up substantially over the last 2 or 3 years.
    But at the end of the day people can only borrow so much and they can only pay what they can afford. People's incomes / wages must be the limiting factor in the end.
    Hommel

Duncan, do you have the current average m2 building costs to hand? I recall that you have posted these figures maybe a year ago
    Death will be reality, Life is just an illusion.

Advanced Member

quote:Originally posted by Steve

Duncan, do you have the current average m2 building costs to hand? I recall that you have posted these figures maybe a year ago
    Sorry steve I dont have the latest figures. I got out the building game along with so many other builders because of all the stupidity, and rule changing. The building costs of compliance is unreal, i would hate to go along with all the crap of today. We never had a leaky home problem before the seventies, then we had rule changes by idiots who continue to change them. I have been warning people about this since the eighties. Had great arguements with councils, its time to move on. The price of new houses will increase faster than inflation. MACDUNK

Hommel, Shrewdy and others.
    It sounds like you have already resigned yourselves into the "rental rut". Unless you completely turn your thinking 180 degrees thats where you will stay.
    Instead of looking at a dozen reasons why your CAN'T, just find ONE reason why you CAN...NOW!
    Shrewdy...quote: "if you are successful at something then it is hard to see the other side... and the other side is that 1st homebuyers are priced out of the market... end of story"
    Rubbish! I worked my **** off for 27 years before I bought my first home. Not the big 3 BR house I always wanted but a very modest 2 br flat in Rotorua for $39k, on $7k deposit 24% interest, and lived in it 5 years. Still have it plus the other 4 in the block!
    I could have done the same thing 20 years sooner, with the right attitude.
    You say Auckland properties are over priced. Why do you have to buy in Auckland? Why not buy a $80k property in say Opotiki, rent it out, build some equity for deposit on a modest Ak home, rent part of it to yourself and be ready to take advantage of the next property cycle in 3 years?
    REMEMBER, McD's advice.... wealth is created using OPM (other peoples money).
    Learn the difference between good and bad debt.
    Think outside the square.
    You CAN! do it today if you really want to.
    You don't need spreadsheets, expensive strategists advice, consultants, etc etc all you need is to wake up in the morning and ask... "HOW! am I going to do it TODAY!"
    DO IT!!!
    Cheers
    JK

Hi Joe. Not in the "rental rut" here. Own a very nice freehold home thanks. I just have no desire to own rentals I would rather invest in the sharemarkets. Alot of the "money" people have made in property has been made from capital gains, especially in the last few years. The real earnings growth (rent) has not been a great factor. It all works fine while prices are going up. Sooner or later if prices go up and up no-one can afford to buy any more.
    Hommel

I can't see house prices dropping, $2000m to build a decent house in Christchurch, plus rising immigration. Average house $300,000, deduct land component $250,000 and the building and improvements only cost $50,000

Rents stink in Christchurch and have to go up, then buying an investment property will make sense. It's happening in Sydney:

Tenants get the blues as landlords rub their hands

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...104983576.html

Investment property is hands down the simplest, safest, you're in control way to generate wealth using the banks money - not at a 5% gross yield though.

Crusaders: Super 14 Champions 2008

SUPER Champions 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008

NINE finals, SEVEN titles