sharetrader
Page 437 of 899 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441447487537 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,370 of 8982

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Where do you think it will settle? There seem to be a few stocks that have just started to realign themselves with economic reality. Thinking ZEL, AIA, ANZ and this one to name a few. Is it a sign that the new "retail investors" are back in the office with work to do, or they've run out of powder, or some profit taking by the smart money? Or are people just getting real and we're seeing the beginnings of a correction back to an L shaped recovery?
    Saw recently a worthwhile presentation from Fisher funds. Here is a summary: https://fisherfunds.co.nz/newsroom/m...y-and-recovery

They defined the phases of a crisis as: Sell-Off, Stability, Reality and Recovery.

We did Sell-off and Stability for this crisis. Reality is next. I'd expect brutal SP reductions before we see the fourth phase.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Crikey there's some difficult questions in there. I think high end retail will really struggle, KMD is a very bad bet in my opinion. Does anyone really need a $400 jacket or other name brand item for the foreseeable future ? People will trade down in brands, google mountain warehouse. On the other hand basics and necessities will do just fine WHS should be perfectly okay.

Glassons Australia were doing really well before the lockdown and also Glassons N.Z. and Hallensteins were doing okay. This mid priced section of the apparel market is very difficult to read. Management have a very good reputation and an investment on the blind into HLG at this point without knowing the short term impact of Covid 19 is really a punt on management's ability to trade their way through this and get back to an acceptable level of profitability over time.

I like the company, the management and the mid priced position it occupies in the apparel sector. Their accounts are clean and easy to understand, there's no debt and no funny business with intangible assets or any other nonsense.

To value this however is incredibly hard. Some serious guesswork is involved. My sense is profitability will not recover to anywhere near previous level's until there's a vaccine and people feel really comfortable going to the mall again. On the other hand their online offer is very good but there remains in my mind fundamental uncertainty over how demand will shape up going forward.

There are clear demand, currency and cost headwinds, (significant increase in minimum wage from 1 April 2020 and again on 1 April 2021).
    I got really interested when it broke back down under $2 in late March, (having sold out in the late $5's a little while earlier). I was too greedy and was looking for $1.50 so missed that opportunity.

Back in August 2016 there was fundamental uncertainty with a number of large overseas chains looking to open stores here. The shares were $2.70 then, the dividend yield was 15% gross inclusive of imputation credits and the forward PE was less than 10. That was great buying and I did in decent volume.

We're not there yet. I see more risk at present than what existed in late 2016, considerably more. I think the best thing is to simply let this one settle down and have a look again when there's a clear and sustained new uptrend. I'll use a break up through the 100 day MA as my main TA indicator. I think in the meantime reality bites and the recent jump up from a low of $1.80 in late March has been overdone.

Now we're well on the way to getting on top of this virus in N.Z. I'd be interested again in the mid - late $2 range and might take a punt there even without TA indicators around there as I like the management. If it doesn't get down there I will use the 100 day TA signal to tell me when to get back in.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Thanks for the solid reply, Beagle

Well, I dipped my toe in the water again yesterday, having sold out on the 25th of March at $2.75...thought I was doing ok at time given it was 1.80 2 days beforehand, and expected it would track back towards 2 bucks again, but that didn't happen of course. Hindsight's a wonderful thing.

I know it's a risk getting back in at these levels, but it's 10 or so percent off the recent high, and their last update was much better than I anticipated. Will DCA if they get down towards $3.30 or less. Surely we won't see them sub 3 bucks again... Surely I'm not going to get this one wrong twice haha.

A few weeks ago I said based on a simple DCF valuation I thought fair value was around $3.5, following the recent positive update I think fair value is probably around $3.70. I also think there is a high likelihood I am wrong in the order of +- 25%, with less (but not negligible) chance I am wrong by a greater amount.

What does that above show?
    1. That most of the value in the business is due to mid and long term cash flows, not short term performance.
    2. If the SP falls to below $2.80 I would be looking to buy with increasing confidence.

A few other things, we now have more confidence HLG will not need to raise capital, coming out the other side HLG may have a fair bit of cash due to the cancellation of the recent dividend.

Agree James but DCF valuations are only as good as the multiple assumptions (guess's ?) that underpin them. Huge amount of guesswork involved here, nothing is clear. The below $2.80 area is really where I would need to see this to have sufficient confidence that there is sufficient buffer for the risks involved.
    In the meantime I am with BlackPeter that reality will probably bite really hard. Best wishes to holders.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Agree James but DCF valuations are only as good as the multiple assumptions (guess's ?) that underpin them. Huge amount of guesswork involved here, nothing is clear. The below $2.80 area is really where I would need to see this to have sufficient confidence that there is sufficient buffer for the risks involved.
    In the meantime I am with BlackPeter that reality will probably bite really hard. Best wishes to holders.
    Lockdown over ...no need to distance yourself from reality now,
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by James108 View Post
    A few weeks ago I said based on a simple DCF valuation I thought fair value was around $3.5, following the recent positive update I think fair value is probably around $3.70. I also think there is a high likelihood I am wrong in the order of +- 25%, with less (but not negligible) chance I am wrong by a greater amount.
    Yeah, I know, James, and I think I put it to you at the time that I thought it was worth about $2.30. You had the last laugh. I certainly don't want to pay $4+ at the moment, so picked up a small holding yesterday at $3.75, will park them long term if I have to and DCA if the opportunity arises. Confidence inspiring update last week and I'd always intended to have them in the long term portfolio. I expect as the value of our dollars gets watered down and interest rates remain minuscule, when these types of companies get back to paying good divvies, they'll be in greater demand than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Lockdown over ...no need to distance yourself from reality now,
    I wonder how quiet it is in their Queenstown stores ? Reality tends to bite over a period of time in my opinion. Interesting that they continued to pay dividends right through the GFC. They must think this time is worse. On 26 February 2009 in the depths of the GFC they were $2.13 but this is obviously worse. Hmmm
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-05-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Veteran novice

I wonder how quiet it is in their Queenstown stores ? Reality tends to bite over a period of time in my opinion. Interesting that they continued to pay dividends right through the GFC. They must think this time is worse. On 26 February 2009 in the depths of the GFC they were $2.13 but this is obviously worse. Hmmm
    Probably their quietest store in NZ? But hardly typical. I'd be more interested in how the Auckland, Wgtn, ChCh shops are faring. Not a time to buy HLG in my opinion - but they're well managed survivors and their time will come again.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Probably their quietest store in NZ? But hardly typical. I'd be more interested in how the Auckland, Wgtn, ChCh shops are faring. Not a time to buy HLG in my opinion - but they're well managed survivors and their time will come again.
    Probably. Interesting survey conducted by CNBC in the US came out overnight, sorry haven't got a link. Safe spending v at risk spending.
    What are you most likely to reduce spending on if your income falls ?
    #1. Dining out and entertaining, (already happening in a widespread way)
    #2. Apparel and footwear, (next shoe to drop ?, pardon the pun)
    #3 Travel and leisure. (obviously this has fallen off the edge of a cliff at present)

Obviously the travel and leisure market is in the toilet as is the hospitality industry but who would have guessed that apparel and footwear would be right up there in the same league in terms of what people will spend less on if they need to tighten their belt ?

Unsurprisingly spending on pets was well and truly down towards the bottom of the list.
    Guess what was right at the bottom of the list ? Broadband connectivity.
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-05-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Veteran novice

Guess what was right at the bottom of the list ? Broadband connectivity.
    Yes, it's become almost as necessary as food and shelter to a lot of people - such as us!