sharetrader
Page 467 of 899 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470471477517567 ... LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,670 of 8983
    Legend

What proportion of the Billions in Bonus Bond refunds is likely to be looking for a better home paying more than the fraction of 1% (before IRD takes their swipe out) the banks are currently paying ?
    Last edited by nztx; 26-09-2020 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add more

Legend

IMO - HLG is unique - one of the highest yields on the board currently with full Imputation credits
    Not much to not like about the Company, it's figures, even if one of the most difficult sectors out there
    but they've proven they are leaders in the field, where others here & in Aussie have fallen over.

HGH may well get back up the list again in future when Govt relax NZ bank dividend payment restrictions

There aren't all that many better quality shares with higher dividend yields & fully imputed

That suggests both HLG & maybe HGH later may deserve a SP rerating in time if not sooner, assuming past
    the shadows pundit's recessionary speils, HLG rides out the waves as well as it has in recent times
    Last edited by nztx; 26-09-2020 at 02:04 PM. Reason: add more

Guru

HLG seems to be a stock that does not attract much vol because its retail. No matter how well it has performed on the last decade it should be as balance says a 7 dollars stock already. But is seems to be hit every time like a cyclical stock. AIR attracts the money and this stock does not? Incredible , almost beyond logic.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 26-09-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Waltzingironmansinlgescul View Post
    HLG seems to be a stock that does not attract much vol because its retail. No matter how well it has performed on the last decade it should be as balance says a 7 dollars stock already. But is seems to be hit every time like a cyclical stock. AIR attracts the money and this stock does not? Incredible , almost beyond logic.
    HLG is my largest holding at 19.3% of my portfolio. AIR is my smallest at 0.3% (just enough to force me to keep watching their SP)

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I reckon as long as interest rates are going down, good dividend yield stocks likely in demand. It's when interest rates no longer under pressure dividend stocks going to be re-rated. What then? Maybe bank stocks worth looking at over the next wee while, one of the few shares likely to do well with rising interest rates?
    Question is - do we think Mr. or Mrs. Market are wrong? Nothing of what you said is unknown to them, and while they might be bipolar, they are not stupid.

Which just means that the HLG SP is (compared to the dividend yield) that cheap because

a) market thinks interest rates will go up (and therefore divi not anymore that outstanding) or
    b) market thinks HLG will not be able to maintain this amazing dividend.

I don't see any other reason which would not be a subset of b).

Personally I think option b) is more likely than option a, but whatever it is - HLG is not cheap considering the risks. Obviously - risks might not eventuate, but this would be luck.

Obviously - I realize that HLG does not fly nor float (which is good for an investment), but still - remember how everybody told us still 12 months ago what an amazing investment AIR is. I understand some people still believe that today. Who knows what happens to HLG in 12 months from now?

Enjoy the amazing divvie as long as it lasts ... but I am not convinced that the total return of HLG over say the next 10 years would be higher than e.g. that of FPH, OCA, SUM or MFT.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 26-09-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Question is - do we think Mr. or Mrs. Market are wrong?......
    The market is always right until it is wrong. Markets are forward looking, and since you can't see the future, logically the market is going to be wrong. However, market sentiment does not predict the future, so much as create the future so it is always right until it isn't. This is fairly predictable in a way which is why, with a little thought, you can make money off the market.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Question is - do we think Mr. or Mrs. Market are wrong? Nothing of what you said is unknown to them, and while they might be bipolar, they are not stupid.

Which just means that the HLG SP is (compared to the dividend yield) that cheap because

a) market thinks interest rates will go up (and therefore divi not anymore that outstanding) or
    b) market thinks HLG will not be able to maintain this amazing dividend.

I don't see any other reason which would not be a subset of b).

Personally I think option b) is more likely than option a, but whatever it is - HLG is not cheap considering the risks. Obviously - risks might not eventuate, but this would be luck.

Obviously - I realize that HLG does not fly nor float (which is good for an investment), but still - remember how everybody told us still 12 months ago what an amazing investment AIR is. I understand some people still believe that today. Who knows what happens to HLG in 12 months from now?

Enjoy the amazing divvie as long as it lasts ... but I am not convinced that the total return of HLG over say the next 10 years would be higher than e.g. that of FPH, OCA, SUM or MFT.
    I think your outlook lends itself to putting your money under the nearest mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    The market is always right until it is wrong. Markets are forward looking, and since you can't see the future, logically the market is going to be wrong. However, market sentiment does not predict the future, so much as create the future so it is always right until it isn't. This is fairly predictable in a way which is why, with a little thought, you can make money off the market.
    Sage words. Are you a student of Hayek?

Quote Originally Posted by dibble View Post
    I read one of his books many years ago, which I enjoyed. Students of Hayek are likely a bit extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by dibble View Post
    His Road to Serfdom is a classic

Word Serfdom used a lot these days ...pandemic ensuring that’s where we are heading.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”