sharetrader
Page 227 of 899 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327727 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Have any of those companies been around 144 yrs Lol.
    Radioshack started in 1921 but didnt make the century of existence, peaking around 1999 and filing for bankruptcy in 2015. It was also rescued by Tandy in the 1960's.

And its clear to me what REITs have to do with retail. They own the land and buildings that the shops lease to hawk their wares. If REITs are falling then retail footprints shrinking may well be a cause so this is commenting on the whole retail sector.
    However HLG is not the sector , it is in the sector. Sure headwinds are annoying and fighting the tide tiring, but sooner or later the winds shift and the tide turns.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Currency has bounced around 69-74 for a while. With the use of forward cover judging by results last year and outlook for the full year I'd say they are managing the situation extremely well.

US retail situation is very different to here. I vaguely recall reading recently that they're about four times as well serviced, (possibly over serviced) with malls of a per capita basis than N.Z.
    Kiwi Income property trust recent expansion of Lynnmall and major expansion of Sylvia park speaks for itself in terms of the N.Z. situation in my opinion.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Radioshack started in 1921 but didnt make the century of existence, peaking around 1999 and filing for bankruptcy in 2015. It was also rescued by Tandy in the 1960's.

And its clear to me what REITs have to do with retail. They own the land and buildings that the shops lease to hawk their wares. If REITs are falling then retail footprints shrinking may well be a cause so this is commenting on the whole retail sector.
    However HLG is not the sector , it is in the sector. Sure headwinds are annoying and fighting the tide tiring, but sooner or later the winds shift and the tide turns.
    Peat

imho the fate of US Reits is irrelevant to HLG as US mall floor space is 500-600% of NZ or Australia per capita. I.e. There are 5 similar malls for every one down under for the same population so is it any wonder there are a lot of US mall closures?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbroath View Post
    Peat

imho the fate of US Reits is irrelevant to HLG as US mall floor space is 500-600% of NZ or Australia per capita. I.e. There are 5 similar malls for every one down under for the same population so is it any wonder there are a lot of US mall closures?
    Internet shopping is on an entirely different level mixed with their retail, totally different markets...

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Internet shopping is on an entirely different level mixed with their retail, totally different markets...

For what it's worth, in a global context, in my opinion, the malls have sucked the life out of the high streets, and online shopping will, in turn, suck the life out of the malls.

It will happen at different rates in different countries, in different cities, but it will happen.

Similarly, off-shoring of clerical and administrative jobs isn't too good for office space, and the introduction of AI offerings will exacerbate that particular trend.

So my property exposure is to the likes of PFI, GMG, ARG - the industrial/commercial/logistics end of the market.

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    No offense taken James, I do have a tendency to be impulsive, which can get me into trouble, but I am learning heaps and although it may not seem like it I am getting better at investing and doing quite well with my other shares. That being said, you may be right and the share market may not be right for me, time will tell.
    I think what could of been said was that you should not panic when there are downward changes in the price of financial assets you own if you intend to hold them for a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Investor View Post
    I think what could of been said was that you should not panic when there are downward changes in the price of financial assets you own if you intend to hold them for a long period of time.
    Well, I think it depends if the drop in the price is just on the whim of the market or if there is a concrete reason for the drop.

In the short term it’s pretty hard to tell the difference.

As long as they continue to rapidiously strategize impactful initiatives which assertively fabricate consumer directed fungibility HLG should see increased profits over the next few years

No worries
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Can the weather be any more favourable for a clothing merchant? had to buy 5 jackets for my employees this month. two years ago I paid $100 from Kathmandu. This year I've been trying to get replacements from them. The best I can do is $175 for the same type. I tried to wait katamandu out for the last month for them to put on some discounting. Also looked to find a suitable cheaper alternative elsewhwere. now I've had to bite the bullet and pay full price because the guys are freezing. HLG must be loving those winter woolies and thermals flying out the door at their early winter prices.
    the extra $325 I paid for the Jackets wil be a drop in the ocean with the up sized divi coming next December. .....and December WILL come.

You would think so but Hallensteins has definitely been discounting online a lot more in the last couple of months, I've been getting offers sent to me almost weekly. These emails were few and far between over summer.