sharetrader
Page 302 of 899 FirstFirst ... 202252292298299300301302303304305306312352402802 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 8983

I think Iceman, Couta1 and others are right to have every confidence in the continuation of HLG's ability to pay dividends. An acid test for this would be for someone to research how well they held up through the GFC, arguably any retailers greatest test since the great depression of the 1930's. That said the size of the dividends is open to question...2019 shaping up as an interesting year
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...1+January+2019
    Disc: Not holding but interested in buying back at ~ $3.50.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Do you worry that as customers are trained to buy online, they might get comfortable doing that, and suddenly find themselves in a much larger shopping mall with a lot more choice and cheaper options? Suddenly HLG will only have its brand providing incentive to purchase, and that will be in contention as well.

Personally, I like hlg shares. This year i could see them either going up significantly due to growth plans, or down significantly due to markets.

Despite the large divie, im waiting until they suffer poor market result to buy back in. The reason being that id rather buy at half price and get a 20% div than buy now at 10% (or whatever it is). This gives better return and less risk of my capital suffering a market failure.

As a foreigner and someone who doesn't do a lot of clothes shopping, I don't have any appreciation of nzers perception of this brand, so my afore online shopping remark parents greater risk to me as a (future) investor.

percy

HLG have an excellent online sales chanel that saw onlines sales growth of 63.6%,representing 12.89% of group turnover for the year ended 1st August 2018.
    So not only are HLG making their bricks and mortar stores perform,closing poor performers and recycling the capital into refurbished and new stores,they are also growing their online sales dramatically.
    Best described as a "total package.".Design,logistics,display,stock control,cash control/generation,dividend payer.
    This is because they have a great board,and strong management with loyal experienced staff.

Currently I do not own any HLG ot LOV.yet I have both on my watch list.Most probably buy HLG first because of the imputated divie.
    Last edited by percy; 21-01-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Im undecided as to whether this is a trade or invest stock. Seems cyclic with highs and lows.

Buy at lows and sell at highs or buy at lows and enjoy dividends? I feel like with the risks to the industry, it's a trade stock.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Im undecided as to whether this is a trade or invest stock. Seems cyclic with highs and lows.

Buy at lows and sell at highs or buy at lows and enjoy dividends? I feel like with the risks to the industry, it's a trade stock.
    Maybe it is both?
    Should you buy right there should be no reason for a long term investor to sell.
    That is my intention,just a matter of timing.
    Last edited by percy; 21-01-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Banned

I have disciplined myself to hold the odd stock long term without touching and this is one of them,more than happy to add more if it drops much further.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

....As a foreigner and someone who doesn't do a lot of clothes shopping...
    What do you wear then? Fur?
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    What do you wear then? Fur?
    Lol funnily enough, Im currently covered in dog fur after playing with the dog. What a hilarious coincidence as i read this.

Looking at it as a cyclical stock - so orthodox wisdom says Price-Sales is better indicator of value that Price-Earnings - the track record for the last 10 years suggests it's a sell at PS over 1.1 (hit at $6 last year) and a good buy below 0.8. Currently 0.86.
    However, let's not forget that the company has been growing market share in NZ, and the successful expansion of Glassons in Australia does give offer a long growth runway - particularly for a well-managed company with high returns on capital.
    (But also keeping in mind headwinds from a potential consumer downturn - particularly with falling house prices in Australia, increased competition, and the lower NZD and esp AUD. Margins currently 9.8%, low of 6.1% in 2016; would still leave P/cashflow around 10, allowing for ongoing high divies)
    Last edited by DarkHorse; 21-01-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think Iceman, Couta1 and others are right to have every confidence in the continuation of HLG's ability to pay dividends. An acid test for this would be for someone to research how well they held up through the GFC, arguably any retailers greatest test since the great depression of the 1930's. That said the size of the dividends is open to question...2019 shaping up as an interesting year
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/ind...1+January+2019
    Disc: Not holding but interested in buying back at ~ $3.50.
    http://www.dividendyield.co.nz/viewdetails.php?loc=HLG