sharetrader
Page 129 of 899 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229629 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 8983

Topshop in Australia in administration - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11862949

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    Bookshops, CD shops and even video rental stores don't exist in the same way they did even 10 years ago.

Just because a store has been around for over a century doesn't mean that it will be around for a century more. These big global chains didn't become big global chains for nothing.

I'm still a believer in HLG but it certainly pays to be aware of what is going on. Retail globally is changing pretty quickly at the moment.
    Maybe I am old fashioned but I still believe that by and large people want to try clothes on for fit, feel, look and fabric before they buy them which gives a middle of the market operator like HLG with a widespread retail footprint across N.Z. and in Australia an enduring business model. Sure overseas chains might try and cherry pick the main centers but they're never going to go into provincial N.Z. like HLG do as there are so many other countries / cities to cherry pick. At the right price I am a buyer of HLG again, (presently don't hold any).
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Maybe I am old fashioned but I still believe that by and large people want to try clothes on for fit, feel, look and fabric before they buy them which gives a middle of the market operator like HLG with a widespread retail footprint across N.Z. and in Australia an enduring business model. Sure overseas chains might try and cherry pick the main centers but they're never going to go into provincial N.Z. like HLG do as there are so many other countries / cities to cherry pick. At the right price I am a buyer of HLG again, (presently don't hold any).
    Us old fashioned people are not big clothes buyers.
    The fastest growing part of HLG is their on line sales,which is growing 4 or 5 times faster than their bricks and mortsar stores.
    Take care.

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Us old fashioned people are not big clothes buyers.
    The fastest growing part of HLG is their on line sales,which is growing 4 or 5 times faster than their bricks and mortsar stores.
    Take care.
    It's my experience that online clothes buying mainly happens when its either cheap (vastly discounted) or not available locally. The issue is a lot money is wasted buying clothes that are not quite right. If they dont get returned they just become closet fillers. People eventually go off the idea and revert to buying off the rack at full price. Internet sales will no doubt grow but a good bricks and morter clothes store will allways be worth while...
    Last edited by t.rexjr; 26-05-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I think it's a generational thing, Roger. I certainly need to try on clothes for my "changeable" size/shape but a certain 21 year old relative of mine buys a lot of his gear, including jeans and other casual pants, shirts, knitwear etc, on-line from various Chinese suppliers. Never seems to have any problems and although the quality, feel and fabric wouldn't always suit me the prices are very attractive. I doubt that HLG's strong presence in provincial NZ will provide a moat to that type of competition.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by t.rexjr View Post
    It's my experience that online clothes buying mainly happens when its either cheap (vastly discounted) or not available locally. The issue is a lot money is wasted buying clothes that are not quite right. If they dont get returned they just become closet fillers. People eventually go off the idea and revert to buying off the rack at full price. Internet sales will no doubt grow but a good bricks and morter store will allways be worth while...
    Not so.
    Go to www.estaronline.com and read up about on line sales and note who their customers are.
    Then read case histories.
    Then google empty malls .
    Last edited by percy; 26-05-2017 at 04:31 PM.

Not so.
    Go to www.estaronline.com and read up about on line sales and note who their customers are.
    Then read case histories.
    Then google empty malls .
    I think there is a difference between buying clothes online (something you are familiar with and know it is going to fit you, look good and feel good) and buying clothes online (something you know nothing about until it arrives on your doorstep). The latter is a fad that even young people will tire of

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I think there is a difference between buying clothes online (something you are familiar with and know it is going to fit you, look good and feel good) and buying clothes online (something you know nothing about until it arrives on your doorstep). The latter is a fad that even young people will tire of
    Definite difference between clothes and other products. I'm a heavy online purchaser. Buying clothes online is now next to never. Burnt too many times. I'd rather pay full price for one good thing than half price for 2 bad things. It's the sentiment of many of my peers...

percy

Quote Originally Posted by t.rexjr View Post
    Definite difference between clothes and other products. I'm a heavy online purchaser. Buying clothes online is now next to never. Burnt too many times. I'd rather pay full price for one good thing than half price for 2 bad things. It's the sentiment of many of my peers...
    I am the same,yet the figures show on line clothing sales for the likes of David Jones,Country Road,Rodd & Gunn,Rebel Sports,Swanndri and HLG are increasing between 25% and 35% pa, while their bricks and mortar stores are doing well to be up over 3% to 5%.
    Last edited by percy; 26-05-2017 at 05:33 PM.

I am the same,yet the figures show on line clothing sales for the likes of David Jones,Country Road,Rodd & Gunn,Rebel Sports,Swanndri and HLG are increasing between 25% and 35% pa, while their bricks and mortar stores are doing well to be up over 3% to 5%.
    The revenue figures would be more on point than the growth figures when assessing the future of a physical store. Online sales will indeed be where the growth is. That's far from an issue...
    Perhaps in years to come the form of the physical store will need to change but I'll say it again, a good bricks and morter clothes store will always be worth while.