sharetrader
Page 13 of 899 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113513 ... LastLast

If HLG opens stores in China, where the clothing made from. Could you guys see huge growth there?

percy

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Ah right. Being a Canadian and thoroughly addicted to the only sport that really matters (ice hockey) I had no clue he used to be a cricketer.

No doubt he's built it all up well, but the past year and a half saw it fall off the rails a bit! Time to get it back up onto them eh?
    I don't think ice hockey players put runs on the board,more pucks in the net.!!!
    I think you started the cricket talk with runs on the board???
    Back to HLG.Tim Glasson has a record of performing.They have had the odd bad season/year,but have always bounced back.
    Their stores are well laid out,they flow well,their quality and selection is always good.They manage to fit a lot of well displayed stock in their stores.
    If I was looking to buy a retail stock I would consider either BRG or HLG.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I am off course referring to his 40 year history of run scoring.Double centuries,6s,etc and still putting runs on the board.Has also been a very handy fielder paying big dividends,which shareholders have caught with both hands.
    Taking the very small business of Glassons,developing it, and then merging it to form HGL,which he helped grow further.
    Stuffed he young ones here Percy

HLG is a great company .....century plus heritage eh.

Even last year it was hugely profitable even though not one of the best years. They made $14m odd on $63m on equity (and while holding heaps of cash and no debt)

Shareholders have only ever contributed $28m. That worth over $200m on the market today. Pretty good value added eh, especially taking into account the hundreds of millions of divies paid out over the years - $100m in the last 5 years alone.

Can't do better than that

Tim a legend in NZ retail alright. HLG as we know it today hugely successful.

Pity that underneath all this people's judgement on the company often based on a squiggly line. A squiggly line that punters decide the shape, not the company eh. Prob Tim as majority shareholder doesn't even know what the squiggly line looks like.

HLG go about doing things well, punters play around and while some are happy some are sad

HLG will be here in decades to come, won't they percy

percy

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post

HLG is a great company .....century plus heritage eh.

Even last year it was hugely profitable even though not one of the best years. They made $14m odd on $63m on equity (and while holding heaps of cash and no debt)

Shareholders have only ever contributed $28m. That worth over $200m on the market today. Pretty good value added eh, especially taking into account the hundreds of millions of divies paid out over the years - $100m in the last 5 years alone.

Can't do better than that

Tim a legend in NZ retail alright. HLG as we know it today hugely successful.

Pity that underneath all this people's judgement on the company often based on a squiggly line. A squiggly line that punters decide the shape, not the company eh. Prob Tim as majority shareholder doesn't even know what the squiggly line looks like.

HLG go about doing things well, punters play around and while some are happy some are sad

HLG will be here in decades to come, won't they percy
    Thanks for you well thought out post Winner69.
    I look for "good" businesses to invest in.A "good" business can have a "bad' year,and a "bad" business can have a "good" year,but the good business will survive .Telling the difference is sometimes hard,but a good performer usually keeps performing.
    Pucks in the net,not in the face.???

Banned

I don't think ice hockey players put runs on the board,more pucks in the net.!!!
    I think you started the cricket talk with runs on the board???
    Back to HLG.Tim Glasson has a record of performing.They have had the odd bad season/year,but have always bounced back.
    Their stores are well laid out,they flow well,their quality and selection is always good.They manage to fit a lot of well displayed stock in their stores.
    If I was looking to buy a retail stock I would consider either BRG or HLG.
    In regards to quality and selection, myself and another perosn my age had a conversation about HLG today. We both agree that HLG quality/selection has gone down hill and is prone to pandering to the hipster generation (for you oldies that don't know what this is, it's the guys trying to grow moustaches, girls with overly large sunglasses, and both drinking "craft" beers and no idea about the reality of life in general). We both have stopped going to HLG, but I guess we can chalk that one up to age and refinement of ones palate. Obviously, people are still buying the stuff by the bucketload! For balance, their website is of good quality and quite well laid out.

Percy, as I said before, if they can keep this up then they will be up there with BGR no problem. I still consider BGR market darling #1 though

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    It's not too hard these days

Banned

Pucks in the net,not in the face.???
    At least it's not pucks in the crotch! D'oh!

Tim has a neat little pad in Sydney to stay in when he's over there

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/rea...625-zskzn.html

percy

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    In regards to quality and selection, myself and another perosn my age had a conversation about HLG today. We both agree that HLG quality/selection has gone down hill and is prone to pandering to the hipster generation (for you oldies that don't know what this is, it's the guys trying to grow moustaches, girls with overly large sunglasses, and both drinking "craft" beers and no idea about the reality of life in general). We both have stopped going to HLG, but I guess we can chalk that one up to age and refinement of ones palate. Obviously, people are still buying the stuff by the bucketload! For balance, their website is of good quality and quite well laid out.

Percy, as I said before, if they can keep this up then they will be up there with BGR no problem. I still consider BGR market darling #1 though

It's not too hard these days
    First of all I must admit I agree with you on BGR.
    Laughing about you and your friend's conversation about HLG.
    I would think young men have had the same conversation about HLG for about the past 100 years!!!!
    I expect it may be the same for the next 100years.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post
    HLG is updating the market on December and YTD sales shortly.

August - Nov sales up 2% on 2013
    NZ Dec retail card spending on apparel up 1% on Dec 2013.
    It was a cold December.

Any guesses? 2% rise I'm guessing, 5% profit increase for the YE 1/2/15, and a steady share price.

Is the share poxed, like WHS, KMD, and PPL OK like BGR, or in-between?

Keen to hear others' thoughts.
    Nice to be wrong sometimes.
    Nice too that there was no apparent 'information leak' before this announcement .
    And that the company blamed *itself* for last year's poor profit - and did something about it.

Have increased my long-term growth guess from 5% pa to 8%, since HLG forecasts 30% growth for the current 6 months.

And the bunter-valuation (c) rises from 5.97 to 6.9

Remember two years ago when AIR was cheap, and the company forecast a sharp rise in profits?
    Many refused to invest because 'airlines don't make profits long-term'. I got in small-scale and reluctantly, feeling it was the wrong thing to do..

Now 'retail is dying because of the internet'.

Anyone game to go against the herd and buy HLG?

Quote Originally Posted by bunter View Post

Now 'retail is dying because of the internet'.

Anyone game to go against the herd and buy HLG?
    I agree with your post bunter. Thought about the long term effect of the internet on clothes retailers before buying more HLG when the price tanked. Mrs Satan would never buy clothes on the internet, so no worries I guess.