sharetrader
Page 135 of 899 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185235635 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post
    Not sure about all the discounts they are offering getting spammed two or three emails a day I think the currency is the only thing in their favour at present
    Reading the interium report Hallensteins profit was down significantly YOY, which was more than covered by Glassons performance. Seems to be that menswear is very competitive and margins are being squashed, but the discounting via email is overkill and gets very annoying.

The cold weather, exchange rate and strong overall result for the first half will mean a solid year IMO.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Wink Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam [repeat]

I will settle for 'adequate', 'reasonable' or a simple 'OK' year.

BTW there is probably an unsubscribe link in the emails.

Best Wishes
    Paper Tiger
    om mani peme hum

Hunting for Heuristic trends

The news about Amazon coming to Australia next year is generating some high level thoughts on just how soon it will expand to NZ, possible 12 to 24 month timeframe ??.
    The potential impact may be significant.

Thoughts folks...

Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    The news about Amazon coming to Australia next year is generating some high level thoughts on just how soon it will expand to NZ, possible 12 to 24 month timeframe ??.

Thoughts folks...
    I remember many years ago when the Warehouse started aggressively expanding there was panic that all other stores would be forced out of business. Didn't happen, eventually others found their niche and indeed improved their image/price/marketing etc. In the end it was only the badly run, smaller uneconomic stores that were forced out of business. Same when Supermarkets started - initially the smaller stores closed (I saw the impact when my uncle started the first 4 Square Supermarket in Christchurch about 1962) but now there are still lots of others (nite 'n day, on-the-spot, food bag, various corner delis etc) that find a profitable niche.

It will be the same with Amazon. Yes there will be an initial impact but others will adjust their business model to provide what Amazon can't.

Thoughts folks...
    Hard to say. Amazon would not be the first disruptor entering the Australian market but not following up with a move to NZ. We are just such a small and immaterial part of the world market that they may or may not bother. Remember when Aldi broke into the Australian market? We (knowing them from Europe) hoped that they might follow through to NZ to make live for Foodstuff / Progressive Enterprises a bit harder and for consumers so much more better. However - they never bothered. Amazon might be the same ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Currency over 75 cents U.S. now, nice tailwind there. SP been creeping back up and I am not surprised. Disc: Been quietly accumulating for dividend yield.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Beagle, I agree, As the divi approaches the "interest" grows,
    Same strategy here...

Im also waiting for STU to reach its "emotional overreaction bottom level" then time to borrow Couta's truck...
    Last edited by arc; 27-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Beagle, I agree, As the divi approaches the "interest" grows,
    Same strategy here...

Im also waiting for STU to reach its "emotional overreaction bottom level" then time to borrow Couta's truck...
    Coutta not lending his truck and trailer unit mate, currently full of A2, CUNNING !!!
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robomo View Post
    I remember many years ago when the Warehouse started aggressively expanding there was panic that all other stores would be forced out of business. Didn't happen, eventually others found their niche and indeed improved their image/price/marketing etc. In the end it was only the badly run, smaller uneconomic stores that were forced out of business. Same when Supermarkets started - initially the smaller stores closed (I saw the impact when my uncle started the first 4 Square Supermarket in Christchurch about 1962) but now there are still lots of others (nite 'n day, on-the-spot, food bag, various corner delis etc) that find a profitable niche.

It will be the same with Amazon. Yes there will be an initial impact but others will adjust their business model to provide what Amazon can't.
    Supermarkets destroyed Fruit & veg and Butcheries. They used to be cash cows...

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Coutta not lending his truck and trailer unit mate, currently full of A2, CUNNING !!!
    Damn... I thought he had a Haybarn he stored those goods in...

Quote Originally Posted by t.rexjr View Post
    Supermarkets destroyed Fruit & veg and Butcheries. They used to be cash cows...
    TRex, yes the "physical market" is always vulnerable to new tricks of the trade.
    The Internet as a commercial tool still continues to change business landscapes. With Hallensteins existing web presence they are at least in the running. I think it will come down to their ability to "Bulk buy" goods and "overall throughput" to mitigate Amazons potential presence. Personally I dont discount actual bricks and mortar presence, there is something psychologically satisfying about "touch and try". Hallensteins -you may want to think about training some staff in helping the average "sense-less" guys with "Dress sense"... give them a competitive edge ...
    Last edited by arc; 27-07-2017 at 03:25 PM.