sharetrader
Page 24 of 899 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124524 ... LastLast
    percy

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    These are qualiTEE Panel shirts with designs printed all over ,not just an old fashioned little oblong print on the front of the thinnest piece of nano cotton. Get with it Percy; age is no excuse . Postiplus has imitations of everything and serves a purpose for those on a true budget and those scrooges with no taste
    I am getting good wear from my "woolie pullies".

IMO

True. I did drop in to compare polyprop prices with farmers red dot sale and bought a decent undergarment there a few weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Ok time to rerun my dividend yield valuation. I am going to stick to the last five years of results, simply becasue the retail scene does seem to be evolving so fast.

Year Interim Dividend Final Dividend eps
    2014 12.0cps 16.5cps 24.2cps
    2013 16.0cps 17.5cps 31.3cps
    2012 14.5cps 19cps 31.0cps
    2011 14.0cps 17.0cps 29.3cps
    2010 14.0cps 17.0cps 34.3cps
    Total 70.5cps 87.0cps 150.1cps

Payout ratio (5yr average): (70.5 +87.0)/ 150.1 = 105% (Not sustainable?)

Average Annual payout (5yr average): 31.5cps

If we consider a yield of 6.5% over today's business cycle being 'fair', then my valuation for HLG is:

31.5/ 0.065 = $4.85SNOOPY
    Well my furry beagle friend - You'd struggle to find a more clean and tidy balance sheet than HLG's one. No B.S. intangible assets or goodwill, no debt other than trade creditors, moderate stock level's and excellent stock turn.
    You've answered you own question as to why people invest in this stock...for the excellent dividend feed. When my much loved Beagle, now departed sensed a good feed, she was in with all the enthusiasm of a hungry dog with tail wagging and little pot belly filling up...she could smell a good feed from 100 yards off...so what's wrong with your nose mate You needn't apply for a job at the airport as a beagle hound out there if you can't see the feeding that goes on here..if you can't smell it, I put fair value in bigger font for you so maybe you can see it
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-07-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Default Scared of competition?

The entrance and potential entrance of the world's large fast fashion retailers, Top Shop, H & M, Zara/Mango and Uniqlo into NZ should be keeping Hallensteins shareholders up late at night.

So that's why I haven't been sleeping well lol. I haven't heard of any of them but then I am just an average bloke so what would I know about fashion ? Maybe I'm just like other HLG customers...just want good stylish gear at a fair average price and couldn't give a toss about what's the latest trend from overseas unless we're talking about cars or boats
    Last edited by Beagle; 02-07-2015 at 07:06 PM.

Top shop/ H&M, Zara/Mango are a tier above HLG I would have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by slimwin View Post
    Top shop/ H&M, Zara/Mango are a tier above HLG I would have thought.
    Nail on the head. HLG really does (in my eyes) almost have its own market segment and offers quality, very regularly updated and attractively priced fashion. I know for me, and a lot of other guys out there, HLG is just our go-to place for a quick and painless yet successful wardrobe shop when we can't be bothered shopping around. They keep up to date, have amazing turnover, and have deals you can't refuse. Topshop and Zara are definitely a cut above HLG and they charge a premium for that and as a result attract a different type of customer.

And Roger, I'm sure you would know Amancio Ortega Gaona If you've ever visited Forbes He's Mr. Zara.

Roger, if you don't know who they are you shouldn't be owning HLG shares. Bit like owning Air NZ and having no idea who American Airlines and Eithad are!

Agree that Top Shop and Zara are a tier above, H & M and Uniqlo though aim for exactly the same market and with similar prices to Hallensteins and Glassons. 5-10 of either and probably both in NZ is inevitable in my opinion and will hurt HLG.

Wet Seal Whipped: Expect More Casualties As Fast Fashion Retailers Take Over Teen Market

Interesting. I've only ever dealt with h&m and zara in europe (being dragged through them). I've heard at least h&m do it different in asia. ie, more budget.

I guess brand loyalty counts for nothing when it comes to young-uns buying clothes. And they may even want to be more 'european'.

Brands come and go though and HLG are still here....

Quote Originally Posted by slimwin View Post
    Brands come and go though and HLG are still here....
    Jaa - This. You don't build a brand here in 5 minutes. HLG are on a PE of 11 and a gross divvy of 12.5% based on the $3.35 when I looked at it on 1 July.
    Compares to their best retail peer who also have carved out a very well respected niche in the mid price point in their market BRG on a PE of 15.5 and a gross divvy yield of about 6.5%
    WHS on a PE of about 17 last time I looked.

Sometimes with investment you've just got to stay focused no matter what the competition is doing because the investment metrics are so compelling and the brand has built a very loyal following.
    This statement applies equally to AIR N.Z. on a forward PE of 6.7.

To be honest I have heard of Top Shop and got some feedback from Noodles that its nothing to be really concerned about with their one store in Auckland. Ask him but I think from memory his wife went there and he told me she was pretty underwhelmed....least that's my recollection but you're probably better hearing it straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-07-2015 at 10:04 AM.