sharetrader
Page 287 of 899 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297337387787 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,870 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Good old Hallys, its the oldest member on the NZX since 1947! Followed by Mercer(dog), EBOS and Sanford
    NZX shelf life shockingly brief for too many
    And HLG market cap today about what it was in 1993 ...25 years ago

Better not adjust for inflation eh
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Very cool isn't it but sad that after being listed for a whopping 71 years its not part of the NZX50
    Was part of the NZX50 not that long ago but got kicked out

That’s what happens to cyclicals

Very cool isn't it but sad that after being listed for a whopping 71 years its not part of the NZX50
    Actually - they used to be ... but if you look at some of the starlets (like e.g. WYN and CBL) flying through the NZX50, and if you look at some of the serial underperformers who still are (FBU anyone?) - it might not be such a great achievement to be part of the club anyway.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    And HLG market cap today about what it was in 1993 ...25 years ago

Better not adjust for inflation eh
    Ouch....$3 in 1993 is worth $4.97 now adjusted for inflation https://rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-policy...ion-calculator Just as well inflation has been very low for the past 25 years isn't it !
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-12-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Ouch....$3 in 1993 is worth $4.97 now adjusted for inflation https://rbnz.govt.nz/monetary-policy...ion-calculator Just as well inflation has been very low for the past 25 years isn't it !
    Working the other way market cap 232m in 1993 is 384m today ....or $6.40 a share

So in ‘real inflation adjusted terms’ HLG market cap has fallen by 40% odd in 25 years

No wonder the share registry is relatively small and punters only get excited with them every now and again.

Lots of comments on mcap past and present, anyone done the numbers of the dividends paid out since HLG listed in comparison to peers?

It'll be $3 again when they do a 2:1 share split

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Working the other way market cap 232m in 1993 is 384m today ....or $6.40 a share

So in ‘real inflation adjusted terms’ HLG market cap has fallen by 40% odd in 25 years

No wonder the share registry is relatively small and punters only get excited with them every now and again.

Its a yield stock with a cyclical element. Savvy investors will work the cycles and those that time it right will do extremely well. Others will hold for yield long term and also do pretty well. It got to about $6 many years ago as you pointed out and the smart money knew it was a sell up there, just like it was this time.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Veteran novice

Yes, it's a yield stock and generally yields pretty well! Seems to attract an inordinate amount of attention from these threads for such a small, unexciting stock! A bit like Ryman's used to be - but the savvy investor can still do well buying the dips and selling the peaks.

There are less AU Glassons stores than N.Z. and the Aussie market is about 5 times the size...they held back 10 cps in cash flow in the first half and Australian sales are growing at 60%...join the dots mate
    I don't know any more than what's disclosed in the various company reports but I think AU expansion is the most exciting aspect to HLG and why I thin k this is a great hold, (apart from the cheap PE an d outstanding dividend yield of course).
    I remain more than happy to hold long term with the way the company is growing and with the recent noticeable change in weather I am sure their Autumn / winter collection is flying out the doors. Trading on a 2018 PE of less than 10 I maintain its difficult to find better value on the NZX.
    Great isn't it mate. Massive growth potential there as economies of scale and distribution efficiencies kick into gear. With the Au market being five times the size of N.Z. I'm expecting huge things from HLG in the years ahead as they accelerate Au expansion. Glassons has finally cracked the hard Au nut and we are set to enjoy great things going forward. Cash flow was 30 cps this half so they're holding back heaps of cash to fuel Au expansion but keeping quiet about it as this stage.
    Even I didn't think this was a growth stock when I bought at ~ $2.80 quite a while ago. Funny how a classic dividend hounds stock has morphed into a stock with huge growth potential, not that I'm complaining ! I guess I could sell some and sit on the free ones but this dog is too cunning to play games like that, bought more so future profits and dividends will be even bigger
    Strong growth for the foreseeable future in my opinion mate. A great stock to own as part of a well diversified portfolio in tandem with seven other good stocks

Well, that's a wrap folks! Another outstanding performance!

Macduffy — it’s really exciting when it doubles in price quite quickly at times. That gets it an inordinate amount of attention .....

.......and an inordinate amount of attention as the share price falls 20% then 30% then 49% and maybe even 50% as the punters debate whether it’s cheap or not

Nothing boring with HLG ....it’s either on a roll or down in the dumps.