sharetrader
Page 296 of 899 FirstFirst ... 196246286292293294295296297298299300306346396796 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,960 of 8982

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12179699

Hoping for an upswing with external forces chipping in...

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by carrom74 View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12179699

Hoping for an upswing with external forces chipping in...
    All good, but they can't avoid the two-three months of consumer spending that came with last years early and prolonged summer that hasn't happened this year. I reckon they'll have quite a few truckloads of summer stock that hasn't sold yet because summer hasn't arrived, and unless summer does arrives they'll be stuck with massively discounted end-of-summer sales. That'll be obvious even before Christmas, maybe even now.

It's a fickle business and it's been around long enough for the brokers, commentators and punters to know when a bumper season is on us, and when it's not. Currently it's not. That's what makes a cyclical.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12180870
    Historical PE off ANZ securities website
    WHS 31.4
    KMD 8.1
    BGR 11.8
    HLG 8.9

KMD's PE looks interesting given they are reporting higher same store sales growth than HLG and talking up a significant increase in interim period profitability whereas HLG are talking there's down.
    (Could be an interesting punt for 2019 assuming the bear doesn't get really rampant, (as a lot of their sales really are consumer discretionary)
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Paymark says pre-Xmas sales in NZ booming just before Xmas - reckon seasonal spend could be up 5%/6% on last year

Wonder how things are going in Australia — Australia will make or break HLG this year. NZ not that much of an issue.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

If HGL can increase their market share in Aussi which I am expecting them to do (the good retailers that they are ) along with an increase in general retail spending they should do well.

No Worries from this cats point of view.

Spend up to Christmas not that brilliant ....barely ahead of last year the paymark man says

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12182048

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Spend up to Christmas not that brilliant ....barely ahead of last year the paymark man says

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12182048
    So...spending was up a "whopping" 1 % on last year. Just as well they don't adjust it for the 2% inflation eh otherwise they'd be saying in real inflation adjusted terms spending is down 1% ! Hope HLG sell raincoats and umbrella's and maybe they should stock inflatable boats...(all that's really needed in Auckland the last couple of days and tomorrow), where's summer ? http://www.nzherald.co.nz//nz/news/a...037&ref=clavis
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-12-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

percy

Headlines in today's papers.
    Boxing Day bonanza.
    Traffic congestion not only in Mt.Wellington,but around Westfield Riccarton,and Bunnings in Blenheim Road .
    I noted a huge que of cars trying to get into Harvey Norman car park in Moorhouse Ave.
    So I would expect HGL would have traded well.
    Hot days here on Saturday and Sunday should help them move Summer stock.
    The sharemarket does not appear to have affected HGL's customers.Will it ever.?

ps.I remember when I started my first retail store,which was a toy shop,there was suppose to be a recession one Christmas.Doom and gloom,however I missed it, as I was too busy to read the newspapers.
    Last edited by percy; 27-12-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post

ps.I remember when I started my first retail store,which was a toy shop,there was suppose to be a recession one Christmas.Doom and gloom,however I missed it, as I was too busy to read the newspapers.
    Nice one percy

My wife once saw on the TV news there was a recession coming and asked that’s bad isn’t it winner. I said remember 5 to 6 years ago, was that bad ....no .....well that was a recession and you didn’t know about that did you.

Headlines are only noise eh but life goes on.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Nice one percy

My wife once saw on the TV news there was a recession coming and asked that’s bad isn’t it winner. I said remember 5 to 6 years ago, was that bad ....no .....well that was a recession and you didn’t know about that did you.

Headlines are only noise eh but life goes on.
    A good thing to remember whilst reading all the doom and gloom articles in the Herald, 90% of it is just garbage.PS-Expecting a good report from HLG in Feb.