sharetrader
Page 341 of 899 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391441841 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,410 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Probably they're correct but there can be quite a difference in viewpoints between the different generations.
    According to a graph I saw the other day on CNBC based on US analysis over the last 20 years, young people are consistently considerable more optimistic than the over 55 age group. HLG group targeting the right demographic group then eh
    Great to see their digital sales roaring ahead to 15%, substantially more than other N.Z. retailers.
    Generational stuff is fascinating and is a key component of any good business strategy.

One of best books I’ve read is The Fourth Turning by Neil Howe and William Strauss. It was published in the 1990s but they foretold what’s happening to the USA today and it’s not going to end in a happy way.

That Neil Howe has regular articles on how generations are currently impacting business and life in the US.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Probably they're correct but there can be quite a difference in viewpoints between the different generations.
    According to a graph I saw the other day on CNBC based on US analysis over the last 20 years, young people are consistently considerable more optimistic than the over 55 age group. HLG group targeting the right demographic group then eh
    Great to see their digital sales roaring ahead to 15%, substantially more than other N.Z. retailers.
    If you look at the personal situation (red line) from latest Westpac report things look quite reasonable ...and optimistic

Media cheered on by bank economists still sensationalising things ....must want interest rates to go negative
    Attached Images Attached Images

No worries one way or the other. HLG is the most resilient retailer I know of and having money in there at over 10% is arguably safer than some of the banks !
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Backing out property and Storm impacts it wasn’t really a great year for HLG

Retail concepts combined NPAT was down $1.0m on last year.

The much vaunted Glassons AU NPAT was about the same as last year - they were behind at H1 but recovered in H2 so that’s a good sign even though performance always seems a bit lumpy.

Glassons NZ had a good H2 and NPAT was $0.7m more than last year

Hallensteins was a disaster with NPAT down $1.7m on last year. What’s a worry is that all that shortfall happened in H2. Quite a few comments in the narrative about this and one hopes that the positive spin they put on a shocking H2 result is enough to stop an impending train wreck. Appears the modern girl not buying from Hallensteins like they were supposed too in that cool media campaign they did earlier this year

Overall impression — the rave about sales growth not being converted into earnings growth. That’s a worry - maybe f20 won’t be as flash as many expect.

I note they got $7.8m Cash from that property sale. That helped maintain the high divie other wise divie would have put a big hole in cash reserves

Operating Cash Flow was $36.0m and they spent $19.9m on PPE resulting in Free Cash Flow of $16.1m but they paid $26m in divies.

Suppose they have more properties to sell if they want to continue paying big divies as well spending heaps on expansion and store upgrades

Banned

As you know winner sometimes you have to spend money to make even more money down the track, just like A2 aye. PS-Now I know why 99% of my money is in these 2 stocks.

Selling heaps more and making less not always a good sign

The 3 concepts sold $15m more than year before but made $1m less ...hmmm

Glassons AU worst performer — sales up $11m with no increase in npat. Can’t really rave about that.

Hallensteins sold a few suits more but NPAT was down $1.7m

At least Glassons NZ did sort of OK with sales up $3.8m and npat up $0.7m but you wouldn’t call that great growth in sales.

One thing HLG accounts are easy to read

Better stop reading them too much ...might find other not so good things and I might get shot down in flames if I say too much more.

Good yield though at $6

…just try’n to manage expectations… Maverick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Backing out property and Storm impacts it wasn’t really a great year for HLG

Retail concepts combined NPAT was down $1.0m on last year.

The much vaunted Glassons AU NPAT was about the same as last year - they were behind at H1 but recovered in H2 so that’s a good sign even though performance always seems a bit lumpy.

Glassons NZ had a good H2 and NPAT was $0.7m more than last year

Hallensteins was a disaster with NPAT down $1.7m on last year. What’s a worry is that all that shortfall happened in H2. Quite a few comments in the narrative about this and one hopes that the positive spin they put on a shocking H2 result is enough to stop an impending train wreck. Appears the modern girl not buying from Hallensteins like they were supposed too in that cool media campaign they did earlier this year

Overall impression — the rave about sales growth not being converted into earnings growth. That’s a worry - maybe f20 won’t be as flash as many expect.
    Nice detail and considerations there Winner. There is no doubt it is a great company and has been well run for ages.
    It is a very solid result, right on track, but I'm not convinced AU revenue growth will proportionally equate to profit growth either.
    I understand the niche it has targeted in NZ in consideration to it's competitors here but have no idea if there is a similar space in the market over there.
    It may well do, but seeking growth offshore has been the undoing of so many NZ companies so makes me extremely cautious.(RBD and Zero being the standout exceptions- so it can be done).
    While the share price was 3-4 bucks this company was as good as gold but at $6 I' ll wait for a better rentry price or evidence of AU NPAT growth.
    I am also cautious it has 2 fab summer seasons in a row, I do not accept yet that this should be viewed as normal.
    On the plus side, I do like their aggressive expansion with their online focus. Amazon really spooked the retail market a few years back but HLG has had time and used it well to get ahead of the game if Amazon decide to venture over here.
    But again , it was a very good result and excellent imputed dividend as anticipated.
    Last edited by Maverick; 28-09-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    As you know winner sometimes you have to spend money to make even more money down the track, just like A2 aye. PS-Now I know why 99% of my money is in these 2 stocks.
    Agree with you mate ....good they are spending heaps on stores etc

They always seem to find the cash for doingbthatvas well as paying out big divies.

Fair observations Winner but I note this performance is still very solid and against a backdrop of the currency and consumer confidence at multi year lows.
    This underscores the resiliency of the business. When business conditions return to more normal levels...

Can't help myself comparing it to another iconic high yielding N.Z. company which also has a very long track record and had challenging conditions in FY19.
    AIR also maintained their dividend but with it had their lowest profit in 5 years. I guess this shows the relative resiliency of the two companies.
    Last edited by Beagle; 28-09-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine