sharetrader
Page 43 of 899 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393143543 ... LastLast
    Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Yeshiva View Post
    The dividend is historically superb, though more due to P/E compression of late. I don't have any Hallensteins shares but they do seem to be very good retailers. My only worry is that they are forgoing opportunities for growth by paying out so much cash to shareholders.
    They tried the growth bit several years ago in Australia with mixed results. Perhaps they've concluded that clothing retailing is a crowded market with only limited opportunities for growth; that it's better to concentrate on improving the current business rather than spending a lot of capital on expansion?

Disc: Don't hold but have often considered buying what has been one of NZ's consistently better retailers.
    Last edited by macduffy; 22-01-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    FWIW I was in ST Lukes just after new year and Glassons and Hallenstiens stores were incredibly busy. I was very surprised...both stores were really teaming with heaps of people.
    Disc - Don't hold, just adding a tiny bit of anecdotal evidence.
    Just a bit more anecdotal also.....in Melbourne Glassons foot traffic seemed moderate but Kathmandu was absolutely dead - went into 2 stores on different days and I was the only one in there apart from staff in major stores .....prob more relevant to KMD thread but all the stuff was overpriced and marked down to still over priced levels - god knows how KMD will be turned around.

Disc - hold HLG at $3.19, no KMD

Month nearly over and WHS and MHI only retailers to tout how good they were over Xmas (verItas don't count)

No news from others suggest it was a bit ho hum for them - not bad but not good?

Might be a late Friday afternoon just before a long weekend for the shakers and movers coming up - hope not
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Last trading day of January today and still no update from HLG. Monday is going to be later than "late January".

Bad news coming at 5.01 pm, maybe?

I made contact through the investor website and have been informed that a NZX release will be made no later than the end of this week.

I am confident of a good announcement, given the general NZ positive indicators of the trading period.

Holding.

Quote Originally Posted by Antipodean View Post
    I made contact through the investor website and have been informed that a NZX release will be made no later than the end of this week.

I am confident of a good announcement, given the general NZ positive indicators of the trading period.

Holding.
    Good one Antipodean

As a matter of interest what do see as an 'acceptable' growth figure.

I would be disappointed if not at least 7% (bare minimum) - other wise my FY forecast shot to pieces
    Last edited by winner69; 04-02-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Other retailers appear to have had a good Christmas season...even the humble WHS and KMD which have been struggling lately, Briscoes too (which is not a surprise) so its quite a curiosity to see such depth on the sell side and the price quite weak. Go figure ? Hope its not a 5.10 p.m. type NZX release if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-02-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I think this is more than disappointing - really disappointing

https://www.nzx.com/files/attachments/229295.pdf
    Last edited by winner69; 05-02-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Half year sales up a miserly 1.3%

Gross margin 4% points below the same period last year due to the lower exchange rate and also to competitive influences.

Group net profit after tax down 20%

The dividend of 13 cents will make many happy

News out

Probably has expected in spite of pretty good retail environment

Result probably built into the price as all factors known ...but expectations might have higher (punters too excited?)

Share price could go up today - maybe $3.40 to $3.50
    Last edited by winner69; 05-02-2016 at 08:59 AM.