sharetrader
Page 448 of 899 FirstFirst ... 348398438444445446447448449450451452458498548 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,480 of 8983
    Guru

Dr F says a 50% rate is a game changer. Flu is only 50-60. Your being too risk averse my young friends ant thinking like that. Check with the under 30's and you will find they just dont get effected the same way as there time horizon is out there over the rainbow and at the beach..

its .... gone ...

happy to hold these till 2023 and beyond. Only retail stock we may keep.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 19-08-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The biggest unknown of all, how long are we going to be dealing with lockdown's from Covid and will things ever return to the way they were pre Covid and will vaccines when they are eventually available be all that effective ?

I think talk of $5-$6 assumes things are going to go back to pre covid normal sometime in 2021 and that looks VERY optimistic to me.
    The good news is that HLG has managed to make their business work effectively under "new normal" circumstances!

Guru

""new normal" circumstances!"

with saving and TD rating disappearing down the river 5 dollars target was the old 4.

some people are thinking like the old normal and the new normal is negative interest rates soooon...

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    The good news is that HLG has managed to make their business work effectively under "new normal" circumstances!
    Can't disagree with that other than to note their performance has in no small way been assisted with an abundance of Government stimulus.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Can't disagree with that other than to note their performance has in no small way been assisted with an abundance of Government stimulus.
    Beagle, you've been down on HLG for quite some time, but now it's sounding like sour grapes. It's one of the few remaining decent stocks that has still been trading well south of pre-covid levels, and yet they've got a well proven track record spanning, what is it, ~150 years through many a recession while continuing to pay dividends. Dam it all, I was within a gnat's whisker of topping up at $3.06 the other day! That's less than half their pre-covid level...if that didn't look like a bargain in today's crazy market, then I don't know what does. Yeah, there are challenges ahead, but factor in the current interest rate environment and pre-covid pricing is suddenly looking not so steep!
    Last edited by Cyclical; 19-08-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Great result, much better than expected way back in March and even better than as recently as yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Beagle, you've been down on HLG for quite some time, but now it's sounding like sour grapes. It's one of the few remaining decent stocks that has still been trading well south of pre-covid levels, and yet they've got a well proven track record spanning, what is it, ~150 years through many a recession while continuing to pay dividends. Dam it all, I was within a gnat's whisker of topping up at $3.06 the other day! That's less than half their pre-covid level...if that didn't look like a bargain in today's crazy market, then I don't know what does. Yeah, there are challenges ahead, but factor in the current interest rate environment and pre-covid pricing is suddenly looking not so steep!
    Just calling it as I see it mate. Govt can't keep printing money forever and their apparent inability to execute effectively at the border suggests HLG like many other business's will have to deal with lockdowns from its own resources at some stage. Yes it was a great result as I acknowledged earlier today. What's a fair price ?...I'm assuming the situation in Victoria and Auckland is extremely problematic for quite some time and I will be very pleased if I am wrong. Others will make different assumptions about the effect of Covid on retail and come up with different valuations but the truth is we're all just guessing.

I'm guessing its logical younger investors will be less concerned about Covid that older investors.
    Last edited by Beagle; 19-08-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Guru

"What's a fair price ?"

well for me its the div and with other stocks on the market its undervalued compared to many others paying 3% but the risk factor of retail always means HLG lags the market due to risk. Its not an air line stock but its not a GNE or MCY.

Thats why i believe a price between 3.50 and 4 dollars is far value at present based on there balance sheet, cash flow and ability to pay a dividend when most other cannot even think about it in retail for at least another 12 months including the likes of entertainment like skc.

A bounce back down to 3.50 as per chart and we will double down and i suspect others will be thinking this as well..

Mr C called it right.
    Last edited by Waltzing; 19-08-2020 at 01:34 PM.

yeh retail is worrisome so I never increased during the lulls, instead diversifying into MHJ, but am happily hodling on with a current 8% exposure. a dividend is nice and will still be a reasonable return even on my highish average entry price.

I have faith in the way they operate even more now though !
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Legend

A very respectable result in the circumstances from HLG with previous canned Interim Div paid out in a few weeks time
    & possible further final dividend being considered 25 Sep.

If Final Div is near or above the 15c Interim, then a good Dividend yield too with tax credits usually attached

Try finding a bank or institution which pays similarly well now, as we lurch towards possible negative interest rates

I have have good deal of respect for these guys - very astute proven operators in the game

Discl: Holder
    Last edited by nztx; 19-08-2020 at 01:34 PM.