sharetrader
Page 479 of 899 FirstFirst ... 379429469475476477478479480481482483489529579 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 8983
    Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I was very happy with Silver Fern Farms (one of my largest holdings) taking the subsidy but when things turned out better than expected, they paid it back in full before announcing dividends.
    Silver Fern Farms did not have to close their doors during the lockdown. As a food processor and supplier they were able to continue almost as usual. Hence they did not meet the criterium of a 30% loss in revenue for that month and would have had to pay it back in due course anyway.

Absolutely agree that it was morally wrong for any company to take the wage subsidy when it wasn't required. I think everyone just applied for it because they fit into the criteria. This was nothing more than a handout in need.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I was very happy with Silver Fern Farms (one of my largest holdings) taking the subsidy but when things turned out better than expected, they paid it back in full before announcing dividends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Silver Fern Farms did not have to close their doors during the lockdown. As a food processor and supplier they were able to continue almost as usual. Hence they did not meet the criterium of a 30% loss in revenue for that month and would have had to pay it back in due course anyway.
    Exactly right, Jantar.

Silver Fern Farms - an essential industry which operated right through the lockdowns & enjoyed record revenues via export sales.

They repaid because their revenues were intact and did not drop 30%.

Alliance Meats only repaid half their wage subsidy because they did suffer revenue drop.
    Last edited by Balance; 07-10-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    When the lockdown first occurred no-one knew how long it would go on for. The purpose of the subsidy was to keep staff employed.

Would you have been happier in HLG did not take the subsidy and instead chose to lay off most retail staff, hoping to re-employ them after the lockdown ended?
    Exactly. The moral outrage is misplaced. Nobody knew how long the crisis would go on for. Hindsight is 20/20 and its very easy to look back now and make moral judgement calls expecting the directors to have had perfect foresight in the midst of the Covid lockdown.

The fact is the Directors postponed the interim dividend due in April 2020, (a first for them as they paid dividends throughout the GFC) so they obviously viewed the lockdown at that time as extremely serious. HLG appears to have often had to pay rent for shuttered stores and pay employees their full wages. I reiterate that the wage subsidy only covered some of their employees costs, (exactly the ones the Govt mandated that should be covered).
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I'm going to take the bait..come on, spill the beans.
    Read your PM - decipher and decide!

Disclosure of interest - bought more today.
    Last edited by Balance; 07-10-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Anyway, I am picking HLG's sp to be $6.50 to at least on 16 October 2020.

You guys will have to figure out for yourself what is likely to happen next week to drive the sp to that level!

It's actually quite obvious!

Huge result from WHS on Thursday ...WHS shareprice zooms up .....and HLG follow suit
    Last edited by winner69; 07-10-2020 at 04:12 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Read your PM - decipher and decide!

Disclosure of interest - bought more today.
    Hmmm...disclosure...I bought some more today too. Some information is too good to share, just buy before others do
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Hmmm...disclosure...I bought some more today too. Some information is too good to share, just buy before others do
    Ramping gentlemen?

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by 850man View Post
    Ramping gentlemen?
    That should help it through $6 mark for the day

Guru

Well sales might be up but did sales increase because people were sitting at home with nothing to do with Sub in the bank and thought great ill buy some more clothes on special discount prices? Next trading update will be the one to whatch.