sharetrader
Page 525 of 899 FirstFirst ... 25425475515521522523524525526527528529535575625 ... LastLast
Results 5,241 to 5,250 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    We are increasingly hearing about difficulties in accessing stock from various industries. I heard from a mate that works at ITM that they are fast running out of stock of building materials and delivery times that used to be 1-2 months are already up to 5-6 months. He believes it will seriously slow down housebuilding this summer. Some shipping companies have or are considering canceling some NZ routes and are bypassing little old NZ because of our very stringent COVID port controls and small market.
    I wonder if this is already affecting HLG as well !
    Hope this isn't the reality, or if it is, that it's short lived...would have some pretty big repercussions for our economy.

Clothings are generally high margin relatively light weight and non bulky items (especially summer wear) so air freight is a realistic alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Clothings are generally high margin relatively light weight and non bulky items (especially summer wear) so air freight is a realistic alternative?
    Not much fabric in these...I could scarcely believe a good friend of mine suggested tongue in cheek that HLG could keep raising their profit margins more and more and more by using less and less and less fabric https://www.glassons.com/offer/swim-...SORT_RELEVANCE
    I suggested management are already on to pushing the boundaries to a pretty "fine line" in that regard !
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-11-2020 at 09:48 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Hopefully, but we are also seeing huge increases in airfreight charges and very limited space. For example its very difficult to get our fresh lamb to Europe for Christmas. I worry that we are about to see a significant negative economic shock in NZ due to this but hopefully I'm wrong

Hopefully, but we are also seeing huge increases in airfreight charges and very limited space. For example its very difficult to get our fresh lamb to Europe for Christmas. I worry that we are about to see a significant negative economic shock in NZ due to this but hopefully I'm wrong
    I think Tim Glasson and his team are well accomplished with handling logistical challenges. Freight costs as a challenge are mentioned in page 4 of the annual report.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I think Tim Glasson and his team are well accomplished with handling logistical challenges. Freight costs as a challenge are mentioned in page 4 of the annual report.
    So with Air NZ also having a lot of experience handling logistical challenges are you now long not short them? If the volume available through sea freight drops, its going to be a big problem. The cargo space in a plane hold is just not the same as in a cargo ship.

Mention of the Annual Report made me have a closer look

So glad they now include a few pages on Sustainability. People, Planet and Product a good framework to start.

Has this been included because Mary thinks it’s more important than previous MDs did

Besides the discussion on bad fabrics, waste and slave labour it’s good to see HLG also have a diversity policy that ensures they have a diverse and inclusive workforce.

https://www.hallensteinglasson.co.nz...ion-Policy.pdf
    Last edited by winner69; 14-11-2020 at 10:46 AM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    So with Air NZ also having a lot of experience handling logistical challenges are you now long not short them? If the volume available through sea freight drops, its going to be a big problem. The cargo space in a plane hold is just not the same as in a cargo ship.
    At some stage AIR will be a speculative buy but we need to see some definite glimmer of light at the end of the Covid tunnel. I think Pfizer's announcement this week amounts to the possibility of a glimmer of light but time will tell and speaking of logistical challenges the difficulties with up tooling sufficient manufacturing capacity and then distributing this throughout the world and storing it at -75 degrees cannot be underestimated !. First AIR have to undertake a large cash issue to get their balance sheet into reasonable shape and I think the risk reward balance is skewed heavily towards risk until at the very earliest that's behind the company.
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-11-2020 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Mention of the Annual Report made me have a closer look

So glad they now include a few pages on Sustainability. People, Planet and Product a good framework to start.

Has this been included because Mary thinks it’s more important than previous MDs did

Besides the discussion on bad fabrics, waste and slave labour it’s good to see HLG also have a diversity policy that ensures they have a diverse and inclusive workforce.

https://www.hallensteinglasson.co.nz...ion-Policy.pdf
    I thought you'd enjoy pages 10-13 of the annual report If you go onto www.hallensteinglasson.co.nz/sustainability you can download the whole 61 page report and really fill your boots to your hearts content.
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-11-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

We are increasingly hearing about difficulties in accessing stock from various industries. I heard from a mate that works at ITM that they are fast running out of stock of building materials and delivery times that used to be 1-2 months are already up to 5-6 months. He believes it will seriously slow down housebuilding this summer. Some shipping companies have or are considering canceling some NZ routes and are bypassing little old NZ because of our very stringent COVID port controls and small market.
    I wonder if this is already affecting HLG as well !
    It would be a shame if you all end up with "My partner went pressie shopping at Hallensteins and all I got was this T-shirt" T-shirts.

Clothing bundled up for transport is pretty dense freight.
    om mani peme hum