sharetrader
Page 564 of 899 FirstFirst ... 64464514554560561562563564565566567568574614664 ... LastLast
Results 5,631 to 5,640 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by Playa View Post
    Which ones would be your other 4?and if you had to put all the eggs in one basket and choose 1,which one would that be?
    dont do that dude .... Beagle is good but anyone can get something wrong, or a situation can develop around a particular company. Maverick may call it diWorseification but the text book says that diversification is the only true free lunch.....
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    obviously you 2 only care about stuffing your faces with crayfish and washing it down with wine , but not about brand damage. short term thinking at its best

it is no wonder a great company like briscoes is up 22% since announcing the payback of the wage subsidy and hlg is up 1% after not doing the same
    I think there may be something wrong with the way you calculate percentages. Briscoes announced they would pay back their share of the subsidy on 16th Oct. On that date they were trading at $4.00 so up around 25%. On the same day HLG were trading at $6.00, now $6.60 after a $0.24 dividend. So HLG are up by 14%. That is a touch more than the 1% you claim.

I still don't see why you would prefer that should have laid staff off rather than pay the subsidy to their staff and kept them employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Playa View Post
    Which ones would be your other 4?and if you had to put all the eggs in one basket and choose 1,which one would that be?
    These 5 are my highest conviction positions and I feel well positioned with them for ongoing market outperformance in 2021.
    HLG, HGH, OCA and these two won't fit the stock picking competition criteria BRMWF (Barramundi warrants exercisable on 31/10/21) and PAZ (Unlisted market).

Regarding your second question...I will simply restate my belief that I believe it is prudent to have checks and balances around one's own ability to predict the future as nobody can say with absolute certainty what the future may bring. Ecclesiastes 11:2 Invest in seven ventures, yes, in eight; you do not know what disaster may come upon the land.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I think there may be something wrong with the way you calculate percentages. Briscoes announced they would pay back their share of the subsidy on 16th Oct. On that date they were trading at $4.00 so up around 25%. On the same day HLG were trading at $6.00, now $6.60 after a $0.24 dividend. So HLG are up by 14%. That is a touch more than the 1% you claim.

I still don't see why you would prefer that should have laid staff off rather than pay the subsidy to their staff and kept them employed.
    i just took a date a mth ago for those figures so it be all different depending on the date you start with . the point was you could make a statement to say the differing approaches to the subsidy had an effect on the stock performance of the 2 companies if you were looking for reasons of why one stock is doing better than the other.
    one step ahead of the herd

i just took a date a mth ago for those figures so it be all different depending on the date you start with . the point was you could make a statement to say the differing approaches to the subsidy had an effect on the stock performance of the 2 companies if you were looking for reasons of why one stock is doing better than the other.
    Off to order the crayfish - delivered live on Saturday morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Off to order the crayfish - delivered live on Saturday morning.
    You have my upmost respect for upholding your right to do whatsoever you like with your dividend and pushing back against the political correctness of this wage subsidy repayment issue.

As far as I am concerned HLG have stated their position and that's the end of the matter. I am not going to get drawn into repetitive circular arguments as its already been very fiercely debated on here at great length and I feel very strongly it is time to move on and its better for people to simply agree to disagree.

In terms of use of the dividend, I strongly believe that's nobody's business but the person receiving it and they are fully entitled to it as their reward for their risk capital employed.
    That said I'd wager there's many people on here that are deeply involved in Church, charitable and philanthropic activities but don't feel its right or appropriate that they trumpet their efforts on here or anywhere else for that matter.

One such lovely lady it has been my real honor and inspiration to meet in recent weeks at my Mum's retirement village is a lady about 80 who is as fit as a fiddle, a retired nurse who spends all her days in voluntary work helping and supporting others in the village and has been doing for many, many years. Her tireless help, knowledge, care and support has been extremely valuable to us as we have struggled to get my Mum from her independent living unit into first class full time hospital level care. I honestly don't know how we would have coped without her. Christianity with its sleeves rolled up ! In my entire life I have never seen a finer example of selfless service to others. She has supported countless families in the village through the last stages of life's journey and I think of Elizabeth as our heaven sent Angel in our time of need. My Mum only has weeks to live but she is 91, in no pain, has a strong faith in God and I am at peace with what is coming and so is she.

Sorry for the thread diversion folks.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-12-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

summerset paying back the wage subsidy hlg , take note it might come back and bite you if you end up being the last nzx one not doing so.
    SUM are quite different, they still had people working during lockdown. HLG had stores closed and staff not working during lockdown.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by 850man View Post
    SUM are quite different, they still had people working during lockdown. HLG had stores closed and staff not working during lockdown.
    Finally some logic.

Quote Originally Posted by 850man View Post
    ....but HLG had a mountain of cash (at least $50m) in the bank to keep paying people if they so desired
    Last edited by winner69; 16-12-2020 at 03:19 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Legend

Isn't there a Special Thread elsewhere especially for the ins & outs & debate on Covid-19 Wage Subsidies ?