sharetrader
Page 61 of 899 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161561 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    Only 1001 sets of accounts - lazy bugger

Accountants understand margins and what input costs can do for them - good or bad

But more importantly margin management comes instinctively to real retailers and the older they get the more canny they get. Rod Duke as the high profile one but HLG have Graeme Popplewell as CEO and Tim Glasson as a Director

Both of these guys (like Rod Duke) instinctively know how to make a buck and I would say far better at it than any accountant. Making a buck just a term for margin management - simple really, buy stuff that punters want at a good price and sell it at a good price(s) and don't get left with too much on the shelf at the end of the day.. HLG have done this very well over many decades - one of the highest margin retailers in NZ and never any real cash problems from having too much stock. They have doing this without any debt as well

Guys like Rod, Graeme and Tim also know things don't stand still - the world changes, fads come and go, competitors come and go. Some of their new stores are pretty classy and I believe the new Christchurch store is going to be the best yet. That will stop Top Shop contemplating going to Christchurch

Hallensteins been going since 1873 and Glassons since early 1900's - I reckon they still be going many more decades with good margins and generating plenty of cash
    Top post mate and shows you have a very good understanding of the business and the calibre of the people involved unlike some others on here.

Advanced Member

I repeat my question who goes shopping at HLG these days (appreciate the ticker correction paper tiger) ?

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boysy View Post
    I repeat my question who goes shopping at HLG these days (appreciate the ticker correction paper tiger) ?
    My last foray into said store unwittingly resulted in brutal competition with many sharp elbowed women folk; there wasn't even a sale on. The online revolution might well be stymied by the fairer genders love of shopping as combat sport. I don't know where this puts HLG but it does explain the abomination that are boxers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hectorplains View Post
    My last foray into said store unwittingly resulted in brutal competition with many sharp elbowed women folk; there wasn't even a sale on. The online revolution might well be stymied by the fairer genders love of shopping as combat sport. I don't know where this puts HLG but it does explain the abomination that are boxers.
    Betcha most of those women folk had glowing cheeks and smooth skin as a result of swearing by what rosehip and other decentomen folk Trilogy skin care products does for you

And those same women folk had bought their Trilogy from the pharmacy next door - no on line stuff for them
    Last edited by winner69; 12-08-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Divorced from logic Hectorplains's Avatar

Betcha most of those women folk had glowing cheeks and smooth skin as a result of swearing by what rosehip and other decentomen folk Trilogy skin care products does for you

And those same women folk had bought their Trilogy from the pharmacy next door - no on line stuff for them
    Yeah, exactly that! They paid for their armloads of boxer shorts with Heartland eftpos cards, whilst furiously devouring Mr Apples' Jazz apples too. Probably boarded an AIR plane for the journey home...

IMO

Business men buy their suits and shirts there
    Raz stocks up big every 5 years
    I bought 2 tshirts for $20 last week
    Teenagers from comfortable white middle income demographics buy Tough hoodys and Gangsta trou there for street creed attempts.
    Percy goes in there just to look and insert bookmarks in pockets and count them next week.
    PT pilots drones in and out of their shops looking for non aligned panel prints.
    W69 sits outside with a notice(I am Blind) and a soup tureen collection bowl.
    W69Two sits at the next shop front with shades on ;his sign says , "i can see quite clearly"
    Roger sits outside in a tip truck , motor running. The tarp moves and a beagle eases to the ground and sneaks in amongst the slacks and boxer shorts, exits moments later with a satisfied grin , jumps back under tarp and settles amidst 10,000 pairs of slightly worn plimsolls.
    James and GR8Day coast past in a convertible hummer throwing darts at a board mounted on the radiator cap
    boysy drives past in an austin cambridge blue with a white stripe and retrofitted with an airbag. He doesn't look.
    Hector brushes against womens elbows going for a record ;23 jabs in the ribs.
    Snoopy labourishly writes out a 5 page parking ticket to Roger pointing to the multiple chalk marks and oil stains.
    Hoop is sign writing the shop window in squiggly lines, correcting them and also offering palm readings to passing Milfs on the side.
    Hallees is humming and all is well on this sunny friday afternoon.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 13-08-2016 at 12:09 AM.

Last time I saw Roger ramping something, it was AIR: it duely went from about 305 to 205. Hopefully he's more successful here.

I've thought for a while that 270 was a bit low for HLG. It's a decent stock caught in a rough patch. I'd definitely count it for 330 within a few months. $4, I'm not so sure though.

I'd definitely ignore the talk about the dividend. That's a historical measure and HLG likes to keep their divvie high, regardless of the profit. Hopefully dividend and profit can both improve in the next 24 months. When divvie yield is greater than profit, it's just not sustainable!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybycrikey View Post
    Last time I saw Roger ramping something, it was AIR: it duely went from about 305 to 205. Hopefully he's more successful here.

I've thought for a while that 270 was a bit low for HLG. It's a decent stock caught in a rough patch. I'd definitely count it for 330 within a few months. $4, I'm not so sure though.

I'd definitely ignore the talk about the dividend. That's a historical measure and HLG likes to keep their divvie high, regardless of the profit. Hopefully dividend and profit can both improve in the next 24 months. When divvie yield is greater than profit, it's just not sustainable!
    Interesting comments, I decided to returning to the real world yesterday and attend office drinks at Raz's business and see how the worker bees are doing with HLG very much on my mind.

What i found is a fragmented market in the world of shopping from an informal survey..the administrators, under paid and over worked, bless them, find no time to get out of the office so resort to internet shopping..usually the cheaper sites. The touch team are fizzing with the prospect of planning a major shop after their Sydney tournament visit, good for them, just loving the cross rate. One associate is planning a trip to USA and I point her towards Portland, great vib of a city with tax free shopping..try Washington Square, Tigard, I kindly suggest.

My aspiring managers are all wearing clothes from Sergio's or Euro style as we exchanged pleasantries while my main managers say their wives do the shopping and most of it is via the internet with UK sites in favour currently.

Also love within this group for the USD being higher...more future US trip being planned by the sounds of it.

The older set seem to buy from farmers when I caught up.

Pick up the kids from sport on the way home and suggest HLG and the reaction will not get repeated here.

It use to be HLG was go to shopping or at least always considered and they did not get a mention from anyone..I rest my case..trigger finger ready to sell.

The forex rate stronger may work for HLG however it makes other options cheaper as well...including shopping trips overseas.
    Last edited by Raz; 13-08-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Only 1001 sets of accounts - lazy bugger

Accountants understand margins and what input costs can do for them - good or bad

But more importantly margin management comes instinctively to real retailers and the older they get the more canny they get. Rod Duke as the high profile one but HLG have Graeme Popplewell as CEO and Tim Glasson as a Director

Both of these guys (like Rod Duke) instinctively know how to make a buck and I would say far better at it than any accountant. Making a buck just a term for margin management - simple really, buy stuff that punters want at a good price and sell it at a good price(s) and don't get left with too much on the shelf at the end of the day.. HLG have done this very well over many decades - one of the highest margin retailers in NZ and never any real cash problems from having too much stock. They have doing this without any debt as well

Guys like Rod, Graeme and Tim also know things don't stand still - the world changes, fads come and go, competitors come and go. Some of their new stores are pretty classy and I believe the new Christchurch store is going to be the best yet. That will stop Top Shop contemplating going to Christchurch

Hallensteins been going since 1873 and Glassons since early 1900's - I reckon they still be going many more decades with good margins and generating plenty of cash
    Not correct about Christchurch CBD shopping, I can confirm several international and high profile locals competitors are already signed up for Christchurch CBD. They are not scaring anyone off :-)

About 18 months ago I brought a pair of jeans from HLG, being a gold card holder they will probably be the last pair of jeans that I am very going to buy