sharetrader
Page 614 of 899 FirstFirst ... 114514564604610611612613614615616617618624664714 ... LastLast
Results 6,131 to 6,140 of 8983

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    And yet this paints a far more rosy picture https://thebull.com.au/biggest-lift-...+February+2021

Excerpt “At a national level, clothing, footwear and personal accessory retailing (18.1 per cent), and cafes, restaurants and takeaway food services (10.4 per cent), led the rises in seasonally adjusted volume terms. Hard to make sense of statistics sometimes...I suppose its how one interprets them.

I am REALLY looking forward to the trading update and profit forecast, maybe as early as this coming week ?
    That 18.1% you highlighted is for the Dec Quarter v September (interesting that September quarter increase was 35.5%)

And I note Bull did say for December month sector was down 9.4%

Quarter may have looked good but appears as if things might be slowing (in seasonally adjusted terms)

Just as well HLG don't report sales in seasonally adjusted terms
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Banned

Got to be fair the sales down...one can only buy so much clothing.... people don't change it like toilet paper

Several reports use seasonally adjusted numbers

I prefer using actual dollars and comparing to prior corresponding period - ie month v same month a year prior

Below are the actual numbers

Look for what you want to see

My insight - things are looking better but still a long way to get to pre covid sales levels

Thanks mate, clears it up. Against that backdrop when the company last updated shareholders at the annual meeting on the first 18 weeks trading performance, sales were up 14.51% and they said :-
    TRADING OUTLOOK
    Finally, in summary the trading outlook.
    We are pleased with trading year to date....
    We are particularly pleased with the growth for Glassons in Australia, and this remains a key growth opportunity for the business....

I think what we can conclude is that in Australia Glassons is making very good market share gains and is increasing recognized by Australian consumers as a desirable brand.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-02-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

“Where did that huge ‘cash mountain’ go?” we possibly be asking when the cash balance at end of January is back to more normal levels.

Suppose we will have to wait until they publish their half year financials before we can answer that question.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...DN3XAYI5D5IMY/

paywalled

What to expect this earnings season when NZX companies report next week?

"Retailers and building sector businesses are expected to provide bright spots in the upcoming reporting season while tourism and border exposed businesses continue to do it tough."

"They have just had an unbelievable amount of stimulus benefit from the general economy but the more open question with them is just have they got enough stock to keep it all going?"

deleted repeat repeat
    Last edited by Balance; 09-02-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...DN3XAYI5D5IMY/

paywalled

What to expect this earnings season when NZX companies report next week?

"Retailers and building sector businesses are expected to provide bright spots in the upcoming reporting season while tourism and border exposed businesses continue to do it tough."

"They have just had an unbelievable amount of stimulus benefit from the general economy but the more open question with them is just have they got enough stock to keep it all going?"
    Better make a comment now in case the website goes down again. (Thanks to the admin team and Vince for your very hard work getting it back up and running)
    Couple of things.
    Firstly, the trading update will be any day now and I am expecting a very strong update and forecast for the first half

Secondly on the question of "how much of the profit gain will be in respect of a one-off Covid bounce-back spending phenomenon" ? Looking at the detail of the Australian apparel retail data Winner kindly posted recently, unless I am misreading the data it looks like there has been little if any bounce-back in apparel in Australia. By extension one could conclude the detail here is very similar so I would propose that the vast majority of the strong growth about to be reported is genuine market share gain and not a one-off.
    One-off spending gains is certainly happening in some sectors like home renovation, no argument about that, but for apparel, not nearly so much if any.
    Last edited by Beagle; 09-02-2021 at 05:43 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Better make a comment now in case the website goes down again. (Thanks to the admin team and Vince for your very hard work getting it back up and running)
    Couple of things.
    Firstly, the trading update will be any day now and I am expecting a very strong update and forecast for the first half

Secondly on the question of "how much of the profit gain will be in respect of a one-off Covid bounce-back spending phenomenon" ? Looking at the detail of the Australian apparel retail data Winner kindly posted recently, unless I am misreading the data it looks like there has been little if any bounce-back in apparel in Australia. By extension one could conclude the detail here is very similar so I would propose that the vast majority of the strong growth about to be reported is genuine market share gain and not a one-off.
    One-off spending gains is certainly happening in some sectors like home renovation, no argument about that, but for apparel, not nearly so much if any.
    Good point, Beagle.

And the fashion industry is about brand & the perception of the brand with its target market.

Glassons appears to be scoring very very well on that front in its growth market of Australia.

H & M to close seven stores across Aust. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...A5OCRFNVPN3WE/